Please help

Are there any diabetics out there, I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed late last year which was a big shock to me as I'm the onluy person in my family to have it. I am in sooo much pain tonight with mostly my feet. It feels like sharp stabbong burning pains and my feet are hot when I touch them. I've seen the doctors quit often but am not feeling happy at all. The first doctor was pretty good he gave me vitamin d which helped initially. The second, third n fourth nothing jus a nod. The next time I got told I have flat feet? The next time I must lose weight which I said I have lost some and trying to lose more tjo its not easy with the pain. Take painkillers one said!!! Grrr I can't do that everyday. Sorry rant over I'm jus fed up of the pain. Also I need tips on non weightbearing excercise on my feet please

6 Replies

• Hi Nicolaaa, Sorry to hear of your diabetic problem, I am not a sufferer of diabetes but my late disabled wife was and had type 1 for many years and was insulin dependent twice daily and Metformin tabs midday,

Although wheelchair bound for 35 years (from a spine injury) her legs and feet (alongside her other medical problems) still caused her loads of pain and she was on MST (Morphine) tabs and others for years which only dulled her pains slightly.

The problem with painkillers is they can cause constipation (often severe) which can make you feel even worse.

In her case it was the forced lack of mobility that contributed to the diabetes, so when exercise is recommended it may well help if you are able to do it.

Your GP should be able to give more advice or refer you to a diabetic clinic,

This link will give you more information about diabetes, but I would assume you have surfed for information already.

I know these comments may not be very helpful to you but there are those us out there who understand your predicament.

We all hope your situation improves sooner rather than later.

• Hi Nicolaaaa :-) I'm sorry you feel so bad with your feet, my dad has diabetes T2 and also has mobility problems. He also takes metformin, i had gestational diabetes and needed insulin but thankfully it has gone now. The only advice I can give you is to go swimming, there is no weight in the water and you could do aquafit, swim lengths, go with a friend and chat and swim, chat and swim. if you do get to a gym you could go on the crosstrainer, you would be standing on it but not taking any steps, the same with the rowing machine and cycling. I like to use the big bouncy ball (can't think of its proper name lol) and do sit ups and lie on the mats and do more weights and stretches. Pilates and yoga might be a good form of exercise for you too.

As far as your diet goes, use a smaller plate for smaller portions sizes, I use a Miss Kitty plate and bowl and eat things that are already portioned. E.g. biscuits - I eat the new Weetabix bisuits which are in a back, I think there are 4 packs in a box and for soup you can get the little plastic tube of soup that is just right for the size of a cup, also things like Mug Shots are great. It stops the eating of a whole box of biscuits and overdoing it with soup, rice, pasta and noodles.

I wish you good luck and keep us informed. You have made a good start joining this group, I have been on here for 3 weeks now and so many people have wished me well. It's nice to know I'm not on my own.

• Unfortunately many mainstream health professionals believe that type 2 diabetes should be managed with the Eatwell Plate and exercise. Luckily I received training in the importance of carb awareness. Keep your carbohydrate intake between 10 and 14 portions per day (1 portion = 10g carbohydrate), ideally 3 meals x 4 carb portions.

Eat low GI carbs

Make up the balance of your meals with natural, additive-free, unprocessed protein and fat foods such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, coconut oil, palm oil (not hydrogenated), olive oil, butter, ghee, and lard.

Performing aerobic exercise you enjoy will help keep your heart and lungs healthy (2 or 3 times per week). Swimming will not put undue stress on your feet, and you may be okay with cycling; keeping to low gears and pedalling relatively fast will minimise pressure on the feet.

Some load bearing exercise is recommended for bone density, so walking for instance, provided it allows full recovery within a couple of days.

Resistance exercise can alleviate some muscle and joint pains.

• Hi unicorn I'm sorry for your loss. I feel awful for my rant now after your poor wife suffered so much pain. Thank you very much for your advice tho. I walked about a mile and a half today to my parents house, forgot my asthma pump oops. I am going to try and do this walk 3 times next week and then slowly do it more often untill it becomes part of my normal routine hopefully. Thank you green goblin and concerned too for your comments and advice. Tomorrow I will do my usual shopping trip and take lunch to my nan so I will be pretty busy anyway. My sister just moved near to a huge beautiful park so will be doing some walking at the weekend with her and my son and depending on the weather maybe take a healthy picnic. Good luck everyone xxx

• Hi Nicolaaaa I'm Type 2 as well but seem to have few of the problems you have, I'm on metformin and also on high BP tablets as well, again no one else in my family has diabetes but I am overweight by about 3 stone and I'm convinced that my diabetes will continue as long as I'm obese (along with increased risk of heart problems etc) I am in charge of my weight and I can reduce it, I'm following Paul McKenna's method.

I'm very lucky with my GP as I can always see the same doctor, also I'm referred to a diabetic nurse and a podiatrist to look after my feet, all NHS. I'm also flat footed but got some insteps from my podiatrist to help walking. I've joined a local Healthy Heart Club for exercise, relaxation etc.

Don't ever give up, you can beat this. XXC

• Hi thanks colin. I take two slow release metformin nightly. My gp surgery is not the best I have to say. But I think I have to keep going untill I'm taken seriously the thing with me is after so many times going allready I think I may aswell not bother. However then I am suffering. I am trying to be better with my diet from today to see if I notice a difference.

You may also like...