Menopause and struggling to loose weight - Weight Loss NHS

Weight Loss NHS
91,969 members48,841 posts

Menopause and struggling to loose weight

I joined a gym in November and try to do circuits and spinning once a week and Pilates twice a week. I count my calories approx 1340 a day. Since jan have lost 5k. But can't seem to loose anything else. With going through the menopause is it better to have low carb or low fat diet.

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I'm not sure that there is a preferred diet when going through the menopause. Unfortunately hormone changes mean that body fat tends to go on round the middle.

I'm the other side of the menopause and find I do better on a reduced carb diet. You need to balance your carb intake with your activity level, I think. I never eat low fat foods.

1 like

Thank you. I think low carbs is the way to go. Could you tell me how many grams of carbs you had a day?

I don't usually weigh food, but I guess it would be somewhere between 50 and 100 grms. Most people don't need to go very low, and it can make you feel a bit rubbish if you do (very low carb causes ketosis, but can be helpful in certain medical conditions). You may need more if you are very active. It's a good idea to keep some real fat in your diet if you are going low carb.

This is a useful site.

authoritynutrition.com/how-...

Hope it works for you.

I'm still going through it but don't have a major weight issue any more as I lost the extra two stone I was carrying as soon as it started. Luckily my waist is the first place I lose fat, I'm more of a pear-shape. Lowering my carbs seemed to reduce my hip measurements but my weight stayed about the same. I tend to chose lower fat options but only so I can eat more! I'm a real foody now, but REAL food - very little processed food. Oh, and I HATE organised exercise (you are so dedicated!) so I just go for a 20 minute walk 2 or 3 times a week. Good luck.

2 likes

Thank you for your reply. I am pear shape and it's the hips etc that's the problem. Could you tell me how many carbs did you have a day? I read some where 30g and another 130g

I don't usually measure stuff, I just had fruit, or bacon and eggs instead of toast for breakfast for a while, and ate less pasta for a couple of months. I've just measured out what I would have for a serving of pasta nowadays and it's about 80g (dry weight) for dinner, or about 50g for lunch. I eat huge quantities of fruit, which I know is high in carbs but I really enjoy it and I reckon the health benefits outweigh everything!

You may also like...