Vacation issues : Hi 👋🏼 Just wondered if anyone can... - NCT

NCT
31,483 members12,083 posts

Vacation issues

Hi 👋🏼

Just wondered if anyone can advise me. My daughter wasn’t sure of vaccines (the standard ones) when my grandson was born and is now is thinking she should.

We are a little worried about the side effects and the media have made it quite scary for her to make a decision. Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

36 Replies
oldestnewest

I know lots of people have different options but I will be giving my baby all the vacation. The vacation has been give to kids for year, I had it my parents my grandparents had it etc and we all were fine so I am defiantly pro vacation.

2 likes

Hi. Thank you for you’re reply. Yes I agree I had it and all my family had it. Even she did as a child.

I guess she has to make the decision but is really worried and has read up on it a lot. The good and the bad reasons.

Make sure what she is reading is from proper medical sources. The internet is full of misinformation dressed up to look scientific. The nhs website has all the info you need and has no incentive to “sell” unnecessary or dangerous vaccinations.

5 likes

Funnily enough I have just read an article about a women in her 30s who has contracted whooping cough and tetanus because her mum refused to vaccinate her. It's made her quite angry at her mum as she was very poorly both times and it could have been avoided. She's now paying for her own vaccinations at £200 a pop! There has been a lot of scaremongering in the media but vaccinations are generally very safe. Of course, there will be people who disagree but I'm all for them. I personally wouldn't be able to forgive myself if my daughter contracted something that was preventable. Perhaps your daughter could seek advice from her GP. x

2 likes

I’m with the others, I couldn’t live with myself if my daughter caught one of these diseases. For them to vaccinate means the benefits must outweigh any negatives by a long margin or they wouldn’t offer it, I’m sure they are very safe rather than some scaremongering of which there seems to be a lot of from people who don’t want to vaccinate (although totally their choice if they choose not to). I’d also feel bad if a child who can’t be vaccinated for medical reasons became ill because we as parents who could get our child vaccinated chose not to and then spread stuff around, they really rely on herd immunity. Just my opinion and I’m sure your daughter is trying to work out what feels right for her x

3 likes

Definitely do it. Vaccination is one of the best gifts you can give your children. Most of the side effects reported in the media are incredibly rare or just plain incorrect (eg the “link” with autism has been completely disproven). Not only does vaccination keep your own child safe, it keeps everyone safe by stopping diseases spreading. Vaccination is why smallpox has been eradicated worldwide and polio had almost been eliminated. But measles is making a come back because not enough children are being vaccinated. And people have forgotten that these diseases can kill.

2 likes

I recently read that the measles in USA were spred out by a vaccinated child... same as few years ago in Disneyland! That's the reason after your baby is vaccinated GP nurse tolds you to properly wash your hands so you don't get the viruss after changing the nappy, for example.

PS: most vaccines work only for certain amount of time (5-10 years or so) also some people get immunity for life - specially after being exposed to viruses. I never met any pro-vaxxer who actually bothered to go and check himself / herself out by doing private tests to see if they are in the same basket as unvaxxed- not immune even after vaccination.

That is why it is vital we are ALL vaccinated because of herd immunity which helps protect the few that immunity for whatever reason hasn’t taken hold for. I live in CA and the Measles outbreak is terrifying for parents of very young children, it’s particularly frustrating given there is not a single major study. Apart from the one that had been disproved at the Dr disbarred that shows a link between vaccines and issues like autism.

1 like

Here’s a link to the news story about the measles outbreak at Disney which has a good explanation of why herd immunity matters. There’s no evidence that this outbreak was started by a vaccinated child and vaccinated people are actually much less likely to spread the disease if they do catch it, as well as having milder symptoms.

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wire...

2 likes

"Furthermore, vaccine recipients can carry diseases in the back of their throat and infect others while displaying no symptoms of a disease.11,12,13

"Numerous scientific studies indicate that children who receive a live virus vaccination can shed the disease and infect others for weeks or even months afterwards. Thus, parents who vaccinate their children can indeed put others at risk," explains Leslie Manookian, documentary filmmaker and activist. Manookian's award winning documentary, The Greater Good, aims to open a dialog about vaccine safety.

