LUPUS UK
21,384 members16,918 posts

Exercise during flare up?

I suspect I have Lupus and my ANA blood test just came back as positive mixed homogeneous and speckled titre 1:640. Fatigue is debilitating and my legs have been heavy and ached for 7 weeks, along with my fingers (I've had this on and off for 3 years). I'm a runner and I want to continue to exercise at a low intensity, but I'm worried that any exercise will lengthen and/or worsen symptoms. Does anyone know if this is the case? I'm sleeping so much, but at the same time I don't just want to lie down and let Lupus take over my life.

2 Replies
oldestnewest

If you can exercise, then I would do it. Start easy and then increase. Only do want you can tolerate.

Hi rencat,

Exercise is often shown to be beneficial in helping to manage symptoms like fatigue, weakness and pain in people with lupus so if you are able to continue then I would recommend it. You just need to be cautious not to push yourself too hard or continue to exercise if it is causing you pain. Some people may find that a relatively high-impact exercise like running can be painful for the joints so may switch to swimming or cycling if this is the case.

We have a blog article about lupus and exercise which you may be interested to have a look at - lupusuk.org.uk/lupus-and-ex...

We also have a blog article with information and advice about getting a diagnosis of lupus which may be of interest - lupusuk.org.uk/getting-diag...

If you need more information about lupus or LUPUS UK we have a free pack which you can request or download from our website at lupusuk.org.uk/request-info...

1 like

You may also like...