Left arm nerve pain

At the moment I am getting a lot of left arm nerve pain. It burns in my muscles, in my bicep, around my elbow, in my forearm and sometimes into my fingers. There is no heat externally but it feels as though it is on fire. When I walk around it's ok, but sitting and lying down makes it flare up. Any ideas anyone please? Thanking you in advance, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈 πŸ˜–

40 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • jimeka

So sorry to hear you are having more pain.

Obviously, it could be the MS ...or it could be a nerve entrapment from a mechanical source in the cervical spine or shoulder. Are you sitting or lying in a way that could be putting pressure on a nerve?

Do you take anything for neuropathy? Gabapentin? Lyrica?

Hope it resolves soon. Blessings!

• Hi Erash, thank you for replying. I do take lyrica but if I increase the amount I get too spaced out, so life is more enjoyable when my head is clear. I have researched it but if it it the ms and it's a lesion then there isn't much they can do. Hope you are feeling better, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka is it doing any better? It sort of reminds me of a pinched nerve😞 but like erash says could be MS? I would try keeping your arm straight and relaxed for a bit? See if that helps? But on not a Dr or a nurse😁 Whatcha think Liz?

J 🌠

• Thanks Jes, it comes and goes, I don't know what triggers it, πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• I understand totally jimeka

Lyrica made me a total zombie πŸ’€

• jimeka Sorry to read about your arm pain, I hope it is getting better. Is this something new? If so, perhaps a phone call to your neuro may be next?

• Hi lois52, unfortunately in the uk it's not so easy to contact your neurologist, you have to go through your doctor. It could take 3 months to get an answer, so that's why I tried here for suggestions first. Thanks for your reply, I find it so heart warming that the people on this forum really care, hope all is good at your end, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka I hope you are feeling better. And who can say anything better than erash ? I wonder also as I have intermittent numb hands. Is this MS or a pinched nerve? I have no idea. Neuro says MS as its not consistent, like not every time I move in a certain way. But who know?

• Hi Karen-x, the numb hands is no fun. My right hand is the one that's been numb a while so I have learnt to do a lot left handed, but now it's being attacked. I think I may do as Bill suggested and go see a chiropractor. They seem more qualified than the doctors. Hope you find a solution to yours, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka I had a massage recently, (my boys got it for my birthday), and was told that they have a chiropractor in their office that specializes in extremities, and that we also have a chiropractor in the area that specializes with neuological patients. I had only seen a chiropractor in the past who adjusted my back/neck so this was interesting to learn about.

• Sorry that you are in pain jimeka ! A call to neurologist is in order.

• Thanks Morllyn, I just hope it's not another disc, I have had 2 out already, I am going to be very short soon at this rate! Blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• I hope it is not a disc either! Take care sweet lady.

• Hi I've had this same problem for over 2 years and no pain killer has helped ' the only time my arms aren't sore is when my neck is numb 'I really hope you can get to the bottom of this ' if you can find something to help this please let me now as I'd be willing to try anything ' take care xx

• Thanks Shona68, like you pain killers don't do anything, and if you take too many you don't know what day it is. If I am blessed with a solution, I will be sure to share, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka, I'm sorry to hear about this pain. I agree that a call to the neurologist is a good idea. Keep us posted.

• Hi Erin, likewise with the pain issues. Is it a change in the weather, I have decided that maybe I should not question why, just to get on with it and grin and bare it. What do you think? I loved the roller coaster description, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• Good Morning jimeka (or good afternoon or good evening depending on what abnormal sleep cycle you're on like me!) :-/ I started typing a response to this earlier this am right after you posted it but it was too dark and I hit the wrong key and deleted everything grrrr! First, let me introduce myself--I am Tami, new here. I have the same symptoms you are having as well as many others--sometimes I think they should re-name this "multiple symptomosis" :-/ I am undiagnosed because I have no health insurance so no way to see a doctor. My BF's income disqualified me from Medicaid and I am currently unemployed. I have lost three jobs in the past year, fired for not being fast and efficient enough and dropping s*#t a lot.

