Butterfly rash

Butterfly rash

Hi can anyone tell me if they think this could be a butterfly rash. I have not been diagnosed with lupus but because of my symptoms I think I my have it. I have recently been on holiday. This rash comes on my face every time I am away. I had been out in the sun for about an hour with factor 50 on. When I am away I always have joint pain, stiffness, muscle weakness heavy legs and some degree of fatigue. Sorry for the unflattering photo lol. Would appreciate help with this. I am under a rheumatologist, see my last post for more info thanks in advance x

12 Replies

• I think it could be a malar rash. Keep taking pictures of that or any other sun related rash. Really, any rash. Then you can take it to your rheumatologist. If he/she thinks it is a lupus rash it can help with your diagnosis.

• Thank you x

• I have the very same rash, which is not recognised by my consultant, but my GP always say's when I she him and it is raised. I see your lupus is up! Strange but true!!

• I get the same rash, which my GP has told me to take pictures of to show my rheumy next time.

• I have not noticed on mine that it is raised but I was going by the shape and the fact that the rest of my face is white

• Thank you for the reply. Yes I am going to take mine with me when I go

• Hi Bev,

It's definitely a butterfly shape isn't it, so being in the sun caused your symptoms to get worse again then?

Have you got your rheumatology appointment soon, I think you told me in another post that it was July?

I hope you were able to have a nice holiday despite your symptoms, sorry they came back while you were away that's not nice but I guess it came at the right time if you're about to see the rheumy as it sounds like the sun and heat makes things worse for you.

• Hi Diane

Yes it is butterfly shape, that's what makes me think it is. It doesn't feel raised though, although some people says theirs doesn't either.

I think I was lucky this time though because although I had the symptoms they wasn't as severe has they have been in times passed, although some nights they woke me during the night.

I see the Rheumatologist on the 14th. I have now come to the conclusion that it cannot be a coincidence, as it happens every time, in one form or another.

I have been back 3 weeks now and almost back to normal.

I see my gp tomorrow so I shall ask her opinion. I have said to the Rheumatologist that I have always thought there was more than one thing going on with me, so maybe that is it, but still not sure.

The rash could also be rosecea as they look similar, who knows, I shall ask the so called experts lol

Take care Bev x

• I'm glad they weren't as severe this time, does the rash come and go or does it just lessen with time, does it ever feel hot ?

Hope you get some answers from your GP as well today.

Good luck Bev,

• It just lessens with time. Yes it sometimes feels really hot.

I seen my gp today and she told me to show the rhumatoligist when I go and to make a list of all the question I want to ask him.

Maybe he can throw some light on it, fingers cross

• I really hope so Bev, they should check your ANA, anti DNA, Anti Sm, Anti ds DNA and for Antiphospholipid syndrome I believe these are the ones they should be looking at to help with a diagnosis of Lupus.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Thank you diane will ask. Do you know if it only shows up when it is active

Thanks Bev xxx

You may also like...