Failed cardioversion

I had a cardioversion last Wednesday. This is my first - diagnosed with AF about three months ago. I'm 57 and have no related heart problems or any damaged/heart disease

I could not believe the difference the cardioversion made. No longer out of breath walking upstairs; not tired; generally feeling brilliant

However, on day four my heart has flipped back to AF last night 😓

How soon following a cardioversion can you go for another one?

Has anyone else experienced a flip back? Is it an indication that this procedure might not work for me?

Any answers welcome as I'm feeling a bit low right now

1 Reply

• Hello,

You may get a better response from Heart UK Cholesterol charity, give a post there.

What is cardioversion?

If your heart has an irregular (uneven) beat or is beating too fast, cardioversion is a way to restore a regular rhythm. Abnormal heart rhythms are called arrhythmias.

There are two kinds of cardioversion. Your doctor may give you one or more medicines to bring back your regular heartbeat. This is called pharmacologic (chemical) cardioversion. Doctors also restore regular rhythms by sending an electrical shock to the heart. This is called electrical cardioversion.

Quick facts

•Arrhythmias may prevent blood from circulating properly to your heart and brain.

•Most often, doctors use cardioversion to treat a fast, irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation.

•If you have electrical cardioversion, you’ll get medicine to put you to sleep so you don’t feel the shock.

Why do people have cardioversion?

People have non-emergency or elective cardioversion to treat arrhythmias. The electrical signals that control your heartbeat start in the upper right chamber of your heart (atrium). In atrial fibrillation, very fast, irregular electrical signals move through both of the upper chambers of your heart. This can make your heartbeat fast and irregular. Some people who have atrial fibrillation don’t notice any changes in the way they feel. But others feel: •A very fast heartbeat

•Short of breath

•Very tired

Cardioversion also treats other kinds of abnormal heartbeats, including atrial flutter, atrial tachycardia and ventricular tachycardia.

Cardioversion or defibrillation is also used in emergency situations for people who suffer sudden life threatening arrhythmias.