Palpitations and their side effects

Hello, I am new to this group, so please bare with me.

I am a 21 year old male, and I have recently suffered with a bad case of ITP. Now I am finally on the mend, I have started getting palpitations again.

I used to get them when I was younger quite frequently, and I have been having them on and off for about 4 years now, but I didn't think much to it.

The other day, my girlfriend was lent on my chest, when she noticed I had an irregular heart beat. I went to see the doctor, and they ordered a blood test and an ECG. For once, they were delighted that my bloods came back OK, but my ECG showed some 'abnormalities'.

I have been referred to the hospital to see a Cardiologist on 5th September, which is great, but over the past couple of days, I've been getting some other symptoms which I need some help with.

I have been having the palpitations more and more frequently, and they are stronger than before. I have been having hot spells, feeling sick and lightheaded.

Has anybody else experienced this, and has any idea what I may have?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post, it's much appreciated :)

2 Replies

• Hi sorry to hear about your problems. There are many causes for palpitations ranging from stress, excitement to organ defects or consuming certain foods or drinks not to mention drugs (either prescribed, bought over the counter or recreational). It is quite normal to have these occasionally and they cause no lasting effect but as you say you have had them frequently, you did the best thing to get them checked out. Did the GP say what the ECG abnormalities were and did they repeat the ECG?

The symptoms all together, feeling hot, nausea and dizziness along with the palpitations sound like a panic attack; were you stressed when they come on? did anything help to alleviate them?

If you have any other symptoms such as a tightening feeling in your chest or throat or strange sensation in your jaw or left arm I suggest get to A&E immediately. I would contact the cardiologist in the mean time and see if you can get that appointment sooner.

There is no definitive cause for ITP but obviously as it is a problem with the blood then it obviously may affect the heart.

Take care wish you well

• Please keep a daily record of your problems. write down all your questions to your appointment date. Read about echo cardio gram and electro cardio gram.

I am a lot older than you but when I went for my appointment, I had a print out of a heart to ask all my questions, the cardiologist did take time to explain all my questions. Electro cardio gram has graph, in the graph abnormalities are shown, again a print out can help to get abetter understanding. Take it easy on your daily activities till the appointment. Some problems are genetic, "Do you know if any member of your family in both side had any problems?"

If you get the problem before your appointment, dial 999 and go to A&E.

You may also like...