Dry Eyes Info

I am on Gilenya and at risk for macular edema. During my semi-annual visit with my ophthalmologist, I mentioned that my eyes were dry and I sometimes used lubricating eye drops as often as every 30 minutes. I had them with me and when he saw that they were a generic brand, he said that I shouldn't use them for than 4 times per day, due to the preservatives they contained. He recommended Systane and said that this brand could be used as often as needed. I forgot to ask if Systane is available as an Rx, as I've met my out-of-pocket for the year. erash Do you know?

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Iona60 systane is OTC. It's what we mostly wrote for patients in the nursing homes.

Interestingly, I just saw my neuro-ophthalmologist for the blurring I've been having. He said I had dry eyes because of the LASIK I had > 15 yrs ago???

I was glad there were no other abnormalities. He told me to use drops 3x a day and after a few weeks if no better he'd prescribe Xiidra. He had no preference on the lubricating drops. I'm using Blink but changing to Systane might be a good suggestion!

3 likes

Compared to generics, Systane is expensive, What else will Xiidra do?

3 likes

Xiidra is an alternative to Restasis (both are prescription) Xiidra supposedly fewer side effects, newer, likely $$$. Not sure I understand the pharmacodynamics, something with lymphocytes. Not just an eye moisturizer.

3 likes

I've been using Xiidra for 3 months now. It burns my eyes when I first use it and it also burns the back of my throat and leaves an odd taste in my mouth for a few hours after I first use it. My eyes are also quite red for awhile. I'm finding it difficult to squeeze the liquid out of the vial. The good news is that my eyes are a lot less dry and blurry than when I used restasis.

3 likes

Juleigh21

Great information. Thank you !

Those r the side effects listed for Xiidra, so I guess could be expected.

Any issues with insurance coverage?

1 like

erash The first month, the eye doc had a coupon, so I got it for free. A few weeks later, I received a letter telling me my insurance ok'd it. It's outrageously expensive of course.

2 likes

Re stasis is cyclosporine which was actually developed to prevent rejection of transplanted organs such as the liver. Quite accidentally they found out that it fostered tear production in dogs. We'll before Re stasis was on the market, I was giving it to one of my dogs. I am wondering if there is a generic cyclosporine eyedrop out there somewhere

1 like

Sukie427

Yes, Restasis = cyclosporine. I've had transplant patients on cyclosporine and that has made me concerned about Restasis but the % is much much less in the eye drops than what we use for transplant

Iona60

Amazon Systane 15ml $9

Cheaper than my current drops

2 likes

Found 30ml for $13.50 less a $3.00 coupon at Walmart.

Iona60 there's all different Systane's, I've learned. There are 2 varieties that are preservative free. They are single use ($$$) Be sure you get the preservative free! Loks like Systane Ultra (PF) is the better one). The Balance mentioned by someone, has preservatives in it

erash , thanks. I bought the cheap ones. I can't tell which ingredients are preservatives.

I've gotten them at Costco, Iona60. I hope they give you some relief. 💕

2 likes

Iona60 , I've used Systane for years. My ophthalmologist recommended it. If I can't find it I substitute GenTeal. I get the "severe" version, with an ointment for overnight use.

A pharmacist once told me you can put anything you want on a prescription. I believe that if you told your doctor you needed a prescription for Systane, you could get one.

4 likes

Thanks, I'll ask my neuro at my next visit.

3 likes

Awesome info! Something I have been dealing with and have been using visine 😁 👓

Iona60 n erash n Tutu n agate

J 🌠

2 likes

STOP the Visine Jesmcd2

It's a decongestant and not a good long term for eyes

4 likes

Systane is OTC and available in small travel sizes to put in your pocket.

2 likes

Systane balance, Refresh advance,or Soothe XP are recommended because they have more of an oil base, This helps keep the drops from evaporating.

If the drops burn, preservative-free artificial tears are recommended.

Remember, blinking creates tears. Computers, reading, driving you stare and your blink rate drops from 15x per minute to 5x.

We also advise omega 3.fish oil to help before prescribing Restasis or Xidra.

1 like

Thank you marktwinter I'm taking fish oil and have started the Systane regular. I'll look for Systane balance the next time.

Please do not use Visine! It is very bad for your eyes! Here at our Ophtholmalogy clinic we only recommend preservative free.

I will do a separate post to show the ones we recommend. I can't get it to add the picture and I don't want to re-type the whole list.

1 like

You may also like...