Stomach bug whilst pregnant 🤦🏽‍♀️: Hi. Honestly this... - NCT

NCT
32,113 members12,255 posts

Stomach bug whilst pregnant 🤦🏽‍♀️

Hi.

Honestly this pregnancy is far from smooth!

I’ve been having heartburn most evenings which I accept is caused pregnancy.

Last night I had a upset stomach & several times this morning.

So I phoned the midwife & honestly why did I bother. Whilst she was nice she pointed I shouldn’t be calling till after 12 week scan-what? I was told after my booking in appointment I could call anytime I had any worries🤦🏽‍♀️ has anyone else been told this? I didn’t think if it was appropriate to call my GP with just a stomach upset!

It took us a very long time to conceive- 7 years- and I don’t feel very supported.

16 Replies
oldestnewest

When I went to my first meet with my midwife she told me that I should go to my gp with any problems until I was 16weeks.

after 16weeks she told I could contact to MAU department at my hospital she never told me I couldn’t contact her though:/! But Iv tried before about somthing and she’s never available 🙄

Hope you feel better soon! Xxx

1 like

Thank you. Mine told me I could ring anytime I was worried.

I’m sorry you had worries & they haven’t been there. It’s crap. xoxo

Hi Jess, I was unwell with a bug - bottom end 🙈 - for over a week when I was about 21 weeks, nothing was staying in. It was awful, I felt terrible and I was so worried about baby. GP did tests to check whether I had any infection or parasite there which I didn’t but he said I’d probably just reacted badly to a routine 24hr thing because of the pregnancy which means it was worse and lasted longer - hubby was fine so nothing serious. After a few days I rang midwife to ask should I be doing anything different to protect baby and would they be getting any nutrients if stuff was just passing right through me - it wasn’t my own midwife who is always so lovely, this lady told me very bluntly that no baby would not be getting any (or very little) nutrients; she said it as if that should have been obvious! I was pretty upset, as whilst it might have been a routine bug, I hadn’t got this far in a pregnancy before and don’t know what’s normal or not so just wanted reassurance even if that was “baby will be fine for this limited time, no infection, they won’t be affected by the bug just they won’t get much my way of food from you until you’re better.” That’s all I needed. I was very taken aback by her bluntness and lack of empathy.

Hope you feel better soon and recommend you do get to your GP to be checked out, but chances are it will just run its course and you will both be fine xx

1 like

Thank you.

This isn’t my normal lovely midwife. They’ve so been blunt with me - I dread calling them.I burst into tears after the call - I just feel so unsupported, I think I will raise that at my next appointment with the midwife. I think they either forget I’ve tried for so long or just don’t care. I was told I could call them anytime- I was told I shouldn’t be until after my 12 week scan. She did say if I was still unwell by tomorrow to call the GP.

I’m so sorry for your experience, I don’t know what is the matter with people these days really I don’t 😢xoxo

I understand what they mean in the sense they can’t handle all issues so some things do need to be seen by a GP. But what is wrong with just a sympathetic ear and some words of comfort!?

I’d had it 3 days before I saw GP which I believe is the guidance for any stomach bug. Get well soon! x

1 like

Exactly that!

Thank you xoxo

1 like

Hi jess

Sorry to hear of your heartburn and stomach upset. Hope your stomach ache has subsided and that you are feeling better than before. Did you eat anything different perhaps?

All these symptoms dont help when pregnant. If it was the case that you couldnt call midwife until after 12wks, they should have made this clear to you there and then. You did the right thing by calling them if they are not gona help you who will. After all you were told this at the booking appointment. Dont let them make you feel guilty.

When i went to see my midwife...she had a student midwife with her who went through the green book with me. She put some stickers on in front of the green book of contact telephone numbers of the local hospitals and the midwife team. My midwife told me she only works part time and if i needed anything to ring her other colleagues if shes not available or the 24 hour tel number where a midwife will be available 24/7 on the phone.

Are there any telephone numbers on your green book to the equivalent that you may call? Perhaps ring your gp surgery and explain what the midwife said and where you are supposed to go to for any concerns other than gp?

