Biotin and Vitamin D

Your song Gaslight did the trick. My original neurologist is back. Unfortunately she suffered Brest cancer and returned to India to recuperate but she is now back in full swing. She remembered me so the visit was good. She answered all my questions, hiding nothing. Before I explain please check with your own doctors before you try anything. I am very sensitive to drugs and I only need small amounts for them to work. She advised me to take vitamin D everyday. I explained that I take only 1000 iu and she said as long as I am taking that amount daily not to increase it as my body is now used to having that every day. She recommended that I take a wide selection of the vitamin B's and c but to do it in moderation. Not the same everyday but to stagger it over the week so my body would not go into overdrive or anything. She said it would be more natural for me being so sensitive. She also recommended biotin but to introduce it slowly and build it up so that my body had chance to get used to it, less chance of any side affects. She said now that I have had a hysterectomy to cut down on the iron but because of the RLS I had to keep an eye on my ferritin levels. She had been to a ms conference in Canada on vitamin D, but she stressed that everyone's body is different. She said if she could recommend anything to me, that it would be a totally organic diet, but she realises how hard it is now adays. Hoping that this information is of use to some of you. By the way I have PPMS, so hopefully overtime the biotin and vitamin D may help slow down the progression. Blessings Jimeka

23 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • jimeka so glad you have your neuro that you have a good rapport with.

Thought you might want to know, biotin can interfere with thyroid labs (not with thyroid function). Endocrinologists recommend simply stopping the biotin 48 hrs prior to getting your labs drawn if thyroid function is going to be checked. Also, this is a more likely effect of high dose biotin.

I take Tegretol for my trigeminal neuralgia. Tegretol depletes biotin but taking added biotin interferes with Tegretol 's effectiveness. Not sure if interferes with other meds but might want to check on meds like gabapentin, Lyrica, or meds for RLS

Probably TMI. Again glad it sounds like you had a good appt.

• Thanks for the info Erash, I will check with my doctor, blessings Jimeka

• So glad to hear that the appointment went well, jimeka, and that you've also reconnected with your familiar neurologist.

I'm already organic (as much as circumstance permits), and taking 50,000 D3 once per week.

I'll let y'all know what my neurologist advises concerning biotin-- I fully expect that it will be similar to what you were just told.

I suggest that we call this one a very good day . πŸ‘

-- Christopher

• It was a good day Christopher, I wait in anticipation of what your neurologist says as regards biotin. Hope you are feeling a tad better, blessings Jimeka

• Liking your neurologist and having confidence in her is a blessing jimeka. I am happy to hear your appt went well.

I would be confused with all the different supplements on various days, though. It'sa good thing Jesmcd2 is working on that spreadsheet. I'd have to ask her to add that info to my line. πŸ˜‚

• No problem as every Monday I fill my pill box for the week, that way I know if I have forgotten to take any, these spreadsheets seem to be in fashion, can you get purple ones with butterflies on them? Blessings Jimeka

• I'm sure Jesmcd2 can do that! 😁

• Ummm πŸ˜• Tutu l gave that job to you! And jimeka ? No. πŸ˜… Here's 🍫 instead. Ask my girls, l AM not above bribery!πŸ˜…

• πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Yipee! So glad your former neuro is back. It is so hard to go to a new neuro.

• Yes, hopefully all the time, she is so nice and she listens, blessings Jimeka

• I take 35,000 iu of D3 a week. And now I have heard enough chatter about biotin so I need to research.

• Let us know what you find out. Apparently it's good for SPMS as well, fatigue been the major perk, I live in hope, blessings Jimeka

• jimeka Good Luck at your appointment! πŸ˜• πŸ˜… I'm so glad that your old Neurologists is back! And that she is doing well!☺

Sounds like your appointment went really well for you! And good information she gave you. Although I still don't know what biotin does for the body. Except it's good for hair and nails? That's what the commercial says anyway.

Ummm Tutu ? (Whispering) l thought you were doing the spreadsheet? πŸ‘ˆ

• Like I said to tutu, are spreadsheets the latest fashion for ms? Blessings Jimeka

• jimeka, I've teased about needing a spreadsheet since finding this forum so I could keep everyone straight. Jesmcd2 has too. 😁 I figured a spreadsheet would be my 'cheat sheet' to help me remember where everyone is from, if they have kids, what MS symptoms they struggle with, etc. I just mess up too much trying to keep it all in my head. I started an Excel spreadsheet (seriously!) some time ago. But I've had a hard time organizing my thoughts. I've changed the rows and columns I don't know how many times! πŸ™„ I think Jes and I are in a race to see who finishes a spreadsheet first. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

• jimeka a spreadsheet are columns, that you can label and create, on your tablet, iPad, PC and so on. To keep basic notes on friends ☺ You can d/l it then fill it in. Like yours would have a heading of ~Jimeka Sue~ then under it 2 grds 1grdd then under that white water rafting, being in the sun and so on.

Tutu l think your slacking πŸ˜…πŸ’• considering l didn't even do 1! You guys have to understand, when l 1st started here it was all done by phone!πŸ˜…πŸŒ 

• So glad you had a great visit with her. It's so reassuring to know your doc really cares about you!. Thank you for sharing all the great information.

• I hope it can help someone. I have learnt so much from others on here. How is the knitting/crocheting going? Blessings Jimeka

• Let's see, the last 12 days I've made a pair of slippers, a pair of booties & I'm above half done with matching blankie. (In addition to trip to UCSF MS Clinic, new med, blood tests, appt. with new GP and a mammogram.) 😊😊Blessings back at youπŸ™

• You are a real trooper Lynn, nothing is going to stop you, keep going girl. I hope the mammogram was ok πŸ‘Œ hugs Jimeka

• Jimeka it's Fancy1959. I've taken 10,000 ng of biotin a day for years. The biggest result I see from it is my hair grows really quickly. Unfortunately my MS continues to slide down that slippery sloap. I'm so glad the neurologist you have a good rapport with is back. I'm having issues with mine. 🀐 It's no fun to have one that isn't up to snuff. Fancy😲😧😩

• Good morning Fancy1959, you are obviously not having a very good night again, I am sorry for the turmoil you are going through, but at least you continue to fight. I think I am going to wait to see what Gaslight's neurologist has to say as you Americans are a bit in front of us here in the uk, as regards the biotin. I am not basing decision on what Gaslights neurologist says I just want as much info before I indulge in yet another ms fad. You can get severe headaches with biotin so I have read which I don't need right now, so I am going to wait, in the meantime continue to eat my broccoli, blessings Jimeka

You may also like...