I'm 16 and want to be circumcised do I ... - Men's Health Forum

Men's Health Forum

23,126 members3,864 posts

I'm 16 and want to be circumcised do I need my parents consent?

Dexter214
Dexter214

I'm 16 an live in London I have thought about getting circumcised for a long time and have researched the subject extensively an certain that I want it done but I am unsure whether I need my parents to sign the consent form or can I do it myself

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Why would you want to do that? Its very uncommon to be circumcised and, tbh it looks weird and their are no Benefits for it, it’s such a big decision for a teen to make, yes they have to consent and they have to pay for it! Can you afford it? Have you really thought this through?

It’s not hard to pull your foreskin back and clean it tbh, is that what you mean?

I'm not certain on the rules in the UK but it is likely you do. You could wait until 18 when you can make the decision yourself. Be aware that this is a very large decision to make.

I'm fairly sure that here in the uk you can sign the consent form yourself at the age of 16.

The NHS will not do the op for you unless you have a problem with your foreskin so you may have to pay to have it done privatly

In the UK, a sixteen-year-old may grant consent for medical treatment.

The NHS only does circumcisions for medical treatment of disease or deformity. Do you have a medical indication that needs to be treated by circumcision? If you don't, then the NHS won't do it.

nhs.uk/conditions/circumcis...

If you don't have a medical indication, then you may pay to have it done privately. Do you have the money? If you don't, then will your parents pay for your sexual mutilation?

Have you thought about the life-long sexual effects?

doctorsopposingcircumcision...

Have you thought about the difficult, painful, six-week recovery?

Circumcision pain

Circumcision is a cutting operation. It is normal to feel pain during the surgical operation, however this is usually relived by general or local anesthesia.

One may expect pain after surgery until the incision heals. Ask your doctor for a two-week supply of an opioid pain reliever.

One may also expect pain when the sensitive head of the penis is exposed to friction from clothing, etc. It is no longer protected by the foreskin, so there is not much you can do about it.

One may also expect painful erections, depending on how much skin was removed.

Depending on how much skin was removed, there may not be enough skin left to allow for shaft expansion during erection and this may cause painful erections.

You may also experience phantom pain from neuromas that form where nerves were severed.

Masturbation after circumcision may be painful if you don’t use lubrication because of lack of gliding action.

Have you considered what these men have to say:

youtube.com/watch?v=gx_PoXm...

youtube.com/watch?v=NAHGFx9...

youtube.com/watch?v=g2CwHbC...

Are you comfortable with the multi-coloured circumcision scar that you will carry for the rest of your life?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circu...

Do you mind using lube to masturbate?

Lubrication.

Foreskin-deprived males who try to masturbate without lubrication are likely to suffer friction irritation and pain.

The best lubrication for masturbation is the human foreskin. The highly innervated, erogenous, internally-lubricated foreskin is secured only at each extremity and is not attached to the underlying shaft of the penis. It is internally lubrication with lymphatic fluid and glides up and down the shaft of the penis without friction. The foreskin is filled with pleasure nerves that are stimulated by motion. This makes it ideal for masturbation. Foreskinned males usually do not need additional lubrication.

Circumcision de-foreskins the penis, shortens the available skin and makes the residual skin taut and immovable. Nineteenth Century doctors thought that would make masturbation impossible. It did not actually make it impossible but it made it harder to do and less fun.

Circumcised guys who try to masturbate without lubrication are likely to experience friction irritation and pain.

If you don’t have a foreskin, then you will need external lubrication to compensate for the loss of your foreskin. You will need to learn to slide your hand up and down the shaft. Some males purchase a personal lubricant, which is designed to provide lubricant for sexual intercourse. Others may use petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline (which is greasy), baby oil, vegetable oil, or saliva. Some foreskinned males also like to use lubrication, although it is not strictly necessary.

Products with harsh and irritating chemicals should be avoided. Shampoo and body wash have been reported to cause irritation.

Soap dries out the natural oils so it should be avoided as a lubricant. It should be used only in an emergency.

There's absolutely no loss of sensations during sex or whatever after being circumcised!

There can be if you don’t need a circumcision, and this guy for some reason wants a circumcision, and we don’t understand why.

jaglad
jaglad in reply to timmyboy20

I guess I am one of the unlucky ones as for me there is definitely less sensation since I was circumcised.

