Mental Health Support
19,444 members11,811 posts

Bipolar? Depression And Borderline Personality Disorder and Anxiety

So, Since November 2016, I experienced sudden and Unexpected bout of Anxiety and Depression that have made life since then Hell, i had and (Have) issues with a friendship that had been on the rocks and finally exploded (Metaphorically), I also during Xmas Lost a family member, Whom I was - int 100% close to, but close enough to feel the loss, and since then have been sinking deeper, August 2017... I experienced an emotional breakdown finally from those months of tension. However, Unusually over the past 4? Days (So far) I have been feeling unusually Hyped, And Like I need to be doing something like or else I will be so unbelievably bored, I have so much anger which is not really outward, Jealousy and Envy. I have always sort of had since 2016, A Manic like personality, Yet being 100% Depressed and Lost. I always feel empty too, and clouded mind with no purpose to live. I sometimes wonder to myself are my feelings real? Or am I acting this way without realising, I sort of wan't to get better but of other times I like the thought of having this illness, (Strange I know) My Mother has a Thyroid condition which might be related Maybe (?) and Has been unstable throughout my childhood, Alcohol etc... I just feel so unreal, It's slowly killing me... I Believed it was Borderline Personality Disorder but now I'm feeling this 'Rush' I'M not too sure :( Please help :( Thanks

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Sorry to hear that you're going through this. I have a dx of bipolar and have a thyroid condition. The two can be linked as an under active thyroid can mimic depression whereas an overactive thyroid can have symptoms of mania. I've had both. However you'll also see physical symptoms so if you're hyperthyroid you'll start to see sweating and increased heart rate. Hypothyroidism comes with feeling cold, slowed metabolism and eventually hair loss and other issues.

How did the psychiatric symptoms onset? The reason I ask is you describe them as 'sudden'. This isn't typical but is exactly how I describe my onset which happened very quickly. Around 10% of cases of mental illness are due to antibodies from your own immune system attacking nerve tissue and I do wonder if this is true in your case, especially given your family history of thyroiditis as this is almost always autoimmune related and is an inheritable condition.

In my case I put my focus on my gut as food intolerances are a very common trigger of autoimmune disease. I also got my thyroid levels checked at my GP and take thyroxine to ensure stable levels. I now follow a mostly plant based diet avoiding all grains, sugar and dairy and have had no psychiatric symptoms in a year. It might not be right for you but it's certainly something to think about.

I would encourage you to look at this as a physical illness and not just turn to a psychiatrist as they won't examine you - they'll just try to shut down your brain which isn't helpful unless you are a danger to yourself. Keep looking for answers - you can start by investigating your immune system and possible food sensitivity, including gluten, even if you have no gastric symptoms, and go from there.

2 likes

My Grandfather lived in Northern Ireland due to the conflict, and the History of mental illnesses, Began there, The sudden part happened just after a few amazing and also a few stressful moments, Many Actually, I usually have IBS like symptoms due to the crushing anxiety. I usually get so hot in bed, Even lying there and not doing much. I also have such cold feet for some reason. I'm only 14, But Trust me I know that this is-int due to my age at all, I just seem to get Borderline Personality like symptoms, and very recently 4 days of feeling great and a sudden peace, I change my mind absolutely every second and can never have the same opinion, I was checked as a Young Baby for Thyroid issues, I'm not sure what type but it makes my Mother seem crazy, Although I know It's not at all her fault. I'm just convinced this is something else.

(Edit) - I came back free from any detection of Thyroid ism, So I doubt that's it.

1 like

When they checked your thyroid did they also check for TPO, TgAb and TSI antibodies? At your age it's unlikely that your thyroid has failed, but it could be under attack. Your IBS may be a symptom of a serious food intolerance and be just another symptom of everything that's going on. Your anxiety probably hasn't caused the IBS - it's more likely the other way round. Don't underestimate the severity of a food 'intolerance' as it could be activating your immune system. Have a look into dietary illnesses, including celiac disease as they can all be related to both psychiatric and thyroid illnesses. In my case a strict paleo diet cured everything - I just wish I'd addressed it when I was young - it started when I was 15 and I'm 42 now.

