NCT
29,626 members11,747 posts

Self conscious

I’m booked in for a c section and have heard that some hospitals say not too wear make up.

No one see’s me without make up on except my OH, it’s like a comfort thing. I can go without foundation if I have too, but mascara is a must.

I know people will say, that will be the last thing on your mind and shouldn’t worry how you look. But I do, I’ve always been that way and it won’t ever change.

34 Replies
oldestnewest

Could you get the LvL treatment done before your section? Or just go for a lash tint?

And maybe use a CC/BB cream, that way you’ll still feel like you have a little on?

I’m totally with you!! Altho, I’m all about that foundation, need to cover all the bad bits 😂

3 likes

I have had a lash lift and going too have them tinted aswell, but where I’m so fair and pale, don’t really do anything, hence needing mascara. I’m sure it’s just mainly foundation as they can’t see your true colour, so I’m hoping the mascara will be fine x

I’m surprised you didn’t get a great result considering you are fair and pale... go for the mascara!! I would 😉

I think the issue with make up is the team need to be able to monitor you & see your colour ie lips going blue etc so I reckon mascara will be fine

1 like

I don't mind going without makeup running errands and stuff but must admit I'm thinking - must remember to get my lashes done before the birth so look a bit better in the first photos!! Sounds so shallow but who doesn't want to look nice at such a big moment!?!?

1 like

Woh! Some people just use forums to release their inner issues onto other people. Totally ignore!! I had a c section and it was very peaceful. I wanted a natural birth and they did their best to make me feel relaxed and happy. The anaesthetist was the most lovely lady and I didn't feel a thing, even though I'm scared of needles. You will have a great experience

3 likes

Ignore that comment. Totally unnecessary plus I’ve always had time to put make up on which is only eyeliner and mascara plus dry and straighten my hair every day. Depends what sort of baby you have. Mine was perfectly happy just to sit under her play mat and stare and nowadays I get up when hubby is up and get ready then xx

2 likes

I know, just asking a simple question and the comments I get. Couldn’t believe it, I will always find time for myself, even if it takes longer. You still have to make time for yourself x

3 likes

Exactly it’s all about just adjusting your routine and find what works for you. I didn’t put make up on in hospital but that’s because I just didn’t feel like it but as soon I was home it was back on and has been ever since. Baby also sleeps a lot in the early days so there is plenty of time. I must of had a seriously chilled baby because I was and still am never stressed about getting everything done xx

2 likes

You are a very negative person, I only simply asked if you could wear mascara.

That's a very unhealthy view of pregnancy. Giving birth, the mother's wants and needs are IMPORTANT, having an attitude she doesn't matter its all about if the baby survives is the view of male doctors that are traumatising women in hospitals.

If she needs an emergency C section, that's a complete different procedure to a planned C section.

Annh17, ignore this idiot. You wear your make up and make yourself feel as comfortable and good as possible, its YOUR body and YOUR baby, don't listen to these type of idiots , they obviously had horrible births and want everyone else to suffer!!!

2 likes

Thank you, I can’t believe just asking a little question and you get people writing comments like that x

Plus you can wear nail varnish. I had it on my toes and the surgeons assistant and a midwife asked me what colour it was as they both liked it! They just say have either toes or nails not coloured - leave one natural. And no false nails.

1 like

i support this response whole heartedly! there was nothing derogatorive in there, just honest truths, and if you wanted the responses to pander to your ego then maybe you should have written that in the actual post - the only idiots on these responses are the ones who tell you to ignore this post, you should take ALL of them into account, not just the ones you deem acceptable. Also if this is the first time you've been made aware of the C-Section procedure then i highly recommend you do your own research, not to scare yourself but to be fully informed on the ins and outs!

that being said, i hope you have a safe delivery. enjoy your little bundle of joy!