I have almost constant burning tingling pain from my right shoulder down to my hands, which go numb quite frequently. That along with back and leg spasms keep me up at night. And the bed, oh the bed!! The bed we have is a king-sized waterbed with all the accessories: the drawers underneath, the tall headboard with shelves and mirrors, padded rails, the whole kit n kaboodle. He's had it since 1978 and won't get rid of it, but I can't sleep on it. It's too squishy and the ripple effect whenever one of us moves drives me freakin Nutz!! That along with the d@#n squeaky ceiling fan going full blast makes me wanna crawl up the wall!! So I end up coming out into the living room and sleeping in my recliner, with my arm raised up or stretched out in various cockeyed positions before I can finally try to fall asleep.

I hope you get some relief from your symptoms, and if you do PLEASE let me know what worked! I have been eating bottles of ibuprofen like candy and antacids as well. I also can't eat more than a few bites of food before I feel full and bloated. I hate this because I used to love to cook and eat, but now I dread it because it's more like a chore now. Of course, I get no support or sympathy from my BF, he thinks I am being lazy and just don't want to work or constantly cook and clean anymore. If he could only crawl inside my "effed up" body and feel what I feel then maybe he would understand. Well, nuf of this b**##ing bout me, please just know that I understand and am wishing you peace and comfort in your daily struggles with this confounded illness!! ((hugs)) Tami

• Bamfan1442, I'm sorry you are dealing with so many symptoms. You said you aren't diagnosed yet--did your previous doctor suggest you might have MS? Symptoms without a known cause can be quite frightening. And the pain jimeka speaks of sounds like a daily exercise in long-suffering. Is there a clinic or doctor you can see? I hope you don't have MS and instead have something treatable, but either way, you need to see someone. Below is the MSAA's helpline. They may be able to answer some questions or direct you to a care provider in your area:

800-532-7667, ext 154.

Wishing you hope and relief, Tami. πŸ’•

• Thank you, Tutu! I just posted my introduction so you will all get to know more about me and my circumstances regarding getting a diagnosis. Sorry, my brain fog wasn't clear enough to post the introduction first before I replied to this post, because then, of course, people would have more info about me!! My apologies :-(

• No need to apologize, especially to me! I make more brain boo-boos than I care to even think about. The upside? I've forgotten most of them! 😁 I look forward to reading your intro Bamfan1442 and getting to know you better.

• Thanks Tutu! :-)

• Hi Tami, Thankyou so much for replying. I am sorry but with me being from the uk I cannot help as regards medication, insurances or even doctors., but I am sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction. I hope that you find this forum as helpful as what I have. Everyone here is so friendly, helpful and caring, and no one judges you, you can share anything, ask anything, cry, laugh, you name it, they are a brilliant bunch of people. I will pray for you and your son, blessings Jimeka and also I will let you know if I find relief from the arm discomfort. πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• Thank you jimeka! I am looking into getting an appointment at my county health department clinic, but transportation is an issue. I just need to find a way there and back home. Thank you for your prayers, it's just really hard with Mother's Day coming soon and I have no way to get to see my son :-( I've never missed seeing him on that day, I have always had a car so we always hung out together and went out for dinner but I'm still hoping to figure out a way!

• Aw, Jimeka. So sorry to hear about your arm. Praying you've found some relief. Just wondering if it's a new stress related symptom. Trying times for you lately, plus the hospitalization. Hugs πŸ€— to you my friend. (I found 1 of my old latchooks😁)

• You may be right CalfeeChick. She's been on the go and let's face it, anything out of our ordinary 'schedule' can cause stress. Even a good kind of stress! Hope I didn't contribute to it @jimeka. πŸ’ž

• Oh, big time! If only everyday stress was so pleasurable. Blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈 🍫

• Hi CalfeeChick, have fun with the latch hook. How is the crocheting and knitting doing, you haven't posted any of your creations recently. I think once the celebration is over tomorrow life can resume to normal a bit, I hope. Keep us posted as to your new works, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• I am so happy for you girls. Didn't mean to say you caused any stress Tutu. I know what a pleasure and treat it is to spend time with you. Feel better soon Jimeka.