Both unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals are at risk from exposure to those recently vaccinated. Vaccine failure is widespread; vaccine-induced immunity is not permanent and recent outbreaks of diseases such as whooping cough, mumps and measles have occurred in fully vaccinated populations.14,15 Flu vaccine recipients become more susceptible to future infection after repeated vaccination.16, 17

"Health officials should require a two-week quarantine of all children and adults who receive vaccinations," says Sally Fallon Morell, president of the Weston A. Price Foundation. "This is the minimum amount of time required to prevent transmission of infectious diseases to the rest of the population, including individuals who have been previously vaccinated."

Myself : i am pregnant and there's no way I would vaccinate my toddler right now - probably damaging my unborn child, just in case I catch something from him.

1 like

Lizzie-

In your article it says : "It’s a live version of the virus, just weakened... "

I am not a doctor, but to me it means that this viruss can spread if it's live injected into one's body. 20% were vaccinated who got the measels in Disneyland- some statuses unknown, some unvacinated. Who knows who starred spreading the viruss? Noone.

It's just easy to point fingers on unvaxxed.

1 like

Thank you Chris. Seem I have upset a lot of mothers. It’s a clear debate. Some want to some don’t. It is up to the mother and father of each child. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

1 like

I agree that everyone has a right to their opinion. I also agree that measles is a live vaccine. However I would return to my original point that much of the information in the media is ill informed and personally would not be taking the word of a documentary film maker over the advice of the NHS. NHS advice is to have children vaccinated, this is what keeps individuals and the whole community safest.

1 like

I totally love the idea of vaccines and ereryone to be healthy & happy!

Only hate the idea that they have so much extra stuff in them (metals, foreign DNA) and no screening who should have them and who's immune system is comprised and should not have them.

wish the vaccines could be made more safe for everyone.

I remember my son had his vaccines, I just agreed to have them as everyone else had their kids vaccinated. Then read the leaflet- it says not administrate to egg allergic people. How can I know if my 2 months old is allergic to eggs if he started eating solids only at age 6m? No way of knowing it... unless kid receives his vaccines after he tried eggs and no reaction was detected.

Again - I am pro safe vaccines, just not sure why they still struggle to invent them...

Also, the metals issue, mercury is higher in fish so that's not a cause for concern.

I don't give fish with a mercury to my 2 month old who's digestive system is not ready to digest it. These are the things that worry me

As vaccines are given in the muscle - it's even more difficult to the little body to get them out if the system...

Vaccines are great invention, only wish they were more friendly, gentle.

1 like

I personally do not eat any fish and I am a grown woman so I don't blame you there haha. As a mother who had her vaccines whilst pregnant and vaccinated her child; I just looked at risk and benefit and decided what was right for me. As I have an immunocompromised mam and other family members who rely on heard immunity; I decided it would be better for all of us too.

I understand the gentle aspect as it upsets me when my son cries from the needle.

1 like

It is not a live virus. This is why it is called inactive... Also, herd immunity matters. Do you know that even though someone is vaccinated if they have an autoimmune disease or are imunocompromised; they can still contract the disease from someone who is unvaccinated? This is how the disease spreads; it preys on the weakest immune systems to survive. Decades ago, the sufferers of these horrible illnesses and diseases would have been grateful for these life changing vaccines. I know someone who is still struggling with the side effects of polio. They think this is utterly selfish for people to take for granted and they hope you never have to suffer the same fate.

As I recently read - in USA it's still a live virus.

Live virus as in still around or injected?

Injected.

Measels, of couse as we know, are spending around USA, UK- so, pretty much a live virus going around too.

You are correct there it is spreading but it's a mix of issues such as immigration (illegal) bringing diseases over that have not had for years, weakened immune systems etc.

In the UK, you are correct 'the NHS Live vaccines (also called attenuated or weakened vaccines) contain viruses or bacteria that have been weakened, but not destroyed, in a laboratory.

The viruses within live vaccines cannot cause disease in healthy people, but can still produce a strong immune response.'

The immunocompromised cant have them not because they would contract them. It would be too hard for their bodies to rapidly produce the antibodies x

1 like

How ever it is a mixture of killed vaccines too (also known as inactivated or dead vaccines) contain viruses or bacteria that have been destroyed with chemicals or heat.

