Washing powder substitute : I normally wash my... - LSN

LSN
4,538 members2,153 posts

Washing powder substitute

caroline111
caroline111

I normally wash my compression tights in washing powder for hand-washing clothes. But I'm going to run out soon and the shops seem to have run out too. Does anybody have any tips for what I can use instead?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

If you are using washing powder, just use a small amount, well dispersed in tepid water, and rinse thoroughly. It doesn’t really matter what sort of detergent you use, just so long as you don’t use too much. I do know people who use block or soap bars just applied on the ‘pongy places’ - feet & crotch!

Whereabouts are you? Our local supermarkets, now the hysteria has calmed down, have plenty of stock.

caroline111
caroline111
in reply to Lynora

I'm in Somerton, Somerset. I've tried all the supermarkets around me to no avail so just hoping they get more stock in before I run out completely. Will have to use a bar of soap directly applied as you suggest if I have to.

A small amount of baby shampoo or wash might work

That's a good idea. Thanks.

I've used both liquid handsoap and shampoo/shower gel. But bar soap should also work...

Also have you ever tried soapnuts? I use them for my usual laundry and they are also very good for handwashing. A fivehundred gram bag last months and months livewelluk.co.uk/products/l...

Have never heard of soapnuts before....! Just had a look and they seem a good idea. Thank you

You can use a little washing up liquid but really if the water is just hot enough that alone should be enough to get them clean.

You may also like...