My MSAA Community
3,772 members7,205 posts

Depression! A MS treat!

Depression! A MS treat!

Occasionally I am hit hard with a bout of depression. Never suffered until the last couple of years, then all of a sudden, bang, it hits me. As I don’t like to take any medication, as I am super sensitive to drugs, please could you all share how you handle it. I cry at the drop of a hat, I think I am in the way and everyone would be better off without me, I really do dislike how ms makes me feel. So if you have any tips they will all be appreciated. Thank you and blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫,

40 Replies
oldestnewest

I have been on Cymbalta for twenty three years and seems to really help 👍. I still have my moments and have to turn it over to the Lord 🙏. I just try not to let it get ahold of me as depression Anxiety, and stress are the killers for me 😡I also have a really good friend that I can talk to and that helps. I try not to unload to my wife as she has her own problems and it just upsets her too much 🤷🏼‍♂️. I seem to have the worst luck so I just try to go with the flow 👍. I have heard counseling helps a lot of people, but I don’t like telling staggers my business 🤷🏼‍♂️ Good luck, not sure this helps much. 🙏🐾😉 Ken

14 likes

Thanks ken, like you, I cannot do counselling. I can open up on here, because I can feel the care, warmth and love. 🤗

2 likes

Oh bless u hun ❤❤❤❤🍫🍫🍫🍫. I've had depression on + off for about 10 years since I lost my parents in quick succession and one of my best friends. It all hit me very hard and I keep trying to come off the Citalopram with not much success 🤔🤔🤔🤔 I understand how hard it is and a pj day sounds fab! Any tips? Well I just try to believe in karma and treat people as I want to be treated and u are a lovely person who has created a lovely family who probably love u more than u realise 😊😊😊🍫🍫🍫🍫. Big hugs and don't think of yourself as a lesser person because u are not! Xxx xx

10 likes

Thank you Janet, we should arrange to meet up sometime. Share some 🍫 🤗

2 likes

We should hun definitely that would be nice xxxx ❤❤❤😊😊😊😊

2 likes

I’ve been on an antidepressant since I was 18 (15 years). It is low dose of Prozac now and it is amazing along with lots of prayer. I can completely understand being hesitant because of sensitivity; but to me it would be SO worth trying at least a little something. For me, personally, the benefit FAR outweighs the risk. Good Luck. Praying for you!

11 likes

Thank you. My mum took Prozac for years and was always putting the dose up then down, then up, I just don’t want to go down that road yet. Thank you for your prayers, they are appreciated. 🦋 🍫

1 like

Hugs n Luvs my friend! Sometimes it's ok to have a bad day or 2.

No one can be happy 24/7 except me😀🙃 rolling eyes. 😂 Sometimes, you need to give your body that release. Then pull yourself back together later.

You are loved jimeka 🤗💕

J🌠

11 likes

Thank you. Big hug 🤗

Sometimes just saying how you feel, out loud, to someone else can help.

Luckily I have a sister and sister-in-law that can always make me laugh.

I am sure that your family loves ❤️ you and wants you around, no matter what your abilities are, because you exude love. I don’t know about everyone else on this site but I can feel it from across the Atlantic!

12 likes

Aww, thank you, but you all reciprocate it. The love and care on this site is amazing. Hugs, Jimeka 🤗 🍫

2 likes

Oh, Happy Mother’s Day Jimena!

7 likes

Oh True Blessings sweety! I First Pray, then i take a positve wellness/aditude tea w/happy camper herbs caps. & my 10,000 ius of vitaminD... As u know I too am way sensitive to any weirdo-drugs, So, do know are loved in here! & i too have those thawts of not worth anything, i also Love my art group i'm in, it helps to draw out what i amfeeling, then chnge it fr better!!💐🌹💜😻👍❤💙Love you M.S. sis! & pajamas day wrks fer me...lol!😍😍😍

7 likes

Thank you , we should all have a ms pyjama day. Maybe we could raise some money for a cure. Blessings Jimeka 🦋 🌈

2 likes

Jimeka, I, for one, have been touched by your sweet and kind spirit. I'm sorry you are battling depression. Please speak to your doctor about this. Tell him (or her) your hesitancy to be on any additional medication and ask for suggestions. I can understand that. I like copying things down I've read that make me smile and reread them during difficult times. I have notes on my tablet for just that. If you have any artistic flair (I do NOT), try to express or release how you are feeling through that. I listen to music a lot on Spotify. I know I'm kinda nutty but I have a playlist of Disney songs that always cheer me up and, yes, I've been known to listen to Christmas music even in summer months! In fact, I watched a Christmas movie the other day!! It was so doggon hot, I needed something to help me think of cooler days! Another thing I have found escape in at times is Pinterest. I like funny things and there are some funny quotes out there. And, as I've said before, I find comfort in watching and listening to wildlife. These are just some ideas. Please seek help when it gets too difficult and know that even though you may not feel it at times, you ARE loved.

