Worst day of the year…: …to be lonely... - Mental Health Sup...

Mental Health Support
24,394 members14,412 posts

Worst day of the year…

Mhatso
Mhatso
23 Replies

…to be lonely. 😕.

23 Replies
oldestnewest
kenster1

hi you don't need to be alone you have us on here.

2 likes
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to kenster1

Thank you.

hippolove1

Hey Mhatso..ur not alone..im here.

1 like
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to hippolove1

Thank you.

hippolove1
hippolove1
in reply to Mhatso

Ur very welcome.

1 like
En1234

Hi Mhatso,

Please don't feel lonely or alone. Its just New Year and it is soooooo over-rated (just like Christmas) I cant help thinking that even if your not alone, its not "great fun"!! Forced joviality, spending time with people, not because you want to but because you feel you have to, and don't get me started on the Christmas TV advertisements that last for 20 minutes at a time showing wonderful, happy families and having everyone believe that this is how it is "supposed" to be when in actual fact the reality is somewhat different!!

I switch my phone off every New Year's Eve as I am usually asleep and miss the bells and everything and cant be bothered with all the daft text messages that people send when they have too much to drink. I go to bed and watch a good movie with a cup of tea and some chocolate and I have loads of family I could get involved with but I choose not to because I "just cant be bothered". I look forward to getting up on first morning of the New Year feeling fresh, not hung over...Not a good start. MY idea of New Year is probably dead boring but its how I like it!! .. I prefer to be on my own, in fact I look forward to it. The only thing I worry about is my son (if he is out - not even sure if he is going out this year), and I hope he gets home in one piece and that no-one attacks him or worse, but that is just a mother's worry!!

If you lived closer to me I would invite you over, but please don't think it is unusual to be on your own at this time. I'll bet some folk who will be getting ready for parties tonight would just love to close the curtains, turn out the lights, watch something good on telly (or curl up with a good book), eat chocolate and drink tea/coffee, whatever!!

Sorry, I feel as though I am going on and on here but I have felt the same as you at this time of year but honestly I think you should embrace having this time to yourself. Its OK to be on your own...

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but please take care and maybe 2020 will be a good year for you??

I feel better myself for writing to you today, so there you go, YOU have done ME a favour this afternoon..

XXXXXXXXXXX

5 likes
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to En1234

Thank you for your lovely message. I hate belong alone. I wish I could enjoy it like you. My family are rude so I can understand why you want to be alone. I don't watch TV anymore it's rubbish.

The problem with my phone is that it's always on and no one sends me a message anyway.

Thank you for the invite, this is the sort of compassion that I need and warms me every time. I don't go out or drink or anything like that. I'm isolated with no real friends.

Again, I hate being on my own. I have a sight disability and immense emotional stress from it and I really depend on others to keep me going. x

3 likes
En1234
En1234
in reply to Mhatso

So sorry your not feeling any better. If you have a laptop you could choose a movie to watch if there is nothing good on the telly. Something funny, that will give you a good laugh, (One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - always has me in stitches and I don't know how many times I have watched it). Or immerse yourself in a good book. A thriller maybe..? An audio book might be good..?

I know what you mean about family. I made a real effort this year and spent time at my mum's for Christmas. She made us a lovely Xmas dinner. There was me, my son, my mum, and my dad and my nephew and the cat!!. The only person missing was my nephew's dad (my brother).

He didn't contact us to say he was/wasn't coming and my nephew, who lives with his gran was really upset that his dad didn't appear. He is 14 and is aware that his dad is a drug addict and prone to the odd disappearing act but at Xmas..??? My mother has spent the last 3 days going back and forward to his home (which is quite a distance from where she lives), trying to find out if he was even still alive, that's how worried she was.

But then she phones me, one word bothers another and we end up having an argument, because I always end up getting the brunt of it..???

I am the one who is always there to listen. I am the one who always takes time out to visit, but I am the one who she has fallen out with yet again...?

So, yes....families can be awful, but what can we do??

Try and do something nice just for you..

XXXXXXX

1 like
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to En1234

I think I have seen that film but I do not remember it. I do not really watch films on my own anymore. I just watch YouTube live videos and do some programming. It is the only thing I can do really. Unless someone wants to adopt me and teach me some new and interesting things!

It must have been difficult. We do not need the stress of families because that is all they usually are really. Although the cat would have been a nice enough reason for me because they are amazing bundles of joy.

That is really sad that you have to deal with those thoughts and concerned. I hope you find him and give him the help he desperately needs.

Typical really, it is always the child's fault. It is the easiest way to wash their hands and blame someone else, I know all about that myself after being the victim an uncountable amount of times.

We can just say 'no' really, but in this horrible society. No doesn't mean 'no' to a lot of people.

I am trying my best. I assume you are too. Thank you for your sad story. I hope you feel better soon. X

William3747

Yes sometimes you feel lonely especially around Xmas and new year but we are with you

3 likes
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to William3747

Thank you. It's the worst time of year for me.

book_life

If you need to talk I'm here

1 like
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to book_life

Thank you. I always need to talk. Very kind of you to offer.

book_life
book_life
in reply to Mhatso

I can relate

1 like
NeuronerdDoaty

I love being alone. I might have problems from head injury because I don’t feel lonely.

May I suggest you try everything the world has to offer? Make your life big. Do things. Your brain will be full of interesting things and certain days don’t matter.

I’m going to start the violin. My daughter and granddaughter just started fencing.

There are definitely cheaper things but when your life is full there is no lonely.

Take care of yourself and mind.

Doaty💛

1 like
Mhatso

I wish I could love being alone like yourself. I have a severe disability so I have to rely on a second pair of eyes most of the time.

I hope you ace your violin, an instrument is always a good way to cope. I had a go at the piano but I cannot read sheet music and have concentration issues.

2 likes
NeuronerdDoaty

I have a now grown son who is severely vision impaired. He came to my house at age 3. He’s 30 now. Poor guy despite his desire *not* to try the violin with his mom he’s going to! I pulled the mom card. Lol! I feel sorry for anyone who might hear us. His wife swears she’s going to refuse to cook those days so she can take herself out. I don’t blame her. 😁

1 like
Mhatso

Well it is 2020 after all. Women should have the choice! 😉

1 like
Notknitting

Same here.

1 like
William3747

Hi still thinking of you this morning , hope you got through yesterday eve ok. Here’s to a good 2020 , happy new year

1 like
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to William3747

Thank you, that is really kind of you. You too.

En1234

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Lets leave last year in the past now and concentrate on good things to come in 2020. They say if you are going to make any New Year's resolutions they must be things that are realistic. I am going to start walking again (sitting here with my coat on getting ready to go and because this is something I enjoy it wont be a chore!!) and counting my blessings and having a glass full rather than half empty!! All sounds very clichéd but "doable". Onwards and upwards!!

XXXXXX

1 like
Mhatso
Mhatso
in reply to En1234

I wish I could walk more. I need a second pair of eyes though and a hand to hold. Hope you manage your resolution. x