COVID vaccine in pregnancy : I know there is now... - NCT


44,969 members15,230 posts

COVID vaccine in pregnancy

Jess994 profile image

I know there is now research for pregnant American women getting the COVID vaccine. I’m not sure what to do, has anyone else got any thoughts?

23 Replies

If you weren't pregnant are you on the high risk or age brackets that are currently being offered the vaccine? I don't think here they're currently routinely offering it to pregnant woman unless you fall into one of those brackets that would put you at higher risk. Also for if you work in a high risk environment like a front line worker in hospitals etc. I've got gestational diabetes and have already have my flu and whooping cough vaccine and been fine so if they will let me have the covid vaccine while pregnant I'll definitely get it because I'm sure I'd be sicker from covid than I will be from the vaccine. My fear of getting covid is more than my fear of the vaccine. Having seen some friends with long covid I can't imagine going through labour/ having newborn and toddler to look after with long term covid symptoms or worse not being around to see my children grow up.

The stats from countries that have been vaccinating pregnant woman are really positive so I think the guidance is being updated quite often so we might be offered it routinely soon like the flu and whooping cough vaccines,which I think would be great.

Jess994 profile image
Jess994 in reply to Seb9

Thank you so much for your reply. I do class as a front line worker and I’m now in my third trimester. I asked my midwife today and she said the vaccine has not been tested on pregnant women so only really recommended for pregnant women to who have high risk conditions. I’m just really unsure on what to do

Seb9 profile image
Seb9 in reply to Jess994

If you're working in a high risk environment then I think your midwife might need to have a look at the most up to date research and guidance, there's a really good leaflet on the Royal college of obstetricians and gynaecologists that's got more details. It says that it should be offered to pregnant woman the same as the rest of the population so based on age and clinical risk.This is from the 16th April so fairly recent development.

NE21 profile image
NE21 in reply to Seb9

I’m a high risk worker, got them at 10 and 16 weeks and very glad I did. I did my own reading and felt confident with my decision. I don’t fancy covid in 3rd trimester and really don’t fancy long covid! Your midwife’s research is not up to date as the rules changed this week based on research.

NE21 profile image
NE21 in reply to NE21

Also imagine being able to offer you newborn covid antibodies when they are born- if you have a poorly baby stuck in hospital who then gets covid, I feel the more research coming out the better the outcomes

Msze profile image
Msze in reply to Jess994

Your midwife is incorrect. There is a lot of research on testing on pregnant women at this point.

They just updated the guidance in the UK and are now saying it should be offered to pregnant woman when they are eligible age-wise, not just keyworkers and high risk individuals.

Also promising research from Israel is showing mums passing antibodies onto babies through the placenta xx

I feel you. Seeing my midwife next week, will be asking for advise on what toDo. My work are already pushing me to have it but it’s not even at my age group yet. I work

Within a school. My dr wants me to go into shielding

For this reason.

Sparklylife profile image
Sparklylife in reply to DanABC20

I am pretty sure that even if you decide to have the vaccine, the guidance in the UK is that you should still do a risk assessment and work from home after 28 weeks, so not sure how it would benefit work. Might be worth looking up if they are being pushy as it still is your decision.

Not saying you should or should not have the vaccine, a decision I am now struggling with myself - I will be trying to look up the actual research and facts from good sources from the US and Israel - so if anyone has already found some - would be appreciated! Have already read the RCOG guidance. And will also speak to my midwife again as initially she recommended I did not have it on the guidance that was out at the time, but not sure now.

So hard to know/decide what to do for best! And all I want to do is make sure I do what is best for my unborn child 🧐 Wishing everyone all the best with their decisions!

DanABC20 profile image
DanABC20 in reply to Sparklylife

MyEmployers are being awful. 😢

I’m 22 weeks and work in a school. So unsure what to do. I want the vaccine but also worry about risks to child later on (no evidence of due to time)although , willing to read up ect. I feel that whilst rates are low then I won’t get the vaccine, however, if rates increase I will get it as risk of covid whilst pregnant outweigh vaccine risks?