1 like

Anyway I thought the amount of people today, who have eyelash extensions, are they going to get them to take them off, I don’t think so. I’m just unfortunate and can’t have them as they make my own eyelashes fall out

1 like

Don’t worry, my hospital says on paper no make up but the midwife said it was fine to wear a bit.

just don’t go in bright orange with false eye lashes :)

I wore foundation and concealer x

1 like

That made me laugh, bright orange lol x

Lol they might ask you to take it off then haha. Yeah the midwife said at my section class it’s fine to have a bit on. I don’t go anywhere without foundation so I know how you feel. I didn’t put mascara on til after because I was worried another crying and panda eyes lol but if you have a good waterproof one and don’t put too much on you’ll be fine :)

I'm not having a go at you, but Annh17 asked for advice about wearing make up for a c section, not if wearing make up is wrong. She can look into that herself in the future, at the moment she asked a simple question, and deserves a simple answer , not a lecture.

4 likes

Thank you xx

1 like

Ann I’m with you! I wear make up every day and I’ve of the things freaking me out is being in hospital without it on as I just don’t feel like myself without it! People constantly judge me for it but I wouldn’t judge someone for not wearing make up (even if my opinion would be they’d look so much better with it ha!) The comment above was way too harsh as everyone thinks about things differently and what’s the point in scaremongering? xx

2 likes

I’m glad I’m not the only 1, make up makes me feel better, I hate it when I haven’t got any on, I feel horrible and I look horrible. I don’t want my first picture with our baby and I’m feeling rough. It’s not like I cake my face in it, but it’s enough too make me feel comfortable xx

2 likes

Exactly I am the same! I definitely won’t be having any pics of me until I have mine on!! xx

2 likes

And as for people saying when baby is here, you won’t have time for make up. It takes 5 minutes, I would rather not wash, dry, straightener my hair which takes 30 minutes. X

2 likes

Exactly if you don’t have 5 mins then there’s something wrong!! It doesn’t take long when you perfect it every day! xx

2 likes

My baby is 3 weeks old and I’ve not gone a day without make up. It takes me 5 mins to do my whole face! X

3 likes

So don’t worry you can wear it in hospital x

2 likes

Exactly it takes no time!! Hope everything with your baby is going well 😊 xx

1 like

Great thanks :) I can even breastfeed her while putting it on if needed 😂 x

3 likes

Ha perfect multi tasking- I like it!! Hopefully I will be the same in 12 weeks 😊 xx

Get practicing with a little handmirror only - i do mine on the go all the time as I hate wasting empty time on commutes. I find it helps having products in stick format that you can open/ close with one hand apply and then rub in with fingers. One hand job! Concealer, highlighter, cheek stain, lip stick even eye shadow if you like it and eye brow pencil - also only need a tiny case. I also found this lovely eye cream/hydration balm in stick form which refreshes your eyes instantly and makes the whole area looks so fresh - from Kate Somerville “Goat Milk” @ SpaceNK. I keep it in my make up purse and reapply whenever needed...

Plus hospital will have lots of air conditioning which makes your skin drier so a dewy look will be better anyway (more flattering in case any wrinkles should pop up and means no need for powder and brushes)!

Wishing you a happy arrival 🍀❤️

1 like

I haven’t had a c section but have had 4 surgeries which I had general anaesthetic for. I got my eyelashes & eyebrows tinted & no one noticed! I couldn’t wear nail varnish or make up. I did have a shower before each surgery because it made me feel more confident. If you are not having a general anaesthetic the rules might vary; best to ask the hospital. I’m sorry you got some unkind comments. Anyway wishing you the best with your c section & for baby’s safe arrival. ❤️ xoxo

Ooh this got a bit heated didn’t it?!

I’d imagine a bit of mascara is probably ok tbh but they will do pre-op checks so worst case scenario is that they’ll make you take it off before you go to theatre. They might actually make you shower before as well.

There are some safety implications eg no nail varnish as they will likely use a sats monitor on your finger (I’m sure you’ve said before you work in care so prob know what that is) and also if you need any oxygen, they won’t want you wearing any oils/creams etc that could be flammable when in contact with oxygen.

And when baby arrives yes, your priorities will change but if this doesn’t include your desire to wear make-up that’s ok. You might just have to sacrifice some other stuff and find ways of working it into yours and baby’s routine. Good luck, can’t be long now? xx

1 like

I feel naked without makeup I don’t leave the house without it on but if I had to not wear it for a surgery then I guess I’d go bare face but bring it with me for after.

1 like

You may also like...