Mental Health Support
22,835 members13,619 posts

I feel dead

I hate myself to pieces. I have no friends or family that I can turn too. I have completely isolated myself from the world and people. I feel I’m physically here but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually dead. My ex narcissistic best friend of over 22 years ( only friend and person I ever loved in this world) told me a person like me who has no friends is considered dead and that I chose to have no friends. I ended it with her by saying “I need a break” that was 6-7 months ago. She doesn’t acknowledge my feelings or opinions since her feelings growing up were never acknowledged. I miss her so much and did spend some time with her yesterday but I left feeling more depressed because even though she listened to me she didn’t understand my pt of view and that kills me. I don’t know how to be a normal person; I don’t like to be around others and truth be told I don’t meet people with my interests or who get me so I’m all alone in this world. I don’t know how to find friends. I’m just venting. Sorry

22 Replies
oldestnewest

I know how easy it could be to isolate yourself from everything and everyone.

You don’t need to hate yourself, what your going through is the same as a lot of others.

Small steps stay strong

1 like

Thank you Jax’s. It helps to know I’m not alone.

Your far from alone! Stay safe

2 likes

Thank u

I just want to say firstly; I know exactly how you feel. I had completely isolated and dissociated myself, from everyone and everything. The same thing happened with my best friend also. And when that happens to between you and your platonic soul mate, it destroys you inside.

Different upbringings and lack of knowledge in this kind of stuff, is heartbreaking. But I've learned to accept that people will never truly know how you feel, not even the closest person to you. It's not the nicest of feelings, but you have to know that it's okay to feel that way. Everyone does at some point (and others more often and to a greater extent).

If you don't like to be around other people (like me), then you have to learn to enjoy your own company, and understand that the way you're feeling isn't your fault, it's completely valid. Try and reason with yourself? Don't instantly put yourself in the defeated box, muster up any strength you can and then outweigh the pros and cons. If there is even one pro in this outcome, it's a positive to latch on to. And think of the cons as learning opportunities rather than mistakes. It's worked for me, but it took a ridiculous amount of time. But you do start to feel better when you appreciate even the smallest of positive things.

This probably won't help, but I empathise with you and wanted to try and at least give some advice. If you can call it advice!

4 likes

Hi Corpses,

You brightened up my day. What helps you cope with not being with friends? Thank you for sharing your story with me. It’s awful when the closest person to you can’t understand anything you feel. I hope you continue to do well

I'm glad! That definitely brought a smile to my face, knowing it made your day just a little better!

I don't really have a lot of friends anymore. And the ones that I do live far away. But that's by choice in all honesty. I'd say it's highly dependant on whether you need to be around people/need physical acknowledgement or whatever. I don't love my past or myself. But I certainly don't hate either. My past put me in this situation and if you have to start from the bottom, what better place to start? Sorry I'm digressing ha.

I cope because I need none of the above. At the moment my life is super mundane, but it's my life and I happen to like it! If you need the things above and feel like you can't move on without it. Just think that you could almost certainly do anything better than any friend. You can make yourself laugh, you could learn, you could cook or whatever. You have the ability to do it better than anyone else, because you're the only one who knows everything about you! I'll always be listening to Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up. It's a great song and people find it funny, I like that, it makes me happy. Just grab anything you can and run with it basically

Sorry for rambling, it's just what I do

I completely understand and sympathize with you. I need food and good tv. I am robotic at work so I’m not all lazy. Thank you for helping me. I like that you didn’t advise me to make new friends because I have tried but I can’t offer them anything and they can’t offer me any thing as well. I do make my self laugh and cook too. So true:) I can’t believe someone out there understands me and is living a similar life to mine. Thank you:)

2 likes

I wouldn't advise you to make new friends, because that usually involves too much physical and emotional investment. And it is usually never lasts long. People are out for themselves (in the bad way). I'm on a couple of social media networks, none of which are mainstream. I never message anyone first, I wait for people who are interested in my likes and dislikes to message me. That way I know who has potential to become a friend!

I laugh at myself while cooking. It's the best combination of things by far! And believe it or not; there will be at least one person who will at least have some understanding :) I chanced going on here tonight. I saw what you posted and thought "wait a minute, I know this situation". I honestly just wanted to give a little back to someone!

Just always remember: you're not alone, you're absolutely allowed to feel the way you do, the small things matter way more than you think and if something crappy comes up your way, take a step back, breathe, think rationally and do what's best for you

3 likes

Wow! I feel like we would get along because we get each other. I agree with every word you said. I feel so comforted now to know I’m not alone in not wanting to be around others because honestly when I do talk to others they dismiss my feelings or change the subject to their situations. Sometimes they need me to do something for them which is usually the case. Thank you so much for reaching out to me:) I feel very grateful to you.

