Food Group Logic

We know that too much carbohydrate is toxic; diabetes. Yet it's accepted practice to advocate eating more carbohydrate than the body uses.

Some people believe that saturated fat is bad for us, the evidence for which is at best debatable, and some argue non-existent.

We are warned that if we reduce our starchy carb intake that because we are 'cutting out' a (man-made) food group this is dangerous, but it is recommended to cut out saturated fat, a food group that was consumed by everyone for two million years of evolution.

26 Replies

• Thank you Anup!

In the early days of cholesterol experiments, when rabbits were fed foods that weren't in their natural diet, they got heart disease of course.

What is less known is that dogs were thought not to be able to get heart disease because they remained healthy on a diet of natural fat and meat.

Modern feeding, of a high carbohydrate (dog biscuits) diet has managed to dispel that myth; dogs get heart disease as easily as we do!

• Pet dogs in Mumbai and Banjara Hills, Hyderabad are coming with problems of Hypertension and Diabetes. Thanks to experts called nutritionists and their concept of balanced diet :)

Why just dogs, even domesticated cats are becoming diabetic.

Aah!!!. Guess what the experts pass the blame on to?

SEDENTARY Lifestyle of dogs and cats now :) :)

• Now I see; those early experiment dogs must have remained active, LOL :-D

And those well-known endurance athletes that have type 2 are just freaks of nature?

• Here's one such news -- now dogs also injected with insulin. What a profit insulin industry must be having --

Even birds are getting diabetic. Sedentary lifestyle i guess. Brids are not flying enough and watching too much TV :D :D

What nonsense these experts talk of. I am one of the most sedentary guy that one can ever dream of -- 10 hrs on desk work mostly in front of computers -- but I am on LCHF diet :)

Thank you the so called expert nutritionists and dietitians!!! Horrific to say the least.

• I couldn't agree with you more Concerned - a few notes ago was diagnosed with steroid induced T2. I was given the carbs with every meal diet sheet and advice about diet and exercise - everyone is hoping that once the steroids have left my system I'll be ok, I was also given advice about what not to eat - the usual stuff plus grapes/pineapple etc.

After a week of wondering what was going on 'inside' me I bought a blood glucose meter and discovered that the 'healthy' carbs that I was eating- wholemeal bread, oatcakes, jacket potatoes all spiked my blood.

Fortunately I discovered the LCHF regime and by recording my bloods before and two hours after eating and writing everything I ate down I've been able to keep my levels really low. According to my Fitbit I get lots of carbs - they just come from veg that don't affect my blood sugar. I can eat a few boiled baby new potatoes with no effect yet jackets and made are a no go area for me. I wouldn't say I eat 'high' fat but I'm definitely not afraid to eat fat. needless to say I never eat cakes, biscuits or sugary foods, fizzy drinks - even diet drinks - chocolate etc. and I never snack between meals but I think the LCHF is filling enough that I have never felt hungry and been tempted.

• Hi Concerned,

It seems most people have bought into the higher carb way of eating. When I tried atkins years ago people were warning me that sorts of horrible things would happen to me, heart attack, liver disease, high cholesterol etc.

Sadly, I did not persevere because I found it difficult to maintain at the time. I have decided to go the route of LCHF once again as my circumstances are different, maybe the name should change to Right Carbs Right Fat?

Even now, on a healthy eating forum, it seems people are still quite vociferous and anti about anyone trying the LCHF route. I find this strange as it all makes sense to me, a balanced diet is the LCHF way.

John :-)

• It is possible to do Atkins' and eat unhealthily, or healthily.

• Fantastic - Right Carbs, Right Fat is the perfect way to describe the diet.

• The same problem is faced by cat owners who feed their pets biscuits AKA dry kibbled cat food. Throw bread onto the lawn and the cats don't pounce on it, they will pounce on the birds who do. Make an obligate carnivore eat carbohydrate and then wonder why they become obese, T2 and go down with kidney failure. I've spoken to vets - 7 years in training - who will argue with me when I point out the obvious or give me a blank stare. I've seen a cat die horribly of kidney failure who was fed exclusively on biscuit - something I'll never forget!

• Genetic, no doubt?

• This makes me feel terrible. My beautiful German shepherd had to be pts 18 months ago with kidney disease, and now my greyhound has it too. They were fed an expensive and highly regarded dog food brand reccommended by the vets as good for digestion. It was only last year when learning about my own carbohydrate consumption that I looked at what my greyhound was eating and realised it was about 60% carbohydrate. I switched her over to a different brand with predominantly protien and fat but too late, the kidney disease had already started. She's currently doing well with a prescription renal diet, but it's a lesson I've learnt.

• I'm so sorry for your sad loss, and I hope your greyhound is able to fully recover.

• Thankyou Concerned, it's not something they can recover from but the prescription diet is managing it very well, and I've managed to wean her to the lowest dose of painkillers for arthritis by glucosamine/ chondritin/ green lipped muscle supplements which helps as painkillers can also damage the kidneys. She's 12 now which isn't a bad age for a rescue dog so my aim is to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as I can ☀️

• Oh Fran! How horrible! I'm so sorry!

I'm now going to look at my own dog's diet and sort that out! :o

• thanks Moreless, it is worth looking at your dogs diet now, there's no way of telling how much my dogs diet may or may not have contributed to the kidney disease, they both only developed it after age 11, but it does make sense that their bodies will be even less well adapted to a high carb diet than ours as commercial pet food has been around for such a short time x

• I feel awful for not even thinking about her diet! She'll be chuffed to bits to shift over to meat :)

• I'm sure she will be very happy! ☀️

• She'll be eating better than us! :)

• Thanks Bigleg, we are stuck with the prescription renal diet now because it has to be low phosphorus, and she is doing well on it at the moment,but in the future I will make sure any new dog has a more natural diet from day one.

• It verges on the criminal. We fed the cat we lost dry cat food exclusively, but that was 20 years ago. I have argued the case with a vet. student and she wouldn't shift her opinion that dry carbohydrate is good. Then there was the cat food that killed many cats because Taurine was absent. Good news for them dispensing eye watingly expensive meds!

Dog/biscuit - it's an oxymoron.

Our cats are fed tinned food (80% water - cats have a poor thirst response and they get all their water from that) and ham from Lidl along with raw frozen pollack which they adore and cleans their teeth.

• I understand that a small amount of vegetation is good for dogs due to the foraging ancestry of wolves, but I'm not a vet.

• LCHF... This is one I've not come across before. Can someone give me the basics? Or is there a thread on here I can check out? :-)

• You could have a look at Michael Moseley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet or just google LCHF Diet and see what comes up. Loads I imagine.

• There is loads... Of conflicting information! :-D

• There are different variations Fatterthanever; most focus on eating real food in preference to processed food.

I estimate how much carbohydrate I eat, keeping to between 40g and 50g of low Gi, low fructose carbs each meal (less for breakfast). Since I'm not aiming to lose weight, I eat sufficient natural fat (mainly mono-unsaturated and saturated) to maintain.

I also have a sensible amount of non-starchy vegetables and a palm-size of natural protein food at most meals.

You may also like...