Mental Health Support
21,515 members12,970 posts

DBT self help recommendations

Hello everyone ☺️

So over the past 5 years I have been given many diagnoses from many different mental health professionals. The latest diagnoses has been BPD (borderline personality disorder). I’ve heard that the best way to treat this is with DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy).

I am currently living abroad and will be returning to the UK in the new year to get a full time job so I don’t feel like I would have the time to go to therapy sessions. Therefore I was wondering if anyone has any book recommendations or self help methods related to DBT?

Day to day I’m very erratic and my opinions and outlook on life changes a lot, which makes it hard for me to stay at a job. (One minute I want to travel the world, the next I’m applying for the army, then I decide I want to be a postman?!😂) I’m turning 21 soon and it’s so important to me that I have a stable income. I feel like if I can learn to control my issues myself then I will have a real shot at whatever I want to pursue. I really want to be successful in whatever job I do when I return, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello and welcome sarah to this very supportive and caring community. I note that you are also on another community. Have you been prescribed any medication for the BPD may I ask as you don't mention any in your post or any other diagnosis you may have been given?

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

MAS Nurse and Moderator.

1 like

Hi! Thanks😊

The only medication I’m currently taking is for hypothyroidism. I have been put on many different medications for mental health in the past, but am no longer taking any.

The other diagnoses given to me over the span of 5 years are; depression, anxiety, paranoid schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, PTSD & of course BPD.

However, I don’t believe I can have that many mental health problems, and when I was diagnosed with BPD, it felt like the symptoms matched how I am- which is why I think DBT might be the best way to help myself.

Hello Sarah

You will be returning home soon so if it is possible wait till you get back home and see your GP. This will allow consistent treatment pathways as I understand you have not been given a diagnosis that seems to explain your concerns. Also what your future needs will be on your return home.

You seem to be jumping about a little as you consider how you wish to proceed with your future employment choices. Personally considering the Military or being a Postman, the only thing similar to both is you will need to wear a uniform.

You have not mentioned qualifications, this will most probably determine what sort of work you wish to proceed with. You could try putting out feelers to see what is available on your return in the New Year. Be consistent, Christmas hopefully will allow you to calm down over the festive season and so how you go then

BOB

Thanks for the reply😊

Personally I’ve found that when I go to the GP to seek this kind of help, the only options they have available are therapy courses, which have a long waiting list and only the most serious cases get accepted (if you are actively suicidal- which I’m not.) That’s why I’m looking for alternative/ self help methods.

As for the job, I’m looking into doing an engineering apprenticeship and I don’t have any real qualifications except GCSE’s.

Sarah

The Military do Engineering training, if you have the tickets. I was being selected for Fighter Control, I was a Controller/Electrical, Telecommunications Engineer and ended up being a Planning, Design/Cost Engineer. The training is quite intensive so you need to be able to train at College. An Apprenticeship, the Military may Help however your age may be a problem so you may need to start as an Improver, over eighteen. Do you have your Mathematics Science and Physics ? etc

BOB

We all start with the same qualifications so that should not put you off.

If you need treatment for your condition you should find you will not be penalised and you will get help with your DBT or BPD, they should arrange treatment for you, you are resident UK .

However Gemma has advised on a pathway you may find useful.

Let us know how you get on

BOB

Try getselfhelp.co.uk/dbt.htm or do a google search yourself on dbt free therapy online. All the best . Gemmalouise xxx

2 likes

Thanks, that’s been very helpful x

You're only 21 don't be so hard on yourself!

1 like

Dbt is Definitely a great idea, get the book if you don't have time for classes

1 like

Thanks Lauryl! Is there any particular books which are better than others?

Maybe have a look for some DBT websites or forums. There are many books available so maybe a ‘work book’ would be more practical for you. If you have a look on YouTube there are many videos on this therapy. I think DBT can be very helpful in your day to day management of BPD traits. Good luck !

Hi Sarah,

I love DBT!! My daughter and I did a year-long DBT class (DBT is excellent for anxiety, it's excellent for LIVING LIFE in general!!) and we used what the therapist referred to as "the Bible of DBT" : amazon.com/Skills-Training-...

Marsha Linehan, the author of the workbook, is the person who developed DBT

It's meant to be used in a class/group setting so the instructor explains all the modules- however, I think you could get a lot out of it on its own :)

You may also like...