Advice needed for Lupus blood tests

Advice needed for Lupus blood tests

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, myofascial/central pain syndrome, CNS and PNS pain syndrome . I'm getting blood tests for Lupus.

Can any of these tests point to Lupus or provide false negatives?

AVISE blood test: ANA, dsDNa, anti-mutated citrullinated vimentin antibodies (MCV), complement receptor 1 levels on erythrocytes (E-CR1), and complement C4d levels on erythrocytes (E-C4d).

CBC with plat/diff

Comp. Metabolic Panel (14)

Sed rate

CPK Creatinine

Aldolase

Will these tests prove/disprove that I have/do not have Lupus? I'm terrified of false negatives. I had a neurologist test for ANA at Quest and it came back negative, but this is the rheumatologist's test.

Also, does this picture look/behave like the Lupus rash? Ah, I look so fat in this picture. All I really cared about was capturing the redness... This is the lightest it's ever been, and it can go away by the next day. I often get a light blush on my nose/cheeks when I go outside in the sun, but I can be outside in the sun for a little bit and not get any redness, too. My skin used to tan, and it doesn't burn. Does the Lupus rash behave like this, or is it always there, and does it always come immediately when you go outside. I take Retin A. Could this account for this picture? I don't put on my cheeks, though.

Last edited by

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Hi RobinsonF,

Certainly some of the tests that you have mentioned are used in the diagnosis and monitoring of lupus, most notably the ANA, dsDNA, complement and sed rates. You can learn more about these tests in our factsheet here - lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u...

The ANA is generally positive in about 95-98% of people who have lupus. The dsDNA is generally positive in about 40-80% of people with lupus, but is more specific to lupus than ANA, so a highly positive result is strong evidence for a diagnosis. Unfortunately autoimmune conditions are very complicated and the test results may not always be positive. There was an interesting post by Barnclown the other day about this - healthunlocked.com/lupusuk/...

We're not medically trained here, so I cannot comment on your face rash, but certainly a flushing of the cheeks and bridge of nose that reacts to exposure to sunlight could describe a lupus rash. This could also potentially be seen in rosacea though. For more information about skin involvement in lupus, please have a look at our booklet here - lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u...

You may also like...