NCT
24,167 members9,885 posts

Dear mothers, is Amoxicillin safe to use during pregnancy?

I have been feeling quite sick for the past two weeks, and in last two days, I could feel that the symptom has got worse. I could not sleep due to the bad coughing and throat irritation. today I went to the walk-in clinic and after hearing me, the doctor prescribed the Amoxicillin for 7 days. I had refused to take any medication for I am 9 weeks pregnant but I really feel bad and worrying that might affect the baby. dear mothers, have you taken the medication when you got sick during pregnancy? should I take it or should I again consult an Obstetrician?

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I had a really bad urine infection at around 17 weeks pregnant and was prescribed 500mg amoxicillin 3 times daily for a week.

It’s safe to take during pregnancy so try not to worry xxx

oh, sorry to hear that. I hope you are feeling all fine by now. I took the medication yesterday and guess what, just after 3 pills, I felt much better and finally got some sleep. thank you. xxx

2 likes

Perfectly safe 👍

Amoxicillin and paracetamol are the only two medications that have had a clinical trial done on pregnant mothers, in the days before they thought about the ethical implications - or so my GP told me. They were both deemed safe to use while pregnant. Get well soon.

and it seemed very effective. I took 3 pills yesterday and last night I was finally able to sleep and today I feel much better. Thank God. thank you too :) xxx

You may also like...