That's Life!

Things that are culturally accepted as the norm may have a detrimental impact on our hormones. Yoghurt or baked beans for instance are low Gi, yet spike insulin. Tea, coffee and energy drinks contain caffeine of course which is a stimulant that affects cortisol, blood glucose, and thereby IGF-1/insulin.

Even fruit with its healthy image bears little resemblance to its natural derivatives, having been selected for its sweetness. It is a dessert; sugar!

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • We recognise naturally that we sleep to alleviate fatigue, yet we undervalue sleep. Sleep is a time for glycogen to be replenished, when brain function is altered to facilitate this. Daylight has a vital impact on this, yet many people fight this circadian rhythm.

Sometimes progress really does work in our favour, such as catch-up TV and recording that enable us to enjoy modern technology and still centre our sleep around hours of darkness.

• And, what if one maintains a non diabetic blood sugar (and many have conformed a complete absence of IR by testing for fasting insulin) despite taking beans, coffee and tea? Removing beans also doesn't leave much for vegetarians on LCHF. Because, if beans go then technically all legumes should also go for the same reason -- making life yet more difficult for vegetarians.

shrisamarth is a vegetarian diabetic and he runs one of the best sugar levels without drugs and he has beans as integral part of his life since quite long.

• My understanding is that it is the processing of the beans that causes the anomaly; dried beans that are soaked then boiled are fine I believe.

You do raise an interesting point though anup; just because people have a certain ideology doesn't ensure their health. The evidence shows that vegetarians and omnivores have similar life-expectancy, so even if they were less susceptible to heart disease, they must be more vulnerable to say cancer.

As for tea and coffee, yours is an interesting n=1 study. I'm merely espousing a logical hypothesis; people drink them for their stimulant effect, and that means having highs and lows by definition. As with sugar, I think the detriment of this is being underestimated.

• Tea coffee is usual beverage on my forum and I don't see anyone reporting problems. So, its way beyond n=1 :)

• How many of them are able to test their insulin/IGF-1 levels around the time of drinking the stimulants? Otherwise you're confirming that cultural acceptance deters people from scrutinising such practices.

As used to be the case with smoking, the onset of chronic ill-health is so slow and insidious that people are slow to realise, but if we recognise that a drug is having an effect we know the body is being disrupted in some way.

• How many mainstream doctors even order a fasting insulin test on a diabetic ever, though it should be. That said, many do monitor 60,90,120 minute sugar levels, specially if changing something. So, if FBS is landing fine, PPBS is landing fine, drugs are down, TG is in the 100's, IR is down -- I don't see any reason why we should be eliminating what is working?

Researchers set out to do these micro level analysis only when they have to "bash" something or else "market" something. That's my view going through papers. Right now, there are tonnes of "research paper" coming "marketing" bariatric surgery as the next best stuff.

• As a noted doctor said, we don't find who is the fastest runner by asking contenders to sit in a chair. The resting levels give an indication of how the body is coping at rest, but to test how the hormonal/nervous systems are truly affected, we need to test them under stress.

• But, "STRESS" itself is not definable explicitly and many a times reasons goes undefined / unaccounted for. It's an Open Ended variable, just like "Allergy", IMHO. It's an easy escape route for modern medicine.

• What enjoyment is left in eating once you take all these out?

• Real food? Vegetables of all kinds, whole-grains such as bulgur wheat and quinoa, proteins including fish, seafood, fats like nuts, coconut, avocado plus spices, condiments such as lemon/lime juice or vinegar etc; there really is a long list MrsBooboo.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't eat fruit either, just that it's overemphasised; this pudding is being touted as a healthy breakfast, and the sad thing is it is healthier than the processed junk that passes for food. There's no enjoyment in ill-health.

• Learn CARB, Fat Protein counting. Restrict carbs to 20% of estimated energy intake, ensure Good FAT 60%+, balance protein, and eat whatever you want to eat.

Make glucometer your friend and monitor PPBS aggressively and adjust portion size.

You may also like...