10 likes

Thank you Tinkerbelle. I love your handle. When I was down I would go galloping away on my horse and tell her everything, then I would feel such relief, but then I had a bad fall off someone else’s horse, never to ride again. So I wasn’t going to be beaten, I would walk miles with my dog, tell him everything, but the ms had other plans for me, someone else now walks my dog. I love gardening, so I talk to the plants but again the ms has other plans and bending down now is difficult. Maybe I should just quit and realise I should be giving it all to the Lord, I guess I am a slow learner. I love your ideas, I love Home Alone 3, it always makes me laugh. Thank you again, hugs Jimeka 🤗 🍫

3 likes

Oh, how terrible. That must have been horribly scary. I think the love of a dog can be some of the best therapy in the world, too. Their love is so unconditional. MS does have a bad habit of getting in the way of our plans. It can't take away that love, though. Best wishes to you, jimeka. I hope you are having a much better day today.

1 like

I never took any mediations before getting sick. No daily meds until I was over 40. I finally got some migraine rescue meds in my late 30s.

Then I got sick. I hate meds too but I sure have a box full of them now. I went on an anti-depressant and use Cymbalta because it also covers pain. I wish I wasn't sick. I wish I didn't have to take ANY medications. I'm coming to grips with it (kind of.......).

All the things that helps depression, 30 minutes of walking outside a day for example, are hard now.

Lots of love on Mothers Day (American holiday, not sure if it's mothers day on your side of the ocean).

8 likes

It’s hard when the things you love doing are taken away from you. Are you any closer to a dx? Blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫

2 likes

I am waiting for insurance to approve my MRI to look for changes and MS. I have lesions that "could" be consistent to MS but my neurologist felt they were in the wrong place for MS. So now I wait to see if there's been any changes in the last year. I sure wish auto-immune diseases could be diagnosed easier then this!

It is no joke having things you love taken away by illness. I NEVER thought I'd be in this position. I always assumed I would BE the caregiver, not needing one.

I hope you are feeling better ❤️🌸

2 likes

I think things were just getting on top of me. I find that in life, everything happens at once. It’s been sunny today, so I think I feel better just seeing the sun, rather than all the rain we have had. My father in law passed April 2017, and my husband is the executor so the farm is a tenancy. My husband has been told by the landlord, that the farm has to be left how it was when my father in law took it on, that was in1963. So we have a big shed with an asbestos roof has to come down, all the concrete floor smashed up and back to pasture. They only told us last week, over a year since he passed, and we have to be off the farm end of January 2019. So it’s all systems go and a lot of expense. Apparently money grows on trees! Hope you get sorted soon, blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫

1 like

Oh, Jimeka! That is a lot happening! It sounds stressful, which is of course no good for your health. I hope you can take some time to focus on your mental and physical health 🌼

1 like

It’s clear that we all love you and appreciate you so much. I know we all wish we could snap our fingers and make the depression go away. There are great suggestions being given here, and I would encourage you to consider trying a medication. There are so many to choose from, so if one has undesirable side effects or doesn’t help, there is another to try. I hate to think of you suffering needlessly. I’ll be praying for you, whatever you choose, sweetest woman.

4 likes

Thanks Erin, but I don’t want to be unduly drugged. If I can fight it, I will. Thank you 🤗 🌈

3 likes

"I cry at the drop of a hat, I think I am in the way and everyone would be better off without me". I seem to be doing this as well. I take a few antidepressants but not enough. I am happy with what I'm taking. Sometimes understanding what is going on helps the fight. So, I don't know if you have heard about PBA?

"Pseudobulbar affect (PBA), or emotional incontinence, is a type of emotional disturbance characterized by uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing, or other emotional displays. Recent studies suggest that approximately 10% of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) will experience at least one episode of emotional lability. PBA is generally associated with later stages of the disease (chronic progressive phase). PBA in MS patients is associated with more severe intellectual deterioration, physical disability, and neurological disability." *** the above paragraph is taken from online sources from the URLs presented below ~terry ***.

I see various commercials on TV about this. Maybe doing an online search will help you. You can also check the URLs I've provided below to assist you. You are a very valuable person to this online site and are deeply loved by us. So I hope you find some comfort soon as depression is something I am and have been intimately familiar with most of my life.

pbainfo.org/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseud...

nuedexta.com/could-i-have-pba

~terry

1 like

Thank you Terry, your links are much appreciated. Blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫 🌈 🤗

1 like

Jimena, yours is the first post that I have responded to. It called out to me. The cartoon was a nice addition. You are articulate and express you feelings well. Talk to someone (therapist). Your feelings are real and should be discussed and hopefully resolved. It goes without saying that no one would be better without you.

3 likes

Thank you. We all have bad days, some worse than others and it only takes someone to say something or something to go wrong, and the world turns upside down. Nice to meet you, and again thank you for responding, blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫

2 likes

jimeka I don't feel that I can comment about the depression. My father suffered from that when I was a child and I remember how scary it was for me. Know you are loved, both by us and by your family. I don't think your Harry would think he would be better without you!

