NCT
29,042 members11,589 posts

C section

Just an update, saw the consultant and have been told either induction or c section. With c section being safest for baby.

I’m absolutely gutted and upset, the 1 thing I didn’t want too have.

Can I hear your c section stories please???

47 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi my love... why has the doctor said c-section or induction? Xz

Baby’s belly has been measuring large all throughout, its way of the graph, so baby’s shoulders got a high risk of getting stuck and me tearing badly. x

Ahh I see. Well it’s best for you and baby to have a c-section. Think of it like this...... thousands of women have c-sections and they seem to be ok and if it’s safer for you and baba then so be it. In fact some women even request it... good luck not long to see your lil bundle of joy xxx

That’s what I need too keep telling myself, it’s best for me and baby’s and loads of people choose to have a c section. And at least it’s a quick procedure, no long hours/days waiting for out little baby xx

I had an emergency c section so yours will be much more planned and calmer. I found it absolutely fine. I’ve always dreaded the thought of a c section but try not to read too many horror stories. Yes it’s painful after but with rest and medication it’s manageable. On the 3rd day I was home and doing all the washing, tidying etc and went for a walk into town the next day. My pain completely went after two weeks. I probably shouldn’t done as much as I did but that’s just me as a person xx

1 like

How long was you in hospital for after? That’s what I dread, not being able to do anything, we have amazing family who will help out, but I worry I won’t be able to pick up my baby x

What pain relief did they give you for the c section? x

I had a spinal as it was emergency so wasn’t time for an epidural x

Oh no, so I would probably have an epidural then. How long was you in hospital for? xx

I think I would of been out the next day but they thought baby had sepsis so she was born wed lunchtime and I went home Friday evening x

1 like

Oh wow that’s good. Is it still the same as a natural birth, baby and have been toilet and both eaten, before can go home? x

I’m not sure about that. They did check I had been to the loo though as I had a catheter fitted so needed to check everything was working. We did bottle feeding so all that was fine anyway xx

Does everyone have to have a catheter? Sorry for all the questions, but I never thought a c section would of been an option. Well I am thinking of bottle feeding now, as I don’t want the stress of breastfeeding on top of worrying about everything else x

I don’t know actually. I had it because I had started off doing a normal labour and I couldn’t go for a wee after drinking loads but actually I was surprised that I didn’t feel it go in or out so it was all fine. I’m the biggest wuss and always dreaded c-section, catheters and drips and I had them all! I was quite proud of myself xx

See I’m a healthcare assistant and can’t stand watching a catheter going in and out, sorry for this, did you have it by your pubic bone or down below? Yea well done you, I would be proud of myself x

Ooh I don’t think I could stand watching that either but to be honest I faint at the sight of blood 😂. I had it down below. I didn’t even know it could go in any other way x

Ahhh sorry not tbe news you wanted at least it will be a planned one and not have to have one in an emergency after being induced not had one myself but at least you will can preapre ahead house etc for when you come home have they given you a date? Xxx

1 like

Just waiting for a phone call with a date, will be 39 weeks though. If I go into labour before, I take it, it will then be an emergency c section? xx

I went into labour the day before the section and they waited until the planned time. If I had been a few days away from the section then yes, think emergency section

I also had an emergency c-section after being induced and that not working. I would definitely opt for a planned c section. I think everyone has a catheter as you’d have no bladder control when they numb you, didn’t feel it go in or come out. In my ignorance I thought I had an epidural but after reading Hydromermaids maybe I didn’t. It didn’t take me that long to get up maybe 3/4 hrs. I didn’t really need to get up as pretty much just doing skin to skin for the whole time. I was told I’d go home the next day but developed a bit of an infection so had to stay in.

Good luck! X

I was gutted when I was told that I needed a c section. I worked myself up about it but in the end it was right at the time for my baby.

The procedure was very straight forward. However, I actually went into labour the day before the section was planned (on her due date!)

So it was slightly tricky to work the injection and procedure around my contractions. I had contractions even when she was in my arms!

I still get upset about having a section now especially when my baby only weighed 8lb 8oz and they predicted 11lb at least (the reason why they put me in for a section)

Either way, baby will be safe and in your arms x any other c section questions please ask x

1 like

Our baby’s tummy is measuring large and a big baby, which is why got too have c section, but they did say, these graphs are never accurate and you could end up having a smaller baby. But I suppose at the time you gotta do the right thing and I wouldn’t want to cause distress for our little baby. So as you went into labour, was it then an emergency section? x

I was scared to have a c section but it wasn't as bad as I was imagining. The first day after the op it was really bad for me. I vomited a few times and couldn't stand up the first time when nurses asked cos I was dizzy but I guess I didn't take very well the anaesthetic. The next day i was totally fine. You will be able to lift up your baby it might hurt but its all manageable don't worry about it cos if you can't nurses will help you. They will pass him/her to you. And every experience is different. Just be open minded and Just because it is a c section doesn't mean it's easier I felt tired for two days thinking i had a normal birth and not the op. :)

Good luck!