This process destroys the viruses' ability to grow in the body and cause illness, but keeps it intact enough so that when it's given in a vaccine, a person's immune system can still recognise it and make a protective antibody response.

Killed vaccines generally produce a weaker immune response, so it often takes several doses or a booster to maintain your immunity.

Examples of killed vaccines are the whooping cough vaccine and polio vaccine.

1 like

Actually, just as checked NHS - in UK it's live vaccine too

Both Priorix, or M-M-RVAXPRO

1 like

Yes it is partially live but weakened and mixed with a killed virus, that's the source I used further up.

1 like

Thiomersal (Mecury) is no longer used in any of the vaccines routinely given to babies and young children in the NHS childhood immunisation programme.

It's also no longer used in any of the vaccines routinely given to adults in the UK.

1 like

Thank you ladies. I really appreciate all your replies. I am going to have a chat with her.

1 like

There was an article in the bbc today about the issue of vaccinations and how a lot of people mistrust them. As a result, previously almost elimnated diseases are making a come back such a measles and mumps, both extremely dangerous but easily preventable.

There is a lot of literature circulating from anti-vaxers that the PROFESSIONALS are saying is misleading and unhelpful. Definitely get your daughter to take her little one to get the jabs. In our society there is no reason for any child to be getting these diseases when our wonderful NHS offers the immunisations for free!

2 likes

We will have another chat but the last say will have to be my daughters. I can only advise.

I did think as so many people don’t want the vaccine that the media is playing up to a lot of scaremongering about why we should have them. I haven’t heard of any recent infants being infected with measles or mumps in my area and I work for the NHS. Not saying there isn’t any as I am sure that there is! I will also talk to a professor I work with.

We will chat again. My grandson is 3 now and I’m very good health.

My 90 year old grandad hasn't had any leg muscle since he was 2 thanks to Polio. My nan lost her mum, unborn baby brother (we know he was a boy because the doctor tried to save him by cutting him from his dying mothers body) and aunt to Tuberculosis. My great aunt was born "death and dumb" because her mother caught Rubella while pregnant. A male friend in his 30's is infertile because he caught mumps as a child.

Vaccines do not cause Autism! The man who first popularised this idea, Adam Wakefield has been debunked countless times and had his licence to practice medicine revoked. The UK's General Medical Council found him guilty of abusing vulnerable young patients by giving them unnecessary and invasive medical procedures without ethical approval. He is a despicable and thoroughly dishonest man. Also I am Autistic, my mum didn't get me vaccinated and I'm still Autistic; I did later get myself vaccinated when I was 18, nothing changed.

If you actually look into reports of vaccine injury the vast majority are thoroughly unsubstantiated claims. There has been mountains of research into the safety of vaccines. Please do not help bring back the horrible diseases that blighted our ancestors.

2 likes

Have a read of this and ask her to have a read ... this is from NHS and WHO which are both reliable info.

nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati...

euro.who.int/__data/assets/...

Ask any doctor if they vaccinate they're own kids? I can tell you the answer is yes everytime (I know a lot of doctors) unless it's for a specific reason that they can not receive it. That's because vaccines are very safe.

2 likes

I second this! My friend's grandfather was a senior practitioner GP and he always vaccinated his children and grandchildren with the most up to date vaccines.

2 likes

I can't believe there are still people in this country who don't vaccinate their children! There is no evidence that they are dangerous, and plenty that they are safe. I haven't seen anything negative reported in the media for years, apart from how dangerous unvaccinated people are.

3 likes

Decades ago, the sufferers of these horrible illnesses and diseases would have been grateful for these life changing vaccines. I know someone who is still struggling with the side effects of polio. They think this is utterly selfish for people to take for granted and they hope you never have to suffer the same fate. Also, the autism study was discredited.

2 likes

My son has had all the vaccinations done at the Gp and has had pain on the day of injections but quickly recovered them as expected. They are helpful despite the hype out there. It's important to get your child vaccinated against all the diseases and you not vaccinating him or her could be putting him at more risk of exposure than anything and means more high risk if u decide to travel. I am a medical professional as well and it's my first child too

2 likes

You may also like...