Why so much water? : Having read several posts on... - MPN Voice

MPN Voice
4,519 members6,154 posts

Why so much water?

Having read several posts on here, I can't help but notice how everyone keeps going on about drinking lots of water. Why? None of the health professionals I've seen have told me to drink more water.

17 Replies
oldestnewest

When I was admitted into hospital in January I was on a saline drip, at least 2 litres a day and my hct fell

Its not been below 0.4 for a long time... So fluid intake may be the answer..

4 likes

From what I’ve been told it thins the blood keeping your body is the most important thing in this disease. It also helps with all your kidneys helps flush toxins out of your body. With your body’s organs being compromised because of your thick blood the water helps this

Hope this helps I feel so much better when I drink 4-5 litres a. Day.

Cheers

5 likes

prefer mine with fermented grape juice. lots of it.

8 likes

Ha Ha

Have seen a number of Drs over the years.. as well as haemotology. They all say..drink plenty of water.. keep hydrated.. one of the first things they tell to you to do.. maybe I'm missing something .. . It is healthy to drink plenty of water. Just an observation.

1 like

As I say none of the Drs or nurses I've seen so far told me to drink more water, but its something I've always done anyway. I never go anywhere without a drink in my handbag. I even take a bottle outside when I'm gardening.

1 like

I agree it is keeping the body hydrated which the most important thing.

Also, even when all the numbers are good, our blood is still sticky. 😊

Yes it helps the actual blood to keep well hydrated - also some of the treatments like Hydrea need the extra fluid as you tend to dehydrate more quickly than an average person - to be honest too it's the experience of many of us over the years that keeping up lots of water intake works - it helps with the dizziness foggy head feeling - I had to learn the hard way years back when I was diagnosed as didn't have access to wonderful things like this site then and once discovered the benefits of water water water it is then the first thing you want to share with new patients as it helps so much and hence why you will find many of us saying lots of water!! I always have a little wate bottle with me anywhere and keep up the sips of it to always keep ahead of being dehydrated and trust me I have been doing it for years and it does make a huge difference!! 😀😀

3 likes

Yes I too never go anywhere without a drink of some sort. when I'm gardening I fill a bottle with tap water. Always finding bottles dotted around the garden where I've forgotten to take them in afterwards. As you said this is something I've done for years anyway, but nevertheless I feel a bit let down that none of the health professionals informed me I should drink more.

I agree.

I was told to drink plenty of water when I started on Hydroxycarbamide 13 years ago to help with flushing any toxins from the body.

I also drink quite a lot of water before I am due to have a blood test as I have quite small veins and it is sometimes difficult for the nurse to get a vein up. Some nurses are better than others but by drinking water I am helping them and myself of course.

Judith

1 like

I know what you mean about some nurses being better than others. I always seem to come home with both arms punctured after the first attempt fails. Have they told you that drinking water beforehand plumps up the veins? Wouldn't drinking a lot before a blood test give misleading results?

2 likes

Hi like you i wasnt told by my consultant to drink lots water ! i do and also cups of tea too, however my last blood tests showed im low on salt ! so it crossed my mind whether im drinking too much fluids ? but i agree it does flush toxins out ect . so i been told to up my salt intake but i just asked my gp fir interim renal test to make sure im not overdoing the salt being as i also have bp and hear issues also best wishes Holly

1 like

Hi

Sadly 99% of the medics I've ever met seem to think that the only things that we put in our mouths that have a bearing on our health, are some sort of pill prescribed by them.

Trial and error over eight years tells me that my blood counts are far far better if I stay well hydrated ( I can drink a litre of water and not need to go to the loo so it must be going somewhere!) take regular exercise and cut all rubbish, and processed and packeted food from my diet.

I don't care too much what the doctors think, I know it works for me.

Which says it all really.

2-3 litres water every 24 hours.

x

1 like

What they said, and because I feel horrible if I don't. Kidneys, arthritis, spleen, and my skin all let me know right quick if I've been lax on the eater intake.

Me, I drink enough water that my urine stays pale, rather than a fixed amount.

1 like

I was told to drink plenty of fluids to thin the blood and to flush any excess chemo from my body and toxins.

You may also like...