Hiya, ah I know the feeling, I really wanted a natural birth but ended up with a section.

For me my baby was breech (tried to tell my midwives but they didn't listen) they let me ho to 41 weeks and it's only when I went in for the induction the the doctor said we can't induce you as baby is breech and because I was 41 weeks the baby was bigger so more risky. I was given the option right there and then of a ecv (he said that would only have 20% chance of success and could put the baby in distress which would lead to emergency section) or a section that day. For the safety of my baby I chose the section. I honestly didn't feel a thing, didn't feel drugged up or anything and was 100% 'with it' when the surgeon lifted my beautiful baby over the cover at 3.24. In the recovery room I was able to breastfeed my baby whilst I started to get feeling/movement back. That night up until 8pm I had lots of my family visit and I felt fine. The day after there was slight pain as I got out of the bed to take first steps but I managed a shower and went home my the tea time! I only used paracetamol for the pain with codeine once or twice if it felt particularly bad (and I think I'm a bit of a wimp with pain). I was worried about the recovery with a section but was determined to not let it spoil my time with my new baby! The day after I went on a short walk around he block with the pram. Sometimes (not in all circumstances) I feel like the longer you stay in bed etc the worse it feels.

All in all my c section experience ended up being very positive, I'm under consultant care next time and will likely have to have another section, but that really doesn't bother me now.

I hope it all goes well, feel free to ask me anything :-)

1 like

I was induced due to baby measuring large at 38 weeks. I had the propess for 24 hours which I had to stay in hospital for. They then broke my waters which there was a lot of water so Every time baby moved or I moved throughout labour there was another gush of water All through labour! I was on the hormone drip and got to 10cm dilated after 5 hours then they said to start pushing but my contractions completely stopped despite maximum drip. They took me to theatre for trial of forceps but baby wasn't lying in the correct position so they did an emergency c section. The one thing I didn't like was I didn't get to hold him for about one hour. I was terrified of having a c section but I honestly didn't have any issues. I was home the same day and carrying baby and heavy things days later. I was managing on paracetamol and ibuprofen and only suffered with bladder spasms following 3 catheters because I couldn't wee in labour and have a sensitive bladder! I was driving 3 weeks after as my GP signed me off. In all honesty ide rather have a c section if I'm measuring big again than suffer a bad tear xx

Hi a planned section is much more organised and you can prepare yourself. I’m not going to give you my details but this time round I will opt for planned if that’s my only option. You can still breastfeed so don’t rule it out as you will be awake etc and be able to see baby straight away. I’m not sure how long they keep u maybe 24hours just to make sure you are both good.

Good luck. Ps do you know what you are having

Thank you. No we don’t know what we are having. x

Hey hun,

I had an emergency y c section, I would recommend having a c section as it’s safer for you and baby especially if there’s risks anyways.

My experience was I have a retroverted womb and partial bicornuate uterus so I was told go ahead for normal as I still should have been able pass baby through.

However I then find out after having baby that I shouldn’t have ever gone natural it should have been a planned c section.

I couldn’t push baby through even though I tried as it was so cramped I’m the womb that baby ended up with cord around neck and legs and as I was pushing her heart was dropping they tried putting clips and everything on head but didn’t work...i did also have my waters broke for me and I weren’t contracting enough for them to break as mine were long delayed contractions causing me agony! (I had to wait 4 hours just for my waters to be broke)

I then was rushed with an epidural (literally thrown in my back with a needle) then all I can remember is throwing up over the medical staff as I’m Allergic to anaesthetic 🙈 then I woke up in recovery to my amazing daughter and was told what she weighed etc... and she was healthy which was all that mattered to me!

I’ll be honest, my experience with the c section was hard-she’s my first so I’m adapting too! She’s now 13th months nearly 14... and I feel normal again, they do say it takes 6-12 months to recover though. But I would definitely choose to have a planned c section next time due to all the hassle I went through! And it’s safer for baby!

Don’t do heavy exercise! I kept delaying my recovery by doing housework, gardening and everything that needed doing as partner worked full time and I felt like I was the one who needed do all these whilst looking after baby... I had to inject myself in my stomach with injections for 10 days in total the first two were done by nurses, then I was on codeine and paracetamol as I couldn’t take ibuprofen due to being asthmatic.

They highly recommend that you stay in hospital for 48 hours so they can monitor you.

I went in 23rd and was out 25th dec (yep we have a Christmas pudding haha)

Wish you all the best hun! Xx

I had a planned c section as little girl was breech. It was fine! Knew the date we were coming in could prepare everything had it at 3pm and was home by 6pm the next day. Had a spinal, catheter etc but honestly a planned c section it isn’t as scary as it seems xx

I had a c section and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd worried about. Was out of hospital the day after and I could do things like picking up the baby, feeding him, walking about etc fine, wouldn't have run around or anything but wouldn't have done that a few days after any birth. As mine wasn't planned I didn't know this but take peppermint water into hospital with you and don't drink fizzy drinks shortly after you've had it, takes your tummy a while to adjust but both of those things will help.

