Anyone using L carnitine? (Supplement) - My MSAA Community

My MSAA Community
4,667 members β€’ 9,635 posts

Anyone using L carnitine? (Supplement)

I have seen a little on this in the literature and wondered what others might know?

9 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Hi erash I've never heard of it, what does it actually do or help with? Hope u are well and ok xxx 😊😊😊😊😊

4 likes

Lol

I can’t remember exactly but think it’s related to mitochondria and cell energy

4 likes

Right ok lol thank u for the reply xxx 😁😁😁😁

2 likes

sciencedirect.com/science/a...

cochrane.org/CD007280/MS_ca...

I'm not seeing much evidence of anything more than a placebo effect, but I have not taken it myself. After reading about it, I decided that other supplements would have a greater chance of helping. Of course, everyone is different!

3 likes

thank you for posting those studies. I think the last sentence of the2nd abstract stating that the safety is unclear is biggie!

4 likes

I've been taking it to see if it would help with fatigue but I haven't noticed any difference. I'll finish off the bottle I have now but won't get it again. It's hard to find in the stores and many don't carry it at all in their inventory.

3 likes

Curious how long you have tried it for? I have no clue how long it would take to see an effect but suspect it would be at least 3-6 mos. I am not advocating for or against L carnitine. I just heard a neurologist mention it along with Co Q10 as a recommended MS supplement and wanted to see what others experiences might be. The studies greaterexp posted certainly don't support its efficacy.

2 likes

I've been trying it for about 2 months. I had seen a webinar on you tube that suggested the use along with high dose of vitamin d. I currently work in a building that has no windows in it so I need as much vitamin d as I can get but I haven't noticed any difference in fatigue for the l carnitine.

3 likes

I took l-carnitine recently when I had heat intolerance my pulse would skyrocket with any heat. It definitely helped that. I have hypothyroidism so I’m looking for info myself to see if I can take it with that condition. I’ve read it helps regenerate myelin and I have b12 deficiency so myelin damage. I had no problems while taking it and felt fine. I read it could lower thyroid more so I stopped and trying to confirm that

1 like