New and was told to share

I'm new here and thought I'd share and see if anyone has a year kind of advice. I'm 30 and 5 year ago I started having issues where my heart would start racing for no reason. I didn't know what was going on and the first few times it didn't last that long and didn't concern me.

In 2012 though this happend and went on for over an hour at which point I drove myself to hospital. They said I was having an SVT which I'd never heard of before.

After this they also found out I had a hole in my heart which has been there since birth and I had a leaking aortic valve. I was having a bad week.

I got taken back in in April 2013 with my heart racing at nearly 200bpm

I was discharged same day. Same thing happened in 2015 in March. I refused to go to hospital cause I had an idea what caused it. Eating a Scorpion Chillie for a bet didn't help probably.

Then 2 weeks ago I nearly blacked out in work and when I got rushed to hospital my heart was racing at 220bpm. They said it was an SVT again and treated it with adenosine which calmed it down.

They kept me in and then at 3.30am the morning after apparently my heart went into VT when I was sleeping. I woke up with a lot of panic going on around me.

I'm now on tablets to stop this happening again but that last experience in hospital has freaked me out. I'm going in for an ecg in 2 weeks and have a follow up appointment in April.

Is there anything I should be doing or can do to prevent any future problem.

3 Replies

• wish you good luck... I cant help I am afraid.. but I guess a good idea ( if you are at hostpital) is to discuss it WITH the doctors/ consultants who are seeing you? they should be the experts to trust, surely? good luck in any event...

ps NOT eating ' scorpion chillis' might be a good start?

• Hi Marcus19852

I am sorry to hear of your scary heart beat episodes.

I am a lot older than you but have had episodes of tachycardia for >25 years, triggered by all sorts of different things - a large meal, red wine, waking in the middle of the night (by hypoglycaemia) with it.

Episodes have been very scary and often I ended up in hospital.

On holiday in Tenerife, I kept getting episodes in the middle of the night, so we did an hour of Tai Chi, (standing) to relax, around the pool, in the glorious sunshine. Afterwards, feeling very relaxed we took my heartbeat - it was racing! the local doctor told me to go immediately to the hospital. I spent the next 5 days in hospital there and was diagnosed with SVT.

Back in the UK Docs said there was nothing wrong - just anxiety!!!

I found out my Red Cell Magnesium was very low; (this is NOT tested on the NHS.; they only test magnesium in the plasma not in cells, where it's needed.)

I was also told my heart valves were leaking and I had a murmur.

Leaky heart valves are also connected to low magnesium. I take lots like 'Magnesium Calm' magnesium malate, chloride, glycerinate, taurate (Not mag oxide which is poorly absorbed).

Magnesium is needed to relax every muscle, including heart muscle.

Hole in the heart? - Google 'Patent Foramen Ovule'.

You will see 1 in 4 adults have a hole in the heart, but it doesn't usually matter as Blood Pressure keeps a flap over the hole closed.

All babies, in the womb have one, because their blood, is shunted from one side to the other, and doesn't need to go off to the lungs and back in. After birth the flap usually closes, and seals, but not always.

I find it better NOT to sleep or lay down, on my Left side, as that makes my heart beat more wobbly.

I try not to get hungry as hypoglycaemia can trigger the Adrenal glands to come to the rescue, and pump out adrenaline - which will cause the heart beat to race. I eat just before I go to bed, to avoid the night episode.

Some times splashing freezing cold water on the face can stop an attack- this used to work for me - but no longer does. Some people claim a drop of cayenne in warm water will stop it.

There are probably many causes and I hope doctors quickly find out the cause of your tachycardia, cause I know it is very frightening and limiting. But in the meantime , make sure that low magnesium is not contributing to it.

After 25 years I'm still trying to get to the cause of it…

Best wishes

• You may need to look at a Holter Monitor?

A Holter monitor is a continuous tape recording of a patient's EKG for 24 hours. Since it can be worn during the patient's regular daily activities, it helps the physician correlate symptoms of dizziness, palpitations (a sensation of fast or irregular heart rhythm) or black outs.

You may also like...