Diabetes and overseas student

Hi everyone, I am a 28-year old Malaysian. I have an intention to pursue my postgraduate study in UK for a year. As I know, we need to pay 150 GBP a year for NHS. However, I have asthma and diabetes and I would like to know if the service cover the bills and prescribed medicine for my regular visits to doctors.

FYI, I am currently prescribed with Metformin 750 mg (twice a day). I need an answer as I have to apply for the scholarship. Thank you in advance.

5 Replies

• I think the lack of response must in general be, and certainly in my case, because we simply do not know.

What I can say is that if you reduce your intake of grains, cereals, fruit, tubers, root vegetables or legumes to less than a cup per meal, eating some natural fat instead, it will help normalise your blood glucose and you will be able to discuss changing/stopping your medication with your doctor.

• You should Google NHS for Overseas Students or International Students and you will find guidance.

• It is best to apply for your medical cover as part of your Malaysian scholarship.

Where in UK are you planning on studying and when are you starting?

Medication may be cheaper in Malaysia, may be you can bring one year supply?

Life style change in UK is necessary. Food and drinks intake control and regular exercise is a must. If you can bring your HbA1C number or blood glucose number down with food intake control then you can cu down on your medication, you need your doctor's help as well.

• First you visit a doctor to get a prescription for your medication then you take the prescription to a chemist to give you medication, there is a NHS charge for the prescription (£ 8.20) for UK people at the moment. I am not sure how this Metformin 750 mg is offered, a monthly supply?

If you are planning on spending all the 12 months then you need enough money for both asthma and diabetes medication. You need to factor in the prescription cost.

If you have not looked at this site, please take a look.

International students cost the NHS around £430 million per year and over £700 per head. The surcharge for students will be just £150 per year, a fraction of their true cost to the NHS.20 Mar 2015

• you need to look at the response!

You may also like...