I am concerned more seems to be said about Indian variant; is it vaccine resistant? If case then it makes it harder to justify having.

I wonder if we will ever be asked to shield?

I’ve been told I can be in class after 28 weeks as risk assessment supports it. Very difficult

I also work in a school and was offered it, I waited until 12 weeks for my scan but then got the vaccine immediately. The thought of covid is way worse.

Not much research yet but no research or theory are showing any potential risks and it is not a live vaccine so I was keen to go for it.

The UK have published guidance now saying that pregnant woman will be called up within their groups so they aren't hesitating.

I had my son in December before this was being offered but I felt similarly conflicted around having it while breastfeeding. In the end I was put through to a professor via the breastfeeding network and her advice was that the vaccine itself could not pass into the milk but my antibodies would once I was producing them. She referenced that this had happened to women who had contracted Covid whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. The thing is that whilst children are generally not affected by Covid infants under one are. In Brazil (which yea has crazy high numbers) there have been over 1300 deaths of babies. This made me want to have the vaccine to provide my son as much early protection as possible.

Personally I would but entirely up to you. Research shows that the vaccine does not harm the unborn fetus.

I also feel conflicted I have had the emergency cervical cerclage and am at risk of pre term birth so Im worried the temperature etc you get as a result of the vaccine will bring about labour xx

Seb9 profile image
Seb9 in reply to Ivf2020A

It's so hard isn't it? Especially with the numbers coming down so the risk of you getting covid is getting lower. I guess for me the positive about the vaccine is that you can plan for it. If you know you could get a spike in temperature you can take paracetamol before, during etc and keep taking your temperature. Whereas if you get covid-19 you could spike a fever as the first sign you're sick and you don't know how long you could be sick for,so it's harder to control your temperature. It's a difficult choice. I have my 20 week scan on Friday and I think next week I'll speak to my midwife about getting it. I am obese and have gestational diabetes so I think for me the vaccine seems like the best option for my particular situation, but it's still quite a hard choice. Good luck with your decision and pregnancy xx

Ivf2020A profile image
Ivf2020A in reply to Seb9

Yes that is something to think about I too will have a chat with the pre term clinic ladies and see what they say xx thank you for that and good luck to you too x

Seb9 profile image
Seb9 in reply to Ivf2020A

Thank you, I just had my 20 week scan today and all was good so I've phoned my GP to see what they recommend now with the updated guide lines. 🤞 They can give me some advice to settle it for me whether to have it or wait xx

The UK guidance has now changed and pregnant women will be offered the Phizer or Moderna vaccine at the same time as others in their age group.(This I find strange as pregnant women as classed as clinically vulnerable so should surely be being offered it now, but better than not being offered at all, I guess).

From what I've seen, the data is looking very promising.

Personally I'll be accepting it, but that's mainly because I work with kids, which are still significant transmission vectors. If my work was with adults who will all have been vaccinated then I probably would have hesitated a bit but still ultimately got it to help protect LO but also me through the hospital appointments.

I had the Oxford one just before I fell pregnant, I'm not sure how long one dose gives me protection. I see its just the moderna and the pzifer that the data is on. Id like to have the protection and also for my baby too when he/she is born, it would give me a lot of peace of mind. Does anyone know would I then have to have 2 doses of another vaccine? I see the midwife in 2 weeks, I suppose I can discuss it then.

sookie_k profile image
sookie_k in reply to Liberty82

I’m in the same situation as you. I got the first dose of AZ vaccine before I got pregnant. Midwife advised me to delay second dose until I’ve had my 20 week scan. However, since new guidance came out I’m not sure if I should have the second dose of the AZ vaccine. I’m looking forward to hear about the advice you get in a few weeks.

Liberty82 profile image
Liberty82 in reply to sookie_k

Yes, I'll update once I've spoken to the midwife x

As with all vaccines it's a personal decision. I had all my vaccines whilst pregnant pre-COVID. Although not pregnant now I would certainly have the COVID vaccine if pregnant and offered it. For me the risk of COVID/long COVID out weighs any potential side effects.

As the ladies above have said there is now enough evidence to say it is safe in pregnancy.

You may also like...