I was a Baby when I was checked, So I wouldint know, Thanks but I believe its something different, I mean... Loss Of hope, Identity problems, Also The Anixety is just at school

1 like

Yes, it certainly sounds like your brain is suffering and it may have nothing to do with your thyroid at all. Just remember- brains don't just fail! It's a physical illness just like anything else. I'd seriously look at your immune system, if for no reason than to rule it out. IBS can be a sign of a food intolerance triggering your immune system (which is in your gut by the way). Those antibodies can then, over many years, start to attack other tissues in the body. In my case they started to attack my brain. Look very carefully at what you're eating - it can have a dramatic effect on the whole body.

1 like

Thank You

Just remember- you're only 14. You don't have to battle with this alone. Of course look into this yourself if you feel like it, but make sure you get all the help you need from your parents, teachers and anyone else you think can help. Good luck - there is an answer but you'll need to search for it. Don't ever give up!

Thank You, Honestly though, I don't know what I am :( I don't honestly know now whether these thoughts and feelings are genuine, or that I may be acting subconsciously, I do feel these things of course, I'm not lying but I'm so full of self doubt, The Night is so Painful. I have no ''Friends'' just people I call friends who are never there for me who alike with my family tell me to ''Start from Within'' and ''Suck it up'' And that horrifies me... No-Body Is there :( I'm not making excuses I Just needed that off My chest :)

1 like

Woowzers, what a impeccable 14 old you are, pretty smart i'll say. Its fab you've seen this problem early, it took me 10 more years! I have dealt with the same problems, and I agree it isn't helpful that your parents say those things. I would encourage yourself to try and not squeeze reassurance from them as this will only end in disappointment. Its totally ok to do that,they probably don't know what to do, my parents are too extremely black and white in their nature! Vent away here, everyone will always do their best being like minded and all. We're all friends, plus, I totally need one myself :)

Let us know how you get on with the doctors!

Big love,

Juice

1 like

Thank You :) But I don't really think longing for a breakdown in order for people to notice you is very smart :( I'm currently about to start therapy :/ So.. I may bring that up with them and if it won't work then I'm sure I can go back to the doctors. I'll let you know whenever it happens :) Thanks again for those kind words :)

Hey hey gal! The smarter we are the higher the chances are that your brain gets poorly, and overloaded and makes you feel like everything is turning in on you. You're doing an amazing job already of getting on a better path. Just think of it as your brain has a cold, and the therapy is a Lemsip! :) You should be proud of yourself, the majority of people would ignore the feelings you have, and would probably address it 40 years later when it's snowballed!

You reminded me to contact my doctors today! You can always change doctors when it's not working for you, there's nothing wrong with that either.

I'll leave you with a favourite albert einstein quote since you have big brains and all :) - 'Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's being'.

Keep in touch :)

big love

Juice

1 like

I just don't know if what I'm feeling is for sure Bipolar, Sometimes (Today) I'm Hyper-sexual sorry Too Much Information but also the sleeping, I can't stand the thought of going to sleep even though I may feel tired. My eating is terribly faint and I either eat Junk food or not at all without going hungry, Also Messaging things, and announcing things that I don't think about in terms of what I'm saying or doing.

I definitely identify with you, GimmeMore2017. After dealing with depression for years not being able to control my emotions properly, problems at the workplace and not being able to keep a job, I have been trying to figure out what really is wrong with me. My psychiatrist has tried so many meds with me, but nothing seems to be working. She mentioned me possibly having signs of Borderline Personality Disorder a few sessions ago, when I asked her if I might be Bipolar. You are not alone. *hugs

Hey, (that was my old account sorry for not replying) I too believe I have a Personality Disorder, I get one idea, off to the next, back to that one. Look at my forum posts for more detail if you want, Can't be asked blurring it out again haha, But Yes, I've just got so much hurt, Thanks I'm always here if you need advice, I'm not great but I can try :)

1 like

You may also like...