Being positive

Hi All. Hope you're all well or on the road to being well.

I'm new to the NHS 12 week plan and I've had a rocky start, but I've decided to change my mindset.....three days of being consciously aware of my calorie intake isn't great, but it's better than seven spent eating without any thought. Now I know that's not the goal, but I'm easing myself in and preparing for the 12 week commitment. It feels achievable - 1400 calories and 150 minutes of exercise. I'm doing much better on week two.

My tip this week would be that I've discovered Oat So Simple Porridge (50g Container - just add water) - 190 calories/3.6g fat. I add a little stewed apple (no sugar, just use a little water) - it's a big warm, hearty breakfast and it's FILLING. I find if I keep my breakfast calories to about 250 I stay on track for the day. I also made the banana milkshake from the 100 calorie food snack list....super yummy with an overripe banana that I normally barf at the thought of eating. The porridge tastes really good (well, it does with the apple) and it very convenient.

I have about 8kg's to lose....I have two little kids and the heavier I get the harder it is to play and look after them. That's fairly good motivation (I hope)

9 Replies

• It's good to hear that you are motivated to lose weight. Since I started my workout and diet plan I feel more better. I have two lovely kids that join me on my workout mode. If I do my aerobics, they do the same too. I enjoy my indoor workout with my kids. I keep my body slimmer than ever with my daily exercise, healthy eating and body toning cream/body wraps.

• Thank you for both reading and replying to my post. Well done for working out with the kids - you're definitely setting a very positive example for them. I've done really well this week. I am not inactive generally, but I have ramped it up and feel the benefits already. That's what I love about the body - it responds so well when we look after it.

• That great well done! You are so right about keeping track of calories being better than eating without thought. I eat porridge in the morning too, I have normal plain porridge oats (40g) with two teaspoons of honey and a handful of blueberries. It's yum! I also find eggs filling in the morning, so sometimes I will have two poached eggs on one slice of brown toast.

Keep up the good work

• Hi Becca. Thanks for reading and replying to my post. You inspired me to have scrambled eggs for breakfast. The one mouthful I ate was delicious....the rest was scoffed by the two year old!

• That's great and you have good motivation. Well done

• Thank you for taking the time to comment. Love the profile picture.

• You're right to identify that you need a filling, slow-release breakfast to keep you going. You're also right to pinpoint that it's all about mindset. Without a change in mindset there is no progress.

When I had 2 littlies I was the slimmest I've ever been because I never stopped running around after them. Long days, morning to night. But our lifestyle was different then.

• Hi Margrete. Thank you for both reading and taking the time to reply to my post. You sound like a wise lady and you're definitely right in saying that lifestyles have changed (for both better and worse). As a family we are reasonably active and I was well on the road to losing the extra weight I'd gained over my pregnancies, but my Dad passed away and I got a bit lazy with my food choices. Onwards and upwards though....this is a good forum and I've had a really good week - I feel a lot more like myself (health wise). As for running after the girls...I used a pedometer this week (just out of interest) and I rack up at least 10,000 steps every day - I really have no excuse!

• At least it's not as bad as it used to be. Few of us had a domestic phone, and making a simple phone call used to involve loading up 2 littlies into their buggy and walking half a mile to the phone box in the village.

I'm a graduate in behavioural sciences so I do know a bit about psychology, mindset, motivation etc. There has to be a change in the way we think. How did we get into this state - overweight - without even noticing it? You said it feels achievable. No earthly point in committing to something which isn't achievable.

Best wishes to you!

You may also like...