Bucky85
Bucky85 in reply to jaglad

Actually, you are in the majority. Circumcision was started in the 19th century to remove erogenous tissue to prevent masturbation, which they believed caused insanity, so it is completely normal and expected to lose sensation after circumcision.

That is wrong. The foreskin contains a number of nerve endings in the Taylors ridged band. You may not have experienced a lack of sensation but if you are circumcised you will certainly have lost function.

That's exactly what the anti-circumcision movement wants us to believe. It's pure brainwashing based on nothing. Diverse studies showed that there's no difference in sensitivity between a circumcised and uncircumcised penis. I myself don't experience any loss of sensitivity after being circumcised. So please stop proclaiming that nonsense! Most members of the anti-circumcision movement haven't even experienced it themselves cos they're either uncircumcised or circumcised as a baby.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you. I work for a UK charity founded by a doctor to help men who have been damaged either physically or psychologically through circumcision. We have an extensive archive detailing the damage both physical and psychological that circumcised men have experienced, that is at present being used for research purposes. We hold conferences and events worldwide, we have a network of medical speakers and ethicists who are well qualified in this field and are training counsellors and psychotherapists to help men who have psychological problems following circumcsion.

Circumcision removes the foreskin that contains nerve endings that play an important part in sexual function. These were studied by Taylor Lockwood and Taylor and their findings were published in The British Journal of Urology in 1996. Circumcision for non-therapeutic reasons is not available in the UK on the NHS. In the USA it is a cultural practice and a money making activity.

Unfortunately there are also men who have a fetish about this practice.

Circumcision should almost never be needed. Alternative treatments are readily available ranging from simple stretching to less invasive surgical procedures. The foreskin should be treated like any other part of the body. If there is a problem with it, it should be treated conservately and only amputated if these treatments have been tried and failed.

A lot of circumcised men are psycholically damaged by the anti-circumcision movement itself! They told them over and over again that they have been deformed by being circumcised. It's logical they now need psychological help.

I dont follow your logic. If someone is happy to be circumcised then someone telling them otherwise should not matter. If they are bothered about it then they have a problem. It does not matter when someone is circumcised, they are losing valuable tissue like you would if you lose any body part.. If you are circumcised as a baby you obviously do not know what it is like to have a complete penis. It is like being born colour blind. You can live with it but it is not like having your full sight. If you have a fully operational foreskin but want it removed for no reason , the condition you are suffering from is body dysmorphic disorder.

You’re being very irresponsible and immature in your continual defense of circumcision. The evidence of sensitivity of the inner foreskin and the ridged bands was established many years ago. Also, damaged done to the glans by constant exposure is a well established fact. Most men realizing the damage they’ve suffered come to that discovery independently, and then seek answers. Several organizations around the world have developed in response to the need for psychological support in dealing with the profound feelings akin to rape.

Bucky85
Bucky85 in reply to timmyboy20

Timmyboy:

Here are three blokes who would disagree with you.

youtube.com/watch?v=gx_PoXm...

youtube.com/watch?v=NAHGFx9...

youtube.com/watch?v=g2CwHbC...

Bucky85

Timmyboy:

Circumcision amputates about 15 square inches of nerve-laden erogenous tissue. Sensation from all of that tissue is gone and won't come back.

timmyboy20
timmyboy20 in reply to Bucky85

Of course there are nerves in a foreskin but the point is that you don't need a foreskin for enjoying masturbation/sex. Since I've been circumcised I never experienced any loss whatsoever.

Bucky85

I am happy for you, but most guys do lose sensation.

I am not entirely sure about the laws in the UK. Technically, until you are of age, your parents are your legal guardians any any medical procedures (except for those required to save your life) have to be approved by your parents so I believe the hospital or doctor would be legally obligated to at least inform your parents. As to having the final word and decision I am not sure in a matter such as this.

You should however talk to your parents about wanting to have it done. If not for information at least for the fact that you might need their assistance once the procedure is done, if you live with them that is.

Best thing to do is consult with your urologist, or the private clinic where they would do it.

Good luck.

Hidden
Hidden

Age for consent in UK is 16 for surgery unless you have impaired understanding eg disabled

You may also like...