21,646 members17,162 posts

Self Testing at Home in the USA-How to Approach & Get Insurance to Pay for Equipment

I live in New York City. It's not only unknown to me how to get my insurance to pay for home testing for my INR levels with APS, but don't know anyone who does it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get home testing paid for by insurance companies. I am a retired teacher with Medicare Advantage Plan meaning my insurance and Medicare are combined.

Unbelievably, it's almost impossible to get a rapid INR done in NYC-wow. Only know of one doctor who does it and she is not near my home. Venous tests are painful--(and leave black and blue marks) esp when done frequently

4 Replies

Hi Loretta, You are in the US I see. I do not know the answer to your question. Maybe someone else knows but may be unlikely as this is a website mainly for UK patients. But I think you may know this already.


Yes, I know it's mainly UK, but we have nothing like Health Unlocked in the USA so I'm so happy to find that there are some people from the USA on this site, and for sure, everyone has been so helpful to me since my stroke on March 1st and APS diagnosis.


If you have APS (Hughes Syndrome) post on the Hughes Syndrome Site on Health Unlocked, they are very helpful and have, I think, members in USA


Thank you so very much. I will do that. Have a beautiful day.


You may also like...