Lyme disease and lymphedema: Does anyone else suffer... - LSN

LSN
4,459 members2,114 posts

Lyme disease and lymphedema

Snup
Snup

Does anyone else suffer also to Lyme Disease?

Are lymphedema and Lyme Disease related?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Sorry but I wouldn't have thought there was a link or causation, but I could be wrong!

Lymphoedema and Lyme disease are unrelated. Lyme dsease is thought to be caused by tick bites. Some peopel do feel it affects the immune system and gives rise to Chronic fatigue symptoms, which some people have found can be helped/eased with manual lymphatic drainage massage. But their is little evidence to support this.

Snup
Snup
in reply to buddlia12

I have some anecdote evidence only.

buddlia12
buddlia12
in reply to Snup

interesting... what is it?

Snup
Snup
in reply to buddlia12

People describing that they have swelling after tick bites and/or lyme disease. Also I have found short medical note stating: "spirochetes are changing architecture of lymph nodes" yet I couldn't find more info on that. After all the research I've done I didn't find much more so perhaps you're right that LD and LE are not related. But one day some scientists may discover that there was a link after all.

buddlia12
buddlia12
in reply to Snup

Thanks for sharing. Yes I think that's pretty much all I came across too. And of course any infective agent will give rise to localised swelling, but if the parasite infects lymph nodes, as with filariasis, then they would disrupt/destroy the lymph node and lymphatics which in turn would lead to a compromised drainage and cause lymphoedema. I have treated 2 people who had contracted Lyme disease from tick bites. They had no residual swelling, but chronic fatigue symptoms lasting several years.

Snup
Snup
in reply to buddlia12

Yes filariasis is known to cause that. Yet what might interest you - (I'm assuming you're a doctor?) I've discussed this topic with prof Olszewski from Warsaw who examined tissue samples from filariasis endemic regions and he didn't find link between LE and filariasis. I know this is quite revolutionary statement but this man is very serious scientist. I dont know what to think about it, as everywhere you read its stated that filariasis is causing LE.

buddlia12
buddlia12
in reply to Snup

That's interesting. I'm a Lymphoedema Nurse , not a doctor by the way. I've read research by Olszewski, though not this specific research. If the limb and genital swelling that some filariasis sufferers is not due to lymphatic failure caused by the damage by the nematodes, then what does cause their swelling?? What is your background BTW?

Snup
Snup
in reply to buddlia12

I'm software engineer. However I'm researching this topic as I have LE. Regarding your question I cant answer in detail - professor was doing examination of my leg and this chat about filariasis was a side talk, I was not pushing also as I doubt that my problem is filariasis based. But what I also understood, he was not saying that LE is not caused by filariasis. He said that he didn't found nematodes in the tissue samples. So if I would have to guess that maybe some toxins or enzymes released by nematodes are causing LE, yet this are only my speculations. I just wanted to add that he has huge experience and knowledge so I wont be surprised if scientists in the future will find something that proves his findings.

buddlia12
buddlia12
in reply to Snup

That's fascinating to hear. Thankyou for sharing. How amazing that you have been treated by him. His name appears a lot in the research and yes he is very respected inthis field. I hope you have good advice and help with managing your Lymphoedema wherever you live. All the best.

You may also like...