3 likes

We probably would get on so well! And that's the way I feel with others. They only need you when they're upset, you give everything to them and they just don't care when you need a shoulder to cry on. So I just prefer my own company and a glass of wine!

And it's not a problem, I feel better for knowing you feel better. I'm smiling like a school kid who just found out their crush liked them :)

2 likes

Lol same here! Finally I’m smiling. I think they turn to us because we are so empathetic to others so they drain us of that energy. I totally agree. I’m glad you feel happier now too:))

Talking is important to some people, I listen to LBC or talkRADIO and find it sometimes enough to get me by in conversation. I practice on my brother. The other thing I read selfhelp books and youtube on motivation or mindful meditation or something. Overcoming depression vy Paul Gilbert has a lot of cognitive behavioural techniques and is quite an interesting read. But I am also reading with Library and this gets me through the day - less bored

Thank you so much for your support and advice. I am also watching YouTubex ted talks, and reading self help books. Thank you :)

I also feel dead inside at times, and I agree with some of the other posters here that people are for the most part only out for themselves. I have a few close friends who I cherish greatly, in particular one who I have been friends with since I was in 8th grade. He is such an awesome guy and we hang out every week, and he is one of maybe two people I have met my age who actually care about my well-being (they both ask and get concerned with how I am feeling) and that is beyond awesome. Plus, they have been making plans to hang out first quite frequently. I would like a girlfriend but seeing the state dating is in today makes me want to just forget about it and focus on the friends, great hobbies, and other things I have such as school.

Please hang in there, you are one in a vast sea of people that is going through the same exact thing right now and you are certainly not alone. I also agree making friends is not an easy task.....especially nowadays, just let people come to you. If they don't pick up a new hobby, work out, listen to music, or travel somewhere. Do something for yourself. I am going to upstate NY in two weeks and am greatly looking forward to it.

Thank you for sharing your story. It is very comforting to me. I hope you find a great girlfriend. You seem so caring and sweet.

What specifically are your interests. Do you feel lonely because others can’t understand you? Some of us are deep thinkers and some like my husband are light hearted. I think I’m in the middle? I like quirky stupid stuff. But I also like deep serious conversations with intelligent well informed knowledgeable people. They are not easy to find. So if there’s something that interest me I read about it. No two people are alike. I like the beach but my curly hair then gets frizzy. and that’s such a hassle. to worry about. Beach lovers would not relate to my frizzy hair issues. I’m using this as an example to your situation. If it helps? Your friend who’s known you for so long and knows your ups and downs might be feeling a little frustrated that she wants be a helpful but might be feeling she can’t? So it’s not easy to identify what could help you. Have you given others a chance to know you better. and if they did get to know you better, what do you think they will say to you? I’m thinking if you write down all your interests and personality traits down on paper, you can get a good idea of what can bring you closer to others when your in the mood to be near them. I value my alone time to contemplate my day or days ahead. I think about what someone said to me or visa versa, i also call up a friend or two when I want to have a connection. I’m also married and my husband and I give each other space when we need it. I have several hobbies and interests. and occasionally I can be lazy. and just cook and eat and watch tv. But most of the time, I like researching, painting drawing, and I took acting classes for a year, then piano classes, I also went on hikes with husband, I learned how to make marshmallows.. sorry for going on and on. My point is, I do many things on my own. No friends unless I invite them. Balance is important to me.

I hope things will improve for you soon, it looks like you’ve made a few friends here from the other posts that replied to you. My answer was long winded but maybe there’s something there that you like? But if not, it’s ok. Take care be well. 😊

Your post was very helpful to me. I just read it so sorry for delayed response. I think I have fallen into a deep depression and just feel numb to everything. I am slowly trying to find new interests but it’s hard. I have tried to open myself up to others but can’t connect to others. People tend to want to use me and not want to hang out. I value my alone time alot now because I fear being manipulated and used. Thank you for your advice and support. Hope your doing well

1 like

Little steps.. each day perhaps can be built to better days. I made a friend not too long ago., I don’t think we have much in common yet., I’m much much older. She’s a young mom. But we can relate a little as moms. Maybe not a whole lot of things in common but it will take time to discover what things we can. Share. I don’t bug her much and she had issues with lost trust from past friendships. I think some of us carry a load of unpleasantness around. But what we can do is reach out to others from time to time, share a little of your self with strangers, nothing too big or scary., just while your standing in line with other people. say hello and throw out there a comment about the weather, or how long the line is .. etc These little efforts can help you get use to talking to others.

Thank you for your support and helpful advice. I am currently trying to do this and it helps in the moment. Hopefully I will eventually become more social. Wishing you all the best

1 like

Your very welcome 😊

You may also like...