Improve MS by playing video games

Interesting article.... My husband is going nuts. He is a gaming freak.

belmarrahealth.com/multiple...

Multiple sclerosis patients can improve brain connections using video game therapy. The researchers suggest video game therapy can help strengthen neural connections. Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease that affects the central nervous system. Patients may experience brain fog, muscle weakness, and difficulty thinking.

When the thalamus – a structure that works as the brain’s information hub – gets damaged, it impacts the cognitive dysfunction in multiple sclerosis.

The researchers studied the effects of video game-based cognitive rehabilitation program on the thalamus in MS patients. The program was based on a collection of games from Nintendo, which used puzzles, word memory, and other mental challenges.

Twenty-four multiple sclerosis patients with cognitive impairment were randomly assigned to either an eight-week at-home rehabilitation with 30 minutes of gaming five times a week, or to a wait list (serving as controls). The patients were evaluated with cognitive tests and by 3-Tesla resting state functional MRI (RS-fMRI) at baseline and again after the eight weeks.

Skip

Promoted Content

Get email updates from MSAA

MS news, local educational events, vital programs & services

Subscribe now

Promoted by My MSAA Community

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • That is really interesting, thank you so much for sharing. I have read in quite a few articles that gaming is good for hand eye coordination.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

You may also like...