Why do YOU eat?

I wish my answer was only "because I'm hungry".

I'm afraid - though less so of late - my reasons include:

because I'm bored

because it'll finish off the pack

because it's "time to eat" (lunch-time / tea-time)

to be social - join in the meal

because it's there

to be polite - I didn't like to say no to the offer

habit

out of curiosity - (I wonder what those cakes are like?)

saw a food cue (e.g. sweets in a shop / chip shop / whatever) thought food and ate

to take a break from work or other activity - (time for a cuppa and a snack and I'll do the rest of this job a bit later)

Anyone got any others?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have lost my wife 5 years ago and have been reminded of that recently. It has taken my attention off my 12 week plan. I guess this would fall into the category of emotional eating. I am on week 4 of the 12 week plan but have not used any helpful eating habits for the last 3 weeks.

• I would like to come up with all sorts of glib answers to help but can't as I also lost my husband over 4 years ago and my sister 12 weeks ago so I know how hard it is not to be an emotional eater. I think you have to go with the flow but not be self destructive. You owe it to your wife to be as healthy as you can and live the life you would have enjoyed together.

The only thing that works for me is when I get down is that I get going, exercise, house work, gardening etc., release some endorphins which help.

• I assume you are right. It all starts with self awareness. thanks for sharing.

• All of those on the list apply to me as well! When I'm tired I eat more as well. I'm trying to be more aware of when I eat and really think about whether I'm hungry or not before I do. It has made a difference.

• I over - eat when I am stressed with my work situation or if I have to do a lot of travelling. It takes me a few days to get back into my routines again.

• All the above and....... If I eat everything now I will be able to start the diet without any tempting food around me tomorrow!

• Isn't that the worst?! I'm sure at times I'm been stuffing my face mindlessly feeling full and not being able to taste the "treat" anymore just so it's not in the house on diet day. Madness!

• I agree. It's absolutely terrible and a very twisted logic!

You may also like...