• I know you didn't, CalfeeChick. But I'm sure my visit did cause an upheaval and change to jimeka's regular schedule. We both enjoyed ourselves immensely, but also suffered some stress because of all the excitement. πŸ’•

• It must have been the burger πŸ” or the coffee β˜•οΈ!! πŸ¦‹ πŸ‘ 🌈 πŸ˜‚ Not forgetting the 🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

• Maybe we're suffering from withdrawal. πŸ˜‰ All I can say is this: whenever the opportunity allows, meet friends here in person!! What a blessing it is to meet over a cup of coffee, or a burger, or anything. I am so thankful for those of you here I've had the opportunity to spend time with both on the forum, over the phone, and in person. What a gift! 🎁 πŸ’

• @Jimeka , Most MD's will disagree with me, but I get relief from a chiropractic adjustment. Have you thought of this?

• Thanks for the reminder, I think I will give it a shot, blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka, I get a burning pain in my right leg which was just an annoyance for a while; as things have progressed it is sometimes very severe, to the point of being quite a distraction if I'm driving. I also get pain in my left arm, sometimes simultaneous with the leg pain, sometimes separate, which is more electric in nature. I can't say for sure if there is a connection but since I have been taking the Alpha Lipoic acid the pain is not quite as severe. The pain has always been sporadic so it may just be a coincidence.

I would not discount the value of chiropractic, as SueAB suggests. I see a chiropractor for back issues (related to muscle weakness in my lower back) and I practice yoga and I know these things help me function better. I my case most of my lesions are in my neck so that may be one reason those things work for me.

• Hi BillD99, how do you find the yoga and chiropractor helps with you having lesions in your neck? It was my chiropractor that discovered I needed my C5 out as it was severing my spinal cord. As you and SueAB suggested I will give mine a call. Thank you 😊 blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• jimeka, Well in my experience a healthy and flexible spine is generally a good thing in dealing with MS, especially with the tightness & stiffness. My chiropractor describes what he does as maintaining movement in the joints. Regarding pain, there are times when a sudden movement in my neck, specifically looking straight downward, coincides with a sudden stab of pain. I attribute this to the lesions in my neck, and I do exercises to keep the neck flexible. I also try not to look downward suddenly.

• Thank you BillD999, I have thought about yoga but it would have to be done by DVD in my own home, as I don't drive into town anymore. I did have a look on Amazon and they do do one just for ms, so I might give it a whirl. πŸ¦‹ 🌈

• Jimeka, it's Fancy1959. Is there any swelling around your wrist or in your forearm or hands? Have you been out in the sun a lot lately? And are you on any antibiotic or any new medication. Last stupid question is have you changed either your clothes detergent, fabric softener, or your bath products? You could be experiencing some kind of heat intolerance. Antibiotics are often associated with heat sensitivity and can create it to the max. So try staying out of the sun and see if that helps. If my wrists, fingers, arms swell, I know it's time to get more exercise to help blood circulation increase. Something as simple as a change in your laundry or bath products can cause allergic reactions too sensitive areas on your body. The only part of the problem I do not understand is why it gets worse when you sit or lay down. There I would have to agree with Jess that perhaps is a pinched nerve and you're sitting puts pressure on it. I pray that someone has a correct answer for you so your pain decreases. Take care of yourself you like to see if that helps with the pain in the heat in your arms and hands.

• Thank you Fancy1959, but I have no swelling, haven't changed my laundry powder, or shower soap, and I haven't been out in the sun, or tried any new medications. I just have a burning sensation all the way down my left arm and I know it is nerve related because of how it feels. I am going to give the chiropractor a call . Thanks again blessings Jimeka πŸ¦‹ 🌈

You may also like...