Don't be an ostrich!

Did you know that men are less likely to go to the doctor than women? This is despite the fact that men are more at risk of dying earlier from heart disease and related conditions.

So it's especially important that men take up their invitation to an NHS Health Check, which can spot early signs of these conditions, such high blood pressure or cholesterol levels, and help prevent them developing further.

Don't bury your head in the sand! Find out more about the gender health divide in the NHS Health Check guide:

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by

8 Replies

• Yes I was aware of this, and I have to admit that I am just as guilty as any other man of behaving in this way! Half the time I think I should not be bothering my GP and using vital resources for unimportant things, and the other half, I am a man, and I am lazy, and cannot be bothered to ring them! It is as simple as that!

Thank you for highlighting this, as it is a genuine flaw in the psychology of the male genome.

• I am quite aware that more women go to see their GP than men. I do not think it is because men are trying to be more 'macho!' or 'stronger'. I think it is quite simple? I am a man and I am lazier than the average woman so I do not ring my surgery for an appointment!

Sorry men. Our secret is out!

• Hi Ken

Thanks for your thoughts. I think there are many reasons why men are less likely to go to the doctor than women. Women have more reason to see their doctor from a younger age; for smear tests, to talk about the contraceptive pill or about pregnancy-related issues for example. And traditionally women are seen as the main carers so may be more likely to be the ones taking their children to the doctor. Over time they build up rapport (and medical records) with the doctor so view something like the NHS Health Check as just another routine appointment.

Whereas men could go for a much longer period of time without even registering with their local GP - many middle-aged men are still registered with GPs near their family homes rather than where they actually live.

But the good news is that, as Dr Dawn Harper says in the video 'Why have an NHS Health Check?', once they do go for their NHS Health Check, men are particularly good at knuckling down to making the necessary changes they need to improve their health.

• Thank you admin, you are totally correct in your statements. Most of my male friends have never seen a GP for years, yet their wives have had babies, gone for smear tests etc, so you are spot on!

• Hi You have just discussed my case with my husband :) (we are both in our 40's)

It took me years to get him to register with a GP and then years to get him to go see the GP.

I would make appointments for him and make him go but we have the same doctor and I naturally discuss all my health concerns him so the doc already has a snippet of what's going on before my husband turns up.

Due to my husbands 'genuine fear' of doctors I had to intervene!

It's that bad, that I had to ask our GP whether he needed or wanted to see him because my husband lied about it! I always explain to him that I don't particularly enjoy it myself but have no choice given the health problems and issues over the years I've been dealing with and still am.

It's taken 11years to get to this point where he kinda manages his own health! Only recently did he realise that there were things he needed to deal with :) The health check certainly helped with that :)

Fortunately, he likes this doctor we see now and I don't have too many issues with him about it but I still have to give a nudge now and again.

Regarding smear tests................. many women don't like the indignity of the process and therefore actually don't go for their smear tests until they notice something is wrong so not a good analogy for me I'm afraid. They will put it off and put it off blaming the surgery for not being open when they're off work, 'ooh! can't take time from work to pop along to have it done' and also claim they don't work near their doc's surgery to get it done when there are 'well women' clinics all over the place.

So I'm afraid women can be just as bad as men!

• Hello my friend, and there I was thinking it was only us men that put off making appointments? I totally agree with you about the indignity many women can feel when seeing a male doctor for a personal issue, and I genuinely think many men feel the same way? Me personally, as long as I can have a giggle and chinwag with the doctor I am not really bothered. I am just lazy!

Take care

Ken x

• Why not have more men undertake the health checks to encourage men to attend. I know I would not attend my screening as a women if I knew it would be undertake by a man. The NHS needs to show men dignity and offer them modesty by offering choice of gender.

• I think that is an excellent suggestion! As these things do work both ways. I am married with a grown up daughter and I use to have a mother, and they all constantly complain about having to see male doctors for particular issues whereby they would much sooner see another lady!

You may also like...