General Health tests

I understand that stroke and heart disease are the most prevalent causes of death as one ages and the NHS Health Check can help with identifying and reducing causes.  But being 65 I have had a number of similar aged friends die of cancer and other causes recently.  Are there other tests we should have at our age which might help us live longer? 

5 Replies

• Very good question.

For healthy life, you need regular exercise, food and drinks intake control.

Our body is capable of telling us when there is a problem, we need to act quickly and check with a GP to identify what is going on.

Have you checked the three blood tests, blood pressure, blood glucose and blood cholesterol.  Are you maintaining your weight?

You need to have a good discussion with your GP and ask for referral for testing on any specific issue you may have. Write a list before going to your GP and go through the list.

• Many thanks for the reply.  I have had all of the tests you mention and am maintaining weight, I eat and drink reasonably healthily but do not exercise enough mainly because I work too hard.  My doctor says I am very healthy and 'in good condition' for a 65 year old. I live part of the time overseas in the sun therefore am concerned about skin cancer and have had some Basal Cell Carcinomas taken out.  I keep a watch on my skin and note any changes.

I am not unduly worried about Prostate problems but, as all older men there are changes in that region, again nothing to worry about when I visited my doctor about 2 years ago, the PSA was normal.

I am not unduly worried about my health however ne of my best friends passed away a few days ago from Pancreatic cancer after being diagnosed only 8 months ago (he said he was misdiagnosed a year earlier with backache) therefore I wonder if there is anything else that could be checked which could prolong life? 

• Hi should make an appointment to see your g.p and ask him this as he will be qualified to tell you what other test,s you can have.

• Hi Norman: I discussed the topic about the health in general in another place, but unfortunately it went to the discussion of its definition. Indeed, science develops general health metrics assessing health gain and health impairment that are independent on possible disease outcomes a person is genetically predisposed. The matter is how to transfer this knowledge to healthcare professionals. I know Horizon2020 has issued grants for this transfer, but am not sure how effectively.

• Another way to look at screening health tests is with the following statistics published by the Office of National Statistics. The latest available data on preventable deaths (avoidable through good quality health care OR public health interventions) reveals that 77% of deaths are unavoidable. So all the focus on preventation, healthy living, screening, checks and worries PLUS the actions required to improve health result in a slight reduction of actual deaths. Of course being healthy and looking after yourself may be important but so is living a happy life with less stress and worry. Life is sometimes a gamble and the outcome is always the same ... the odds will level out as we age.

There is a medical industrial complex working to push medicine and drugs to as many people as possible. Health screening often causes more harm than good for some patients. This is acknowledged in research papers but never mentioned by NHS or simply promote their own viewpoint - which is not the same as the patients.

You may also like...