Log in
26,924 members10,870 posts

The baby’s father!

Hi this isn’t really anything to do with health but I thought I would post it anyway to see if I can get some kind of help or answer. Basically in a nut shell me and my baby’s dad hadn’t been together long before splitting and a week later I found out I was pregnant, from the moment I found out he wasn’t happy to say the least at first he didn’t want to be involved then he did then he didn’t then did then he didn’t bla bla bla anyway I’m now 33 wks and he has blocked all contact I don’t know his parents as they live in Stockholm last I heard from him he said he doesn’t want to be on the birth certificate. And I think he’s also moved back to Stockholm but I don’t have an address, does anyone know if there’s a way I can get him in the birth certificate and also how I can go about claiming maintenance if that’s even possible? Thank you from one very stressed Mamma to be

7 Replies


Sounds like a nightmare bless you! Here’s some info

An unmarried father can get parental responsibility for his child in 1 of 3 ways:

jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother

getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother

getting a parental responsibility order from a court

Here’s some info on what giving the father parental Responsibility would mean childlawadvice.org.uk/infor...

The law treats Parental Responsibility and child maintenance as being completely separate so you don’t have to get him to agree to go to register the birth or sign an agreement. An unmarried father who does not have Parental Responsibility still has a duty towards his child to provide child support maintenance. An unmarried father without Parental Responsibility will also still have some rights, for example:

he has an automatic right to apply to the court for certain court orders in respect to his child; and

if the child is in Local Authority care, he has a right to have reasonable contact with his child.

Here is information on claiming child support if he does deny parentage: gov.uk/child-maintenance/di...

I hope this helps! In short, not having him on the birth certificate will not hinder your ability to claim support. Having him on the certificate will grant him rights you might not want him to have.

Hope you manage to get it sorted x


Forgot to mention, I don’t know the implications of him not being in the uk. The .gov link above his contact details should you need to discuss this or your local citizens advice bureau x


Only way to make him.be on bc is to take him to court and have a judge order a DNA test to prove he's the father which you'll need for maintenance anyway.


If he refuses dna the child maintenance will ‘presume’ he’s the father and make him pay anyway.


Not always depends on the individual judge


It’s not the judge it’s csa that do


Child maintenance has all changed you have to pay for them to handle it for you and csa won't automatically assume anymore. And it would be a judge if she wants to get him on the birth certificate as only a judge can enforce that


You may also like...