Could you speak to someone at a pharmacy at least? I know what you mean, with your midwife being the named person to look after you, you should be able to approach them about any matter.

Although my midwife was softly spoken and i got on with her at the apt, I dont have a rapport with her yet having only met her once. In time i will tell how useful and supportive she is.

If your stomach ache gets worse please dont hesitate to call GP. Let them deal with it. If nothing else you can have a telephone consultation with GP. Hope you feel better soon xxx

1 like

Thank you.

Exactly why say I can ring if that’s not the case? I only have 2 contact numbers - the line I called earlier or an emergency number.

I am pretty unhappy with how I’ve been treated.

Thankfully haven’t had an upset stomach since morning. I had endometriosis all over my bowel which I’m sure the scar tissue there doesn’t help. xoxo

Glad you are feeling better. Hope it doesnt return. x

Oh no Jess, just saw your post. I hope all is ok now? Someone posted recently about a bad bought (bowt? Bout?) of morning sickness being so bad that she was put on a drip in hospital. Can you call your clinic? Or your gp? Just to put your mind at rest? They will at least be acutely aware of your history. Besides that I am really hoping you are actually already better xxx

1 like

Thank you.

I was pretty upset with how it was dealt with & just feel so unsupported by them. I almost feel like saying something to PALS- they were uninterested about chickenpox & shingles at my place of work. Although she offered some advice over this pointed out I shouldn’t call until I was12 weeks scan - I wasn’t told that at the appointment. There is no consideration of how hard it has been to get here & that we will worry more.🤦🏽‍♀️

I’m not sure if the clinic would be interested- I told my fertility doctor secretary about my scan & she wants me to keep her posted, which was lovely. 🙂

At least I haven’t had an upset stomach since the morning. 🤞🏻I work at a school so I probably picked up there!

How are you? xoxo

It's awful isn't it. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. If nothing else maybe they should be worried that you are going to work in a school? Surely even for that they should be testing you and making you stay off for 48hours?

Glad everything has settled and hopefully the clinic will give you some support. Xxx

Doing ok, you know how it is - panicking about anything including having symptoms and not. One week and one sleep to go until next scan, 2 sleeps until reached 7 weeks and 7 sleeps until husband home x

1 like

Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. And sorry you didn't really get anywhere ringing the midwife. I don't have a number for my midwife just a free 24hr number where there will always be a midwife to speak to. At my booking appointment she said I could ring the number if I had any concerns, nothing about waiting for 12 week scan before I can call them. You must have felt so frustrated hearing this. I hope that you are getting plenty of rest and that you feel better soon. Xx

1 like

Yep, my midwife didn’t want to know until after my 12 week scan, it’s ridiculous. We had tried for 6 years and the dizzy mare offered to listen in with Doppler at just under 11 weeks and no heartbeat. I cane on here In a right mess after she sent me home hearing nothing and found out they aren’t supposed to use dopplers before the 12 week scan because there’s no follow up!! Even with no heartbeat. So I made a complaint in the end. I felt very rejected by them. Luckily at 13+5 I had my scan and all was well, but then more drama at the 20 week scan and In the end I ended up consultant led due to bmi age a d hypothyroid. So that was extra scans etc which was nice, but the initial care I got was crap.

1 like

At 5 weeks I was in absolute agongy couldn’t stand and needed a hot water bottle phoned the EPU after phoning the GP for a scan as I wasn’t worried I was ectopic and they literally told me to go away! I then said I’m really high risk etc (cystic fibrois with 40% lung function) and still they didn’t care. After I spoke to my team told them I was pregnant but worried I was ectopic I got a scan straight away but had been in agongy for days as the woman on the phone made me feel really stupid! Saying “every woman thinks that but unless your bleeding it’s fine”

I did turn out to be ok, but I told the woman who scanned me about my experiance and she wasn’t impressed! Some of them just do not give a hoot about their job or the people they see! 😡

I had a few arkward midwives. A few refused to see me. But the nicer ones always seen me when I requested to. But as I was consultant led care I often couldn’t get hold of my midwives . So ended up admitted a few times more than needed to sort medications and things out. Xx

You may also like...