NCT
29,042 members11,589 posts

Growth scan

Aaarrrrgggghhhhh..... just had growth scan at 32+3 and estimate weight 5lb 3ozs, anyone had similar?

29 Replies
oldestnewest

Are they saying that’s big? X

Yes very large, tummy measurements are way of the scale aswel. But in my growth chart they have plotted me at 33 weeks, so nothing to worry there. Just baby is large. X

I’ve heard so many times these scans are wrong so I wouldn’t worry too much. I measured perfect everytime and I didn’t look big at all and my baby was 10lb 1oz. I always dreaded a big baby but it was quite nice as she didn’t seem as fragile x

2 likes

Oh wow 10lb 1oz that’s my biggest fear having a big baby. But like you say, they aren’t as fragile. Yea I’m heard that aswell, it’s just a rough estimate, but does make me start to worry. I’m seeing my consultant Wednesday so hopefully, will put my mind at ease. They was asking if my dates are correct aswell. Which I’m sure they are. x

Yeah I was always dreading a 9lb baby and then they weighed her and I couldn’t believe it 😂. What will they do if they think the baby is too big? X

I have no idea lol. Suppose just got too wait see what consultant says, I have another scan in 2 weeks. x

1 like

Let’s put it this way, I had scan 3 weeks ago and baby was 3lb 3ozs today 5lb 3ozs x

1 like

That can’t be right....can it? Surely they’ve made an error on one of those measurements? It’s seems an awful lot in such a short space of time!

2 likes

I had a growth scan at 26 weeks plus 4 and they said she already weighed 2lb 4oz and measured 26cm and then at my local midwife appointment last Tuesday- 28 weeks plus said she now measured 29cm. Got another growth scan on 25th Jan- 30 weeks plus 4 so will keep you updated.

1 like

They say big babies are easier to give birth to as well. If they are worried your baby will be too big by the due date they may talk about inducing you x

How can a big baby be easy to give birth to 😂 yea I thought they may mention about inducing me x

No idea but my nan had 14 babies, each one weighing over 10lb and she was only 5ft and a size 3 shoe! Apparently she had a really easy time with all of them.

1 like

Just an update-scan today at 30 plus 4 and she now weighs 4lb 2oz. Been told I'll be induced at 38/39weeks. Hope you're okay x

1 like

Thank you for updating me. Oh wow, so you have already been told you will be induced. I saw my consultant last week and she sending me for another GTT, which is Wednesday along with my scan, I will be 34+5. Consultant said depending on the outcome and if baby still measuring big, I may be induced or c section. But not seeing her again till I’m 36+5 which in my eyes to quite late. My midwife said they should of booked me in with consultant couple days after scan, to discuss options. So I’m starting too feel very anxious x

I've been told I'll be induced from the very beginning as I have lupus as there's a higher risk of pre eclampsia and still birth after 39 weeks. She's measuring quite big too so I think she'll be between 8-9lb from being early if she carries on the way she's growing. Oddly enough I'm now being sent for a GTT after being told twice I didn't need one based on my family history. I have another growth scan in 4 weeks and the one I have after that will decide when the induce me but they did also warn me because of the lupus a lot of women with it got into labour early on their own xx

I wish my big baby was easy to give birth too 😂 I was fully dilated, tried forceps twice and then had a c-section. But I definitely loved having a more meaty baby x

1 like

Lol! I go to acupuncture, pregnancy yoga, do hypnobirthing at home and I'm starting perineal massage soon and just got a birth ball to help with my back pain. Plus my friend recommended this weird aniball device that will apparently prevent tearing. So I'm trying a bit of everything to try and make the birth less traumatic for me as possible but I suppose whatever will be will be!

1 like

No harm trying as much as you can. I was in denial about labour I was still terrified that I wouldn’t get a baby after everything I couldn’t even think about things like that. I didn’t think about the labour and my bag wasn’t fully packed until really late x

I think because we'd never been pregnant in just over 2 years of trying I was just shocked to see our first round of ivf worked and then was anxious about losing the baby. With the unexplained infertility I had really bad anxiety and panic attacks so once I got pregnant I was keen to have a positive experience. I had terrible sickness but I was just happy to be pregnant and now i'm so excited about meeting our baby I just keep telling myself I know labour will hurt but it'll be worth it and my excitement is overriding my fear x

1 like

I know what you mean we were similar except had a miscarriage after first IVF so I was super anxious during my pregnancy. I wish I had enjoyed it more. Although I didn’t prepare for the birth etc and it didn’t go very well as soon as I held her I knew I would do it all again in a heartbeat x

1 like

25+5 weeks, I was measuring 29cm growth scan at 26 weeks estimate weight 2lb 7ozs, 28+5 weeks I was measuring 29cm, growth scan at 29weeks baby’s weight 3lb 3 ozs, 31+5 I was measuring 36cm, scan today baby weight 5lb 5ozs x

1 like

Growth scans arnt always accurate, at 36 weeks he was measuring to be 5.5 pounds and was born at 39+3 at 4lbs 12oz!

2 likes

I agree wuth imo93. Growth scans are not accurate. My sis in law had extra scans through pregnancy and always measured small. Was told her baby was on small side. Ended up 8lbs!

I measured fine with first she was born a dot at only 5lbs. With second had scan showed baby was 6 10 at 37 weeks born on due date 6lbs 5,! It's all guesstimate at end of day. Each sonographer will tell u diff story lol.

Good luck with everything . Hope it girs well for u. At the end of the day a baby is a baby. U won't care what the size when comes to the crunch as your motivation will be just to get through it all to hold this lil miracle u helped create xx

I’d take it with a pinch of salt! I know so many people that were told their baby was going to be big/small and it was the total opposite. Xxx

1 like

If they think he is likely to be very large they may try and suggest a section. Just be prepared for that.

1 like

I’m prepared for them to say induced or c section. Suppose just got too wait and see what consultant says x

Do you have GD? that can contribute.

It also depends if they’ve drank before the measurement is taken as their belly can then measure a bit bigger.

My babies belly is about a week or so ahead, they aren’t concerned but I do have GD.

As previous posters have said. These scans can be so inaccurate. I’ve heard wild stories of people being induced for a big baby and the baby coming out 2lbs lighter than what they had guesttimated!! Xx

I had the GD tests and all fine, yea that’s the thing, baby was curled up in a ball, she took about 4/5 measurements until she got smaller measurement. x

Hi try not to worry. they said my baby was big through out and had to have 3 x glucose test but test came back fine . In the end my baby scan at 39 weeks came back baby was showing nearby 10 lbs so they decided to induce me the next day . I started to panic as wasn’t at all prepared for baby being born next day . Well 2 days later my baby was born and she only weighed 8lbs 7 oz so growth scan wasn’t 100% right . Try not to worry . Good luck 😉

2 likes

You may also like...