LUPUS UK
21,112 members16,732 posts

Lupus diagnosed

Hello

I've had the results of my blood tests and Lupus has been confirmed. I've been referred to a rheumatologist. Can anyone advise me of what happens from here? The GP appt was very short. I think my GP did really well to spot my facial rash when I went to see him about the acute swelling in my hands, wrists and elbows. I've been diagnosed very quickly.

I've woken up with a gentle butterfly rash across my face. "Grandma, why are your cheeks so red?" Asked my granddaughter aptly!

Thanks in advance!

Heather

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello HeKe, and welcome. Good to hear that you have got a diagnosis quickly. As to what happens next, the typical thing is that you might be started on hydroxychloroquine (to damp down your over-enthusiastic immune system) and a steroid like prednisolone (to reduce inflammation). But these conditions are very variable, so it will depend on your individual presentation exactly what the rheumy does. The LupusUK leaflet here is a good overview. lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u... Hope things go smoothly for you x

2 likes

Thanks. The leaflet is really helpful.

Hi Heather,

I am glad to hear that you have been diagnosed quickly; have you downloaded or requested our free lupus information pack? – Our information pack includes: booklets, guides, a list of LUPUS UK contacts who you can chat with over the telephone and a list of helplines lupusuk.org.uk/request-info...

We published a blog article called ‘getting a diagnosis of lupus’ which has a section discussing what happens next for those newly diagnosed, to read this article please click here: lupusuk.org.uk/getting-diag...

A malar (butterfly) rash usually appears when disease activity is higher or when exposed to a certain trigger such as UV light. To find out how rashes can be treated, you can read our booklet on lupus and the skin, click here: lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u...

Before attending your rheumatologist appointment you may like to read our blog article about 'getting the most from medical appointments' here: lupusuk.org.uk/getting-the-...

Please let us know how you get on, wishing you all the best.

Thank you so much for this fulsome response. I requested the pack yesterday and it has arrived today. My family and I are finding your support site incredibly helpful. I'm so glad to know there is such an upbeat, pragmatic supportive community for Lupus folk.

Heather

2 likes

You may also like...