MPN Voice
3,481 members5,187 posts

Something for nausea

Has anyone tried Holland & Barrett Mild Ginger Gems for nausea? I am getting intermittent nausea so dont want to take medication just want something to deal with it as and when it happens. Tried Ginger cordial yuk, yuk, yuk. Getting a sore mouth from ginger biscuits as they are hard and a little too spicy for my palate. Don't particularly want ginger cake, too filling and I cant eat as much as I used to. Any suggestions for something to take when nausea strikes? preferably something I can carry in my handbag.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi. I have a few ideas. One is a seasickness wrist band you can keep in your purse. A number of chemo patients find them helpful. I carry small cans of ginger ale which work really well for me. I’ve not had success with candies or wrist bands. Good luck, I hope you find something that helps. Katie

1 like

I found peppermint tea worked for me but not something which is immediately available when out and about.

I'm afraid I'm not one for peppermint , ginger or any kind of fruit and herbal teas. Have tried them in the past but cant stomach them. Cant even stand normal tea. Feel sick just thinking about them. I think it stems from having been brought up in a house of constant tea drinking, likewise my parents were heavy smokers and that too is something I cant abide.

A family member also suggested wristbands. She also said I could try applying pressure to the pressure points on the wrist which makes good sense but first I need to learn exactly where they are. I will google it later.

Hello

Are you on HU? My consultant prescribed anti-sickness tablets when I was diagnosed. I know you're reluctant to take tablets, but they work immediately. I've only ever had to take about 3 in 2 years.

1 like

I'm on a low dose of 3 tablets a week taken Mon, Wed, Fri which I take early evening. The nausea is intermittent, but not immediately after taking the HU more around tea time or breakfast. Do you only take the anti sickness tablets when you feel the nausea? I had been under the impression it was something to be taken all the time to prevent it occurring. If they are only taken as and when needed I will ask about them at my next routine appointment.

I take 1,000mgs daily 5 days a week and 2,000mgs daily at weekends, so I'm on a very high dose. It's very rare I feel sick, and it only occurs if I do not take them the same time every evening or I leave it too long in between meals. I have 6 small meals a day (including snacks) so I'm never hungry. I take my HU with my evening meal. Yes, I only take the anti-sickness tablets if I feel nauseous, I do not take them all the time or every time I take my HU as they do not make me feel sick, even with my high dose. My consultant prescribed the tablets the day I was put on my chemo. I would ask your consultant for some tablets. They are very good and dismiss the nausea very quickly.

1 like

Thank you so much, that has been extremely helpful. Now that I know they can just be taken when the nausea strikes and that they work quickly I will definitely ask about them at my next appointment.

1 like

Hi I have a found a gum that is called Sea Band sold in the pharmacies over the counter, works wonders for nausea. It is all natural ginger gum. It is used for nausea and chemo nausea. I love it and never leave without it. Hope this helps, also a lot of MD's recommend ginger for nausea.

2 likes

Now that gum sounds promising. Thanks for that.

I've never heard of that. Do you need a prescription for this gum or can you just buy over the counter?

No prescription it is sold over the counter. Nothing but all natural ginger gum, it is called seaband. A former cancer patient I knew said it was the only thing that helped her. The prescription medicine makes me too drowsy. I give this gum to my 95 year old mother. I use it a lot and Doctors recommend ginger for nausea. It is sold in the nausea section at pharmacies over the counter. google it and you will see a picture of it.

1 like

Thank you very much. I have a phobia of vomiting anyway so get very panicked/anxious if and when I do feel nauseous. I'll definitely look into that.

Where can this gum be bought in the UK? I've looked online at all the major chemists and health food shops. The only place I can seem to find it is Amazon and Ebay neither of which I trust not to sell fake products.

My doctor prescribed 4 mg tablets of Ondansetron for nausea. I only take them as needed, and they work really well. This is in the US, so not sure if available in Europe. Good luck.

It is available in the Britain it is available on prescription only as is Domperidone and also Metrocloprimide all prescribed for Nausea due to Chemotherapy first one is taken three times a day half hour to an hour before food

best wishes

stevengeorge

Well today I bought a selection of ginger products from Holland and barret. The mild ginger gems taste of washing powder, not at all nice. Dark chocolate coated ginger, very nice. Gin. Gins, really nice but expensive for the few in the pack.

I also recommend all butter and stem ginger cookies from lidl and aldi.

Well I can report that after filling my cupboards with lots of ginger products (some good, some disgusting), buying seaband wristbands (not cheap), getting anti sickness tablets. The nausea disappeared of its own accord. Yaayy. The vile ginger cordial went straight down the plughole !!!

You may also like...