Wow, out the next day, I suppose everyone is different. I know our hospital, likes to chuck you out as soon as they can. Il get some peppermint water packed in my case then. Thank you x

To be fair I did start asking them to discharge me pretty much as soon as the catheter was out as I have another child at home who was under the weather at the time and missing mummy cuddles. There was another lady in there who didn't want to go straight away and I think she stayed in a bit longer.

When did you all drive after your sections? The housework and general jobs like that, doesn’t bother me as not doing much of that now, it’s the driving. x

I drove 2 weeks after x

1 like

Your insurance says when you can drive. Legally i think its 6 weeks after a major operation. Double check your car insurance as it may say when you can safely perform an emergency stop or give number of weeks.

Even if i could have driven i stayed in the house for the first 8 weeks anyway. Didn't want the baby getting winter germs

Please don’t give up on the idea of breastfeeding just because you will have a c section. Once you get the hang of it, breastfeeding is amazing. It’s so good for you as well as for your baby. Maybe talk to the national breast feeding helpline or your local la Leche league group before you decide on bottle feeding. I’m so glad I persevered with breastfeeding despite a very difficult and traumatic birth, not least because it gets you to release oxytocin, the happy hormone, and that hormone helps get you through sleepless nights.

1 like

I’m gonna try, but I want to exclusively express more than anything x

I know we have messaged about this before. I still think exclusive expressing is a huge amount of work and you should know that the baby doesn’t get quite as many benefits from expressed breast milk as fresh- some of the nutrients are lost when breast milk is frozen or refrigerated and your body creates antibodies to give the baby immunity based on the backwash your baby puts into your breast when suckling- this wont happen if your baby has breast milk from the bottle. Breast milk is still going to be better than formula in a bottle but breast milk from the breast is gold standard.

Agreed. Got to be honest I can’t even imagine expressing for that first feed in the hospital when baby is just rooting for milk. I’m sure somebody must do it but looking back, I just can’t imagine being able to express enough milk right from the beginning without having to spend a lot of time not with my baby even though they only drink tiny amounts, it’s so frequent at that stage.

Totally support whatever you want to do either way but if you do want him/her to be fed on breastmilk if possible, I’d recommend discussing this with the midwife team before baby is born as you will likely need a lot of support. Expressing is much harder than breastfeeding in my opinion (others might have different experiences of course but I personally don’t know anyone who has managed to exclusively express right from the start). xx

1 like

I guess I would add, at least make sure you have bought or hired a hospital grade double pump- home pumps just aren’t designed for that level of use. You might also want to look into a pumping bra so you don’t have to hold the funnels to your breast as it’s really boring sitting there pumping with your hands full of funnel!

I had a planned c section. Only took a few weeks to heal and it was so relaxed and easy.

I was picking the baby up the night of the birth and doing normal things as soon as i got home a day later. I've not got any incontinence issues (a huge unspoken thing with women who've given birth naturally) and will be going in with a c section for sure on my next pregnancy.

My c section experience hasn’t been the greatest my beautiful baby is perfect and 6 weeks old but I’ve spent 3 weeks in hospital and had to have another c section so a reopening when he was 10 days old because of an infection and heamatoma and cyst ! I’m still under the hospital and they said it will take me 6-12 months to heal and 3-6 months on painkillers.

Obviously wouldn’t change it for the world as I’ve got my beautiful rainbow boy but it’s been a rollercoaster and still in pain with the lumps still there. I’ve had previous inductions (2) they weren’t that bad one was 18 hours long first baby and my other was 5 hours long. Do what’s best for you Hun everyone is different and there pros and cons in either it’s just down to you. All the best xx

Is there anything that I need after my c section?? I’ve heard to get pants, leggings/trousers that are like high waisted so don’t rub on stitches, do I need like any pads to put over stitches, incase if leaks? x

Leggings are your best bet and they should provide you with dressings but my midwife told me to take mine off the next day anyway. Big big knickers to go over the top of the cut. Lots of maternity pads as it’s a lot of bleeding in the first few days/weeks. Peppermint oil/tea and the wind can be uncomfortable. Take an extra pillow so you can put it under your belly as it feels like a water bed and pulls on the stitches x

1 like

I will be going out this week then, to buy some leggings and big knickers lol. I have loads of pads also got some pull ups aswell. I’ve Head about peppermint tea, il add that too my list aswell. Does like mints (polos) Work the same?? I have got pillow on my list too pack x

I think you need to buy proper peppermint oil but maybe ask your midwife as they should provide it but I really had to moan about the wind before they mentioned it. Also ask about whether the anaesthetic they use causes the feeling of itching as my spinal injection made me itch all over so bad but they never offered to give me anything but maybe they could of if I went on enough about it x

1 like

I’m seeing midwife this week, so will mention about the peppermint x

1 like

You may also like...