2 likes

Thank you . Harry is coming up 10 soon and he is starting to go through the adolescent stage, so there are turbulent moments. Blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫 🤗

2 likes

jimeka I taught for 37 years, much of it in 5th grade where most are 10 and 11 years old so I am well aware of the turbulent pre-teens! Hang in there! Most grow to be wonderful adults if the adults in their life stick with them, and don't make excuses for them all the time!

Precious jimeka, you are much loved and appreciated for all you do for us, your friends. Please ask for something to help. I was on Cymbalta, but it was too overpowering for my whole body. I did not need that much medicine. I am now on Lexapro, and only take 1/2 of the 5 mg pill. Please get help. Depression is a bad thing. Been there, done that. I was afraid to be alone, for fear of what I might do. That is no way to live, when there is so much that can be done to alleviate it. There is a Christian author, Barbara Johnson, now deceased, who wrote a series of books, created out of her sorrow in losing 2 sons in death and another in an alternate lifestyle. She found a way to look for and find "pieces of joy" in everything she saw. She would start her day seeing Dove soap as reminding her of the dove of the Holy Spirit being with her all day. People would send her funny statements to encourage her. Each of her books is full of humorous statements of encouragement. Some of the titles are Plant a Geranium in Your Cranium, which came from when she had brain cancer. Another is God's Most Precious Jewels are Crystallized Tears, and Living Somewhere Between Estrogen and Death. One of her sayings is "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another." Charles Dickens. "Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." "We have a loving God who uses broken earthly vessels to touch other lives for Himself." "Every gemstone must be polished before it can be placed in the setting. Just as a jeweler uses diamond-edged tools and files to turn a rough stone into a beautiful gem, the trials that roll through our lives, fracturing our hearts and grinding us down, serve to polish us so that we shine more brilliantly as God's most precious jewels." I will end this with one of her "Moments of Mirth in the Manure Pile." (She also said that the manure piles in our lives are where we grow best!) She had to deal with brain cancer, and the following was sent to her regarding that. We can all fill the first line to MS - Cancer (MS) is so limited. It cannot cripple love. It cannot shatter hope. It cannot corrode faith. It cannot eat away peace. It cannot destroy confidence. It cannot kill friendship. It cannot shut out memories. It cannot silence courage. It cannot invade the soul. It cannot reduce eternal life. It cannot quench the Spirit. It cannot lessen the power of the resurrection." Author Unknown.

Please be encouraged. We love you and want to hear that you are better and back on top of this "manure pit" in your life. We love and need you!

4 likes

Thank you, I will have to research Barbara Johnson., sounds intriguing. Also thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. Blessings Jimeka 🦋 🤗 🌈

1 like

Jimeka: You are a positive influence on this group and I am sure with the people you see in person. Know you are loved by God and all of us. Please talk to your doctor and know you are in my abd others prayers 🙏.

4 likes

Thank you for your 🙏 and kind words, appreciated, blessings Jimeka 🦋 🤗

2 likes

jimeka you add so much to this site! This site wouldn’t be what it is w/o you!!! I totally believe that your family wouldn’t be what it is w/o you! You are one of the most encouraging and inspirational people I know! MS is one tough disease. It’s always changing (& never for the better) and we’re always forced to deal with a new normal. We are all totally amazing people!!! I know most of us feel that we’re more of a burden to our families than the productive individuals that we once were. I sometimes wonder if that’s part of God’s plan for all of us?. You are deeply loved by many❤️🙏

3 likes

Thank you Juleigh. I love your air balloons, have you ever been in one? I don’t know if I would be brave enough now. When we are having down days, knowing Gods plan would help, blessings Jimeka 🦋 🍫 🤗

2 likes

I’ve never been on one. I’m afraid of heights 😂 😆. I enjoy watching them float through the air. I hope you’re having a nice day! Praying for you jimeka 🙏

1 like

I have been in a hot air ballon it is an awesome feeling being up there passing over field and trees

I have been reading these posts and I know I have been dealing with depression and I haven’t been telling anyone. I just don’t know how to let it out I get stuck in this house day in and day out. My husband doesn’t think I should be driving any more so I have to depend on others for ride and we all know how that can go, not well. I do have to say I’ve not spoken to any one like this only you people. Things have to be done and they don’t get done. My sleeping pattern is gone I haven’t had a good night sleep in probably about two years I know that is not good. That is one thing that needs to be changed. I know that would help me more than anything. I do love my family but when your stuck in the house it really stinks. I use to go for yoga down Town but they have changed place to the school I use to work at but I will not go there because certain people basically took away my job oh that’s another thing I can’t talk about that because I had to sigh papers not to talk about. That is why when people say they have MS I say don’t tell work people you thought were your friends can turn on you so fast. You see I have a lot of things on my mind I know I need to let it go but easier said than done. Well I let that out. I hope you have a good day.

1 like

You may also like...