Looking for ideas or advice: Hi I'm new here so hope... - Mencap


4,775 members1,279 posts

Looking for ideas or advice

Sisterlookingforhelp profile image


I'm new here so hope this is ok. My brother is 28 with learning disabilities. He has no job or hobbies so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything. He's also mentioned finding a home to call his own so any advice here would be great too.


11 Replies

Morning, it sounds as if your bother needs support to achieve his independence. I am a professional that works with young adults with LD so this is a story I see every day. I guess the best advice I could give would be to speak to your brothers social Work team and see if you can explore with them exactly what services are available and accessible to your bother with your local area. There are so many great services that can be accessed that help with employment, social interaction and independent or supported living. Hope this helps 😃

Thank you for your reply. i keep seeing social workers mentioned and he has never had one. where do i start with this as i feel this is exactly what we need to help us? He has never had any help or support after leaving school so i guess my parents just thought there was nothing available but the more i look there is actually alot of services and more support than i thought

Hey, just contact your local council and ask to speak to the adult social care team. There is loads of support which they can help you access. I am a coordinator for a day service which supports young adults with exactly this sort of thing but my company also has supported living houses that have support workers on hand to help 24 hrs a day 😃

Thank you, im going to call them now 😀

Leosammas profile image
Leosammas in reply to Allequal

I have to agree with had been said already In order to get your brother help.

Any support that he will need , he has to have a social worker, social services are the people to start first.

So contact your local LA adult services and request an assessment to be done usually can take up to 3 months for them to do asseememts, if they don’t know if your family will take even longer. I take it by your message your brother has capacity? Meaning that he himself can get that assessment himself, and in fact once you do get social services involved if he indeed has capacity you won’t be allowed to do much social services will be more like he has to talk to us and make he’s wishes known to us .. it’s all about capacity and data protection so you yes you’re brother will need to get involved. Hope it helps. Take care.

Thank you for your reply. I am waiting for a call back from a social worker. I'm not entirely sure what you mean about capacity but it's not something my brother would be able to manage by himself but we'll see what they say. With covid thrown into the mix I am expecting a wait but the info I've received so far has helped us make a start which is great


Great. Well done you. Meant he’s mental capacity? Does he have capacity? If you don’t know or your parents don’t know. You may need to ask social worker to do a mental capacity assessment.

And by the way if he does not have capacity it will be unluckily they will allow him to live by himself they will digest a residential home.

So you all please please trust me on this I know how it is.

You need to sit together and find what is it you all want for him , him including.

What sort of care you want to be put in place for him.

You may also need to have a best interest meeting with ss.

As well as you guys as a family with him including need to decide also who will be responsible for he’s health and financial well-being.

So you may need to have an appointee for him or taking Deputyship for Health finance

Good luck.

Leosammas profile image
Leosammas in reply to Leosammas

Sorry suggest. Not digest.

Sarah_Mencap profile image

Hello and welcome

Your post is perfect :) It lovely to hear from siblings. Your brother is very lucky to have you looking out for him.

A few ideas from me - but I am sure lots of other people will have much better ones.

There are lovely befriending schemes in some areas - here is a bit more about it on our website - mencap.org.uk/advice-and-su...

This also includes Gig Buddies (but it does depend where you live) that might be worth a look - mencap.org.uk/get-involved/...

Finding work and a home of your own are very good goals for young adults like your brother. It very much depends what is available near where he lives, and how much support he would need. If your brother currently get support from any professionals - particularly a social worker/team - that would be a good place to start.

There are lots of different sorts of housing available - here is a bit more info - mencap.org.uk/advice-and-su...

There is also info about finding work here - mencap.org.uk/advice-and-su...

Please also feel free to call our helpline for a chat. They will be able to help find support more locally.

Finally, have you seen the SIBs charity which is just for siblings - sibs.org.uk/

I hope these ideas help a little

Best wishes


Hi Sarah

Thank you so much for your links and reassurance that im at the right place for help lol. i did look into the gig buddies last year and they replied to say there is nothing in our area and to keep trying. definitely something i will pick up again once lockdown is over.

is the helpline number 0808 808 1111?

I'll have a look into SIB's too, thank you :)

Hi Sarah, I'm new to your community and would just like to say the resources and advice you provide are invaluable. I very much look forward to being part of this network of support Mencap provides.😃

You may also like...