My OCD Community
684 members374 posts

Terrible anxiety

I’ve had such terrible anxiety and guilt lately. I’ve been feeling terrible nausea, and horrible images and thoughts just replay over and over in my head, especially around evening/night time and when I try and go to bed. Does this happen to anyone else or keep anyone else awake? Or is the anxiety and guilt of the thoughts so bad it causes nausea and lack of appetite? I eat in the morning but haven’t had an appetite at night. I just wish this anxiety and OCD thoughts/intrusive thoughts would go away!!! I’m like losing my mind it feels like! I want to just give up, I can’t live on like this. How do you all do it?

20 Replies
oldestnewest

I've been like you lately. Night time is really bad for me as well. The thoughts used to give me nausea and loss of appetite, but now they don't. I feel like I'm losing my mind too. I honestly don't see why I shouldn't give up. I really thought I was stronger than this, Alexis. I'm sorry I haven't been very positive. I'm not doing so good right now. Just know that you are not alone.

2 likes

It’s 2 AM (almost) where I live and I’m kept awake. For the last couple of nights I’ve had nausea and no appetite. I’ve eaten during the day, but nothing in the evening or before bed, tonight’s the worst my nausea has been. I also went to the ER, to treat some kind of stone (in the salvia under my chin) and they just sent me off with pain medicine and antibiotic. But tonight’s been very bad for me too. I just want to be better, not only for myself but for my boyfriend and family. I’ve acted fine lately, and seem fine but I’m just not. OCD is a horrible disease, especially when the intrusive thoughts come with it, along with images; resulting in guilt/shame and terribly anxiety. You can talk to me anytime you want, and know you’re not alone either. I hope we both can get through this, and someday look back and see how far we’ve come.

1 like

I agree that OCD is a terrible disease.

2 likes

Thank you Alexis!💗 I struggle with harm and sexually intrusive thoughts. My mind keeps telling me that I want to do them(I don't!). It tells me these things all day. This isn't who I am. When I first started getting the thoughts, I didn't know it was ocd. I tried so hard to think of something else, but the thoughts kept stronger and worse. I am a Christian, so I thought it was a spiritual battle. I prayed to Jesus. I tried so hard. I started doing some research online to see if anyone else struggled with these unwanted thoughts. I then knew that it had to be ocd.

1 like

Mine are sexually intrusive too, mine are terrible, as it’s POCD (towards children/pedophile OCD) and I’ve had thoughts regarding my own boyfriends little brother, which is where the guilt as stemmed from. Now the anxiety of images and thoughts has taken over. I just keep replaying the thoughts and images, and they won’t stop. I feel like I’m obsessing over my anxiety now too, so the anxiety is 10x worse now also. It’s horrible.

1 like

I've definitely been there. I will be praying for you.🙏

I’m so sorry I’ve had all this as well😓 I know and feel your pain. You have a brain disorder- it’s not you it’s ocd. Do you have an ocd therapist?? For me, SSRI, and my ocd trained therapist have made all the difference. Doing erp. It really works. You can and will get better!!

Don’t fight the thoughts. Look in IOCDF’s website for really good articles. God Bless- He loves you and understands!!🙏🙏💝

1 like

I scheduled a doctor appointment with my PCP (primary care) for Wednesday, for anxiety and nausea. Are there any meds you’d recommend that would subdue the OCD/anxiety?

So glad you have an appointment!! It takes courage to get help. Your doctor will be able to know which meds work well. It takes awhile for the SSRI to work- give it time. Also, fresh air and exercise help greatly. Also, eating healthy. I know it’s hard when you’re anxious and nauseous-been there!! I drink a smoothie- you can sip it and get some good nutrition.

1 like

What is an SSRI? Is that something for mood or anxiety? Should I talk and ask if I can be prescribed something to boost mood also? I’ve been taking nausea medicine and eating, so I’ve gotten over this hump at least!

