Potato-rich diet 'may increase pregnancy diabetes risk'

bbc.co.uk/news/health-35261184

I don't get why Public Health England are allowed to say "The evidence tells us that we need to eat more starchy foods, such as potatoes, bread, pasta and rice, as well as fruit and vegetables to increase fibre consumption and protect bowel health".

It completely ignores the harm that is caused by high IGF-1/insulin/blood glucose levels.

For years they've been saying we can't advocate a low-carb diet because we have no evidence of the long-term impact. Well, we have evidence of the harm of fructose, and high-Gi foods, but it's okay to keep advocating those? It doesn't make sense!

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Couldn't agree more - it makes no sense at all. I've found that bread no matter if it's good wholesome whole meal, potatoes, pasta and rice all spike my blood glucose massively so I'm on the LCHF - I avoid the NICE 'recommended starchy foods' mentioned above and while I don't deliberately eat masses of fat because I don't really like fat on my food, I eat grass fed butter and avoid low fat products like the plague.

• Not all bleak though as this debate from Diabetes UK shows promise diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Ne...

The doctor also provides training which is based on tailoring carb intake to the client's needs.

• Whilst that's true bigleg, our body does attempt to synthesise any glucose deficit. If we have too much carbohydrate, the excess is turned to fat. The Perfect Health Diet points out the optimum level is likely to be between these two states, and I have found this to be the case.

• Ketones is like Jet fuel for brain. Body just needs 30 grams of irreplaceable-by-ketones glucose. All that talk about brain needing hefty amount of glucose is NONSENSE. In fact, an ADULT's brain needs 40% less glucose compared to a new born.

• If it were like jet fuel I wouldn't aspire to it; putting your body/brain into overdrive will cause faster ageing.

It depends how keto-adapted we are as to how much glucose we can replace; there is evidence that our body increases stress hormones while on a very low carb diet, and since it reverts to using carbs when we eat them (albeit this may be a defence to stop glucose levels soaring), eating the amount we use seems optimal.

• I have seen these, and it is important to bear this in mind; people do have different tolerances, and avoiding high insulin/IGF-1 levels is as important as avoiding high blood glucose levels.

You may also like...