Keep thinking it's all a dream

After 8-9 years of trying for a baby and doctors telling us we couldn't conceive, I finally became pregnant with my third child at the beginning of this year :-D I'm just approaching 26 weeks now but it feels like a part of my brain just won't accept the reality that I will be having my baby in around 3 months time. I keep thinking I will wake up and find it was all a dream. So many times in the last 9 years I have had dreams where I was pregnant or holding and feeding my beautiful baby, only to wake up in the morning and feel a real sense of loss :'(

My in laws have just been to visit and brought up a cot which is now assembled in our bedroom but it seems so unreal. I'm sure when I am finally holding the little one in my arms I will finally be able to accept that it really is happening to me but it would be good to feel accepting and properly maternal before then.

12 Replies

• Hi hun, a big congratulations! 9 years wow- a miracle baby :-) you have got plenty of time to feel like it's actually happening so don't stress about it :-) do you know gender? Are your older children excited? Xx

• Yes a real miracle baby :) Thanks I'm sure I will, i guess lack of sleep is not helping me right now. We don't know know but have a 4D scan next Sat which may reveal all.My daughters (13 & 15) are over the moon :)

• Thanks i think you are right. I'm very scared that something might go wrong as i don't think we could conceive again. Lol, if the contractions don't make it real, nothing will!

It was certainly an enormous surprise and i spent hours googling how i could have had a positive pregnancy test without being i've had 2 scans and baby is kicking strongly i know i am physically experiencing pregnancy. It's just so hard to imagine actually having another baby.

Your response and others certainly help me feel better. Thanks x

• It's so surreal it took me a while to get my head round it and when u really take it in its just stitch an emotional feeling thinking it won't be long till u hold that baby in ur arms a baby a beautiful little baby xx

• I can't wait until the end of September, it's coming up so fast. I wish it were tomorrow and baby was about to come and make it all real. Can't wait to cuddle him/her :)

• Congratulations, wow 9 years and will definitely be worth the wait. So pleased for you and your family! X

• Thanks x

• Congratulations - after all this time I bet the time can't pass quickly enough !

We are in a similar position (never thinking we could be lucky enough) now 17 weeks and fingers crossed all well.

Wishing you all the very best

• Thanks. It's a wonderful feeling and I feel so blessed. I hope all goes well for you as well.

• congrate- i have been trying for 9 year now but still nothing happen any advise even been pregnant before any tips

• I'm sorry to hear you've had no luck after 9 years - I know the pain you are going through. I did nothing special to get pregnant this time around. All I did was keep as healthy as possible - running and other exercise. It did happen very soon after my husband gave up smoking, but I don't know if that was a factor as it wasn't the first time he stopped. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I sincerely wish you all the best and I hope that things go your way soon. Don't give up xx

• Hi - we had been very lucky - but I'd stopped smoking for nearly 2 years and had cut out a lot of the booze ... Worth it ... Plus what you save you can put towards nappies !

You may also like...