SSRI just stands for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Just a class of drugs (commonly known as antidepressant). There are numerous types I.e. Prozac, setraline, etc. Just the general name used for these kinds of drugs 😊

1 like

What Disney and me said💖 they help with serotonin which regulates our mood

1 like

Happens to the best of this! At my worst I was hardly eating because of all the guilt and I felt that I didn’t deserve a meal. But just remind yourself of this - you do not have control over your thoughts and they are just thoughts. They mean absolutely nothing and OCD is just trying to taunt you. Even people without OCD have intrusive thoughts, but the problem with people like me and you is that we choose to give them power at times. You deserve so much better than OCD! Tell it to go fuck off! (Pardon my language) 😊

You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are so brave to be battling this. OCD lies. Always. Don’t give up and let it win. Stay strong! If the thoughts keep replaying then try not to engage with them. Sing a song in your head or count backwards or try watching a show or doing a puzzle. You got this girl!!!

1 like

I totally agree, I just can’t wait for the day that I BEAT OCD!! How do you deal with the anxiety and constant thoughts/images? Have you ever been on meds? Hopefully my regular doctor will be able to prescribe something to help! I was on Sentraline years back for anxiety, but it didn’t seem to help with the guilt/anxiety at all, but this time I’ve actually NOT done anything to feel guilt over, my anxiety is just playing with my head and won’t let me out of its grasps! So tiring

1 like

I have been on Sertraline for about 10 years and have had great luck with it, but Sertraline is not a fast acting drug. It takes about 4-6 weeks to build up and see a difference in your overall anxiety. When I’m having a hard time I take Klonopin alongside my Sertraline which is not an SSRI but more of a muscle relaxer. For some it can make them very drowsy, but if you take the appropriate dose you get instant relief in about 30 minutes. But again, Klonopin is not a fix for anxiety and can be addictive for some. I simply use it as a tool to give me some relief from the thoughts and anxiety so that I can do my ERP, which does more for me than any medication can. I would definitely encourage you to talk to your doctor about medication because it can be extremely helpful. When it comes to the constant thoughts I’m just at a place now where I don’t give them power and don’t engage with them. If you do, then you’re only reinforcing that they are meaningful and your OCD will continue to produce them. I know it’s hard but I try to just observe the thought and then let it go. Hope this helps!

1 like

Hi Alexis! I know you've been trying to be your own therapist and it's always great to do your own research, but I still definitely suggest going to an OCD therapist. There's just certain things I feel us OCD sufferers need guidance with from a trained therapist. I was against therapy at one point and wanted to just do the treatment on my own, but it was too overwhelming to keep myself on track. Medication helps calm you (I don't personally take medication), but it's been proven that ERP is the most important aspect in OCD recovery. Medication can help you learn and implement ERP better, but it won't fix everything itself or make the thoughts go away. Those of us with OCD need to learn how to change our behavior and reaction to the thoughts. Please consider going, and don't let the fear of all of the "what ifs" hold you back from seeing a therapist. There's no harm in trying out a session or 2.

1 like

I actually emailed a few therapists, so I’m waiting to hear back to schedule a session! But the first step for me is definitely medication. I’ve seen my primary doctor for anxiety meds before, so I’m hoping they will help until I can get the therapy sessions! It’s just the anxiety and guilt that’s bothering me most now. I’ve been trying to accept the thoughts, sometimes they’re a bit overbearing, but some days are better than others too. I’m hoping the meds, and hopefully finding the right therapist soon will help! This community definitely has helped tremendously as well, with all the advice and warm words. I couldn’t thank everyone enough!

1 like

Glad to hear! My anxiety was exactly like you explained in this post at one point, and it lasted for months. Trust me that it gets better, and OCD gets (dare I say) easier once you have the knowledge/tools a therapist can give you. I obviously can't comment on medication from personal experience, but have read/heard numerous times from professionals that it definitely isn't a fix-all, so I'm glad you've reached out to a few therapists. My guess is that the anxiety you're feeling stems from the guilt, which comes from responding to intrusive thoughts incorrectly and giving them importance (and engaging in compulsions). ERP will teach you how irrelevant these thoughts really are which will get rid of your guilt and ease your anxiety. I love this community as well and it's definitely one of the biggest reasons I'm doing better than I was 😊 my app froze for a few days and I panicked, haha.

2 likes

I can't believe your app was "Frozen"!!!

2 likes

Me either! It took me a few days to notice. I was like hmmm why is no one posting anything?! And then I went to my profile and I only had two posts and I panicked haha

1 like

You may also like...