MY SKIN
4,871 members1,158 posts

Ruined underarms. So upset... Please help :(

Ruined underarms. So upset... Please help :(

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I was hoping I could get some help. I'm a 22 year old female and I have always been insecure about my underarms. I always used to shave them but noone taught me how to do it when I was younger, how it's possible to cut yourself, etc. So I happened to cut myself about two times on each underarm years ago. My underarms have these very deep lines etched into the skin... I wonder if it's because of that?

My second question, and the issue I currently face is that I waxed my underarms a few days ago.... I started waxing them a few months ago (with wax strips), I had never waxed them before. I saw a few tutorials and decided to do it. I used wax strips. The first time was great cuz my skin was so smooth and all the hair came off. I was so happy and I felt more confident about them. The pictures on top are the ones I took on that day. However, a few days ago, I decided to wax it again. The waxing went (again, I used wax strips) just fine. All the hair came off easily and I felt no pain whatsoever when doing it (other than the usual hair-pulling pain of waxing ofc). Other than that, there was no pain. But when I was done and went out, I felt a burning sensation in my pits. It grew and for 2 days or so they felt sore. The skin was rough and it felt like it had sort of come off. Today when I was taking a shower I noticed that they have become noticeably darker (a dark brown, blackish type of colour). I got so upset. I had finally gained confidence just a few months ago when I waxed them and now they're ruined. I feel like crying. I don't know why this happened. I put oil on it. The bottom pictures are the ones I took now, they look shiny cuz of the oil I applied.

I hate this. I only wanted smooth, flawless underarms and I had them (except the deep lines), but now they're ruined. I hate how everything bad happens to me. What can I do to fix this? Can it be fixed? Please, please help me.

*The above two pics are of both pits when I first waxed them. The bottom two are of both pits today after I ruined them.*

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, I hope its ok replying to you (I'm a guy of 64! I was a charge nurse in A&E a very long time ago.)

You dont need to worry about this. It is normal to have those sorts of lines under your arms. They are not scar lines from were you cut yourself, of that I am certain.

In the absence of better advice, I would just let the skin heal naturally. Keep it dry, loose tops etc.

Skin often flares up after being irritated by shaving waxing etc.

Its just not the most attractive place of any ones body.

I know its easier said than done but try not to focus to much on it.

You are worth an awfully lot more as a person than what your underarms look like.

Best wishes for the future, muirbabe

ps If you continue worrying or it doesnt settle down ask your doctor or nurse or close female friend to look.

2 likes

Ofcourse it's ok to reply, why not :) Thank you so much for the advice! It's just that this issue is really worrying me now. I can't concentrate on anything else. I just hope it gets better soon.

I promise you, it will get better, give it a few days or a week or so.

Try and leave it alone and I think it will heal by itself.

As I said earlier the skin can become inflamed when irritated with, shaving, waxing etc especially when its not used to it.

Young mens faces sometimes flare up when they start shaving, I know mine did!

The skin is very sensitive but heals up well as a rule.

Can you talk to your doctor or a close friend or relative?

best wishes, muirnabe

ps you will get through this and be ok.

1 like

Ok thank you :) :)

1 like

And can I ask something? Those lines which I was talking about don't look that prominent in this picture, but they're actually very prominent and embedded deep in the skin, like little folds and when I bend my arms the folds become more visible. That's not because I cut myself from shaving?

1 like

No, they are definitely not scars from shaving. Absolutely not.

I believe they are normal skin fold lines that you would expect to find under your arms.

Yes, they are normally quite deep and will become more visible as you bend your shoulder.

You will be okay and will get through this.

best wishes, muirbabe

1 like

Hi, I should have thought to check with you that your general health is ok? Not diabetic?

I am just being ultra cautious here to be on the safe side!

I dont think there is anything to worry about but if it puts your mind at rest speak to your doctor or nurse.

By all means ask any other questions.

best wishes, muirbabe

No, I am not diabetec. And yes, my overall health is just fine :) I'll see if this thing heals with time, if not then I'll ask again. Thanks :)

1 like

Hi, thats good to hear. With that in mind I think it will settle down fine in next week or so.

1 like

Sweetheart I believe they could be bruising based on what you have said. It is practically impossible to wax your own underarms as you cannot make your own skin taunt enough. I am sure you are a lovely young woman, please be kinder to yourself beauty is reslly only skin deep and a happy soul will see you through this wonderful life.

1 like

Thank you :) Yes I try to not focus on the outer appearance that much because it is only the inner one that matters. But in today's world where everyone tells you your flaws and mentions only your insecurities and weak points to you and compares you with other people, it's hard to not be conscious...

Anyway, thanks :)

1 like

hello it couls be just bruising with the pulling off the wax I have had bruising even with a professional doing it.. I have stopped waxing and use hair removal cream for sensitive skin gives very good results and painless suggestion? give your arm pits a rest for a couple of weeks wear something that wlll cover them up in the meantime it will be worth it . as for the lines perhaps the rest will help that too . use a non perfumed moisturiser as well for the couple of weeks under your arms they just need a rest I think hope it work it did for me.

1 like

Thank you :) So you just left your bruise alone and moisturised it for some time and it healed on its own? How long did it take to heal?

if they are bruises they take different times to heal on different people try not to worry too much. waxing can leave red marks and/ or bruising as you are pulling the hair out deeper than just shaving it off. don't use any hair remover for as long as you can stand it .wear something to hide your underarms. they need some TLC . moisturise with unperfumed cream and the skin will be replenished . the skin is thin there so should be treated kindly. then i suggest ... try hair removing cream for sensitive skin next time and see how you get on ?? its gentler but FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS . i use this and its great lasts quite a while too. and gentler good luck and learn from any mistake i've made plenty

1 like

Btw may I ask which hair removal cream you use? Because when I used it then the hair grew back within 2 or 3 days... and I've heard these creams darken the skin too... =/

You may also like...