Living with Asthma
1,582 members344 posts

Weather and asthma

Yes. Weather, especially hot, muggy weather seems to affect my asthma. Strong chemical smells also affect it. But then again I tested positive to the entire trigger tests-so I have asthma triggers all year long. So, what else is new? Taking my meds help me stay in control and I am able to function well at work and at home. I keep track of the weather too.

16 Replies
oldestnewest

It's good to hear from you Campisa😊

How are things going?

They are going better especially now that the hot, muggy weather is on its final stages.

I am usually in an air-conditioned environment so I do okay.

Cheers to that!!

It's been super hot in Dallas too but today has rain and in the 60's-70's temperature so I hope it stays that way 😊

Yesterday it rained in NYC and I felt better because at least it wasn't muggy. I like

rainy days though. Hope it stays ok in Texas.

1 like

Extremes of weather certainly cause me trouble. I live in Northern England, which is typified by damp, windy weather most of the time with occasional severe snow or the odd heatwave.

Anything below freezing really 'clamps' my lungs; they feel so tight that I just can't breathe & putting a scarf over never helps as I feel like I'm suffocating.

The heat just makes me feel that there's no air to breathe. I'm not sure which of the two is worse to be honest!

1 like

Thank goodness you know what to lookout for. I know a lot of mine but not all.

1 like

Chemical smells get me too. Forget going down the cleaning product aisle in the store. Do you wear an asthma mask to clean?

1 like

I don't wear a mask but should.

Good idea!

1 like

I use a Cambridge mask with a valve that releases moisture. It's more comfortable in the heat.

1 like

That sounds great. Do you have a link? It’s been brutally hot in Florida so skipped the mask. Red tide put me in the hospital. I just can’t skip it.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Much better—wheeze Free, which I almost never am. Thanks.

1 like

Here's the one that has worked best for me. amazon.com/Cambridge-Mask-P...

Thank you!!

1 like

Here's a link to the mask I use: amazon.com/Cambridge-Mask-P...

1 like

My life had become the same way. 12 months out of the year there seemed to always be a trigger and the strong chemical and "road" gasoline, diesel smells are included

The heat and humidity was unbearable. I had the opportunity to move to another area of the US and I took it. A drastic action at my age but otherwise I was pretty healthy.

2 likes

You may also like...