My MSAA Community
3,154 members5,528 posts

Backyard wildlife - Red-bellied Woodpecker

Backyard wildlife - Red-bellied Woodpecker

Captured this last night. He was pecking on our palm tree. I threatened my husband not to chase him (or is it a her Morllyn ) off while I ran in for the camera. Luckily, he stayed and I was able to snap this great pic. Let's name him. He's here daily.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I vote Handsome. You certainly have captured his good side, thank you blessings Jimeka 🦋 🌈

5 likes

Iona60 and jimeka

He def. is handsome!

My first thought was Woody...not very original 😊

5 likes

Great shot, Iona60! How about Rudy. Ruby would be too feminine for a handsome guy like him.

2 likes

Rudy sounds great, unless we determine it's a girl, then she will be Ruby

4 likes

Must be time for the red-bellied woodpeckers. I saw one on the feeder yesterday and was so amazed by how bright his/her head is! I vote for Rudy/Ruby.

4 likes

jennie62 I always thought this was called a red-headed woodpecker until I Googled it. Have you noticed any red belly on your woodpeckers?

3 likes

No red bellies here. Well, unless it was when we were young(er) and smacked the bellies of a cousin/brother etc. hahaha.

I was told by my dad that the Red-belly (why it's called that???) has a red mark on its head. I always thought the same as you. I thought it was the model for the cartoon Woody the Woodpecker, boy did I find out how wrong I am!

3 likes

Looks like a female Iona60

3 likes

Morllyn How can you tell?

At my last home, I was visited by a flicker every year around spring time. He would wake me every day at daylight by pecking at the metal flashing around a vent in my roof. This activity would last about a month to 6 weeks and then it would stop until the next spring.

I would sometimes bang on my bedroom window to get him to stop so I could go back to sleep. He would fly away to the greenbelt behind my yard and then would wait for my window blinds to drop and then come back to annoy me all over again.

Now that I don't live there any more, I have to admit I miss this spring time ritual!

4 likes

That is called "hammering " and is either trying to entice a mate or scare off a rival.

2 likes

Beautiful.

1 like

I gotta go with Woody, too. I just watched the movie Woody woodpecker on Netflix and it was adorable

1 like

You may also like...