For years I would eat chocolate, crisps, biscuits or sweets thinking it was better to do that than go without, because that was the rhetoric I'd heard. Then I began to question this. Is it a treat if it jeopardises your health in the long term? Often, I was setting myself up for a fall. If I started a pack of sweets, I found it difficult to stop for instance. Other foods would start me snacking within hours or minutes even.

I found the answer in eating enough real food. Now my treats are whipped double cream, or just three dried apricots for example.

Last edited by

5 Replies

• It's great that you've made this change. I hope to follow in your footsteps

• I think we do often hear what we want to hear!

That said, there is often an assumption that we're all the same. I am sure snacking is a key element of success for some people but I found it wasn't helpful for me - like you, I find it better to eat sustaining meals three times a day. (If one meal runs out too soon I bring the next one forward - but my life allows me to do that). I also think that it helps knowing what you will really appreciate and building that in - maybe not as a 'treat' (for people whose overeating is mood driven that is something to move away from perhaps) better thought of as 'variety' maybe? Unfortunately, the healthier treats can be more expensive... although that does make it more occasional. My favourite is organic raspberries - and you could buy chocolate, biscuits and sweets for the price of one punnet.

• Thank you for the post, that really got me thinking. You are right, it is literally a couple of seconds in your mouth and then you pay the consequences. If you have a healthy treat you get the added bonus of feeling good about it so that has to be a better treat. Thank you :)

• Hi Concerned,

In my view, you've hit the nail on the head as to the basic problem with all this weight loss mallarkey - i.e. "old habits die hard".

That is, they die hard, until you replace them with better ones .... and the the old ones just seem to melt away into the mists of time.

And yes, there is just soooooo much re-inforcement from so many sources (family, fashion, advertising, retailers, peer groups, etc., etc.) to carry on eating the rubbish, especially the low nutrition value, "empty calories" foods. Some of that is very obvious, but some is very subtle indeed.

I remember a friend of mine many years ago saying that people should never run away FROM a bad situation, but should run TOWARDS a better situation.

And that's kind of the way I'd suggest people do weight loss. Don't demonise or run away from the bad, so much as run towards the better habits. Good, healthy, fully-nutritious food, in sensible quantities.

• I think it's horses for courses. If someone tells me i can't have something then whether i would normally eat it or not then i want it! So for me if I can have a treat or chocolate then I don't always want it. If your method works for you and is sustainable for life that's great. If I give up chocolate or bread or even broccoli then I will finish up eating tons of it later which is worse. For most people moderation in all things works best but if your method works for you then good luck to you

You may also like...