Lean meat?

Conventional advice is for our protein portions to be lean; cut off the fat to save calories and reduce saturated fat intake. Bad news; lean protein is the fastest way to deplete the liver of vitamin A. Experienced hunters avoid lean meat because they know it will end in sickness and diarrhoea, even eventually death.

We should always eat the fat that accompanies protein in nature; don't go for the low-fat fad, if necessary eat smaller portions.

Last edited by

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • All dietary advise from mainstream is to create more problems than solve it :)

• Lean meat is dull and boring anyway!

• It's difficult (though not impossible) to purchase fatty cuts of meat in the UK if you have to rely on supermarkets, easier if you have access to a good local butcher but not everyone does.

• I was eating a pork roast at Debenhams with my little boo the other day. I had this internal fight with myself over the fat and crackling. I kept thinking I must cut off the fat. No.. no I don't I eat it. Just a little crackling, no..no all the crackling with the loose fat on it aswell. I ate all the meat and fat, left only the spuds on the plate. I felt satisfied afterwards.

This brain washing is annoying me. I had a tiny bit of single cream left in the tub with fruit in a bowl. I thought, I will chunk the rest. No... I don't I add the rest to the bowl and eat it all.

• Sorry if I sound uneducated about fat. All I read is that it's healthy to eat oily fish (omega 3 of course), extra virgin olive oil or macadamia oil, or things of similar nature. While I'm aware of some latest research shown animal may not be our enemy, i.e. the discussion on butter and margarine. Are there not other sources for Vitamin A? Is it really safe for people to keep quite a bit animal fat on (like the french with their goose fat and red wine)? Are there not health risk? I mean, I'd love to hear we can leave the fat on, after all, things taste a lot better with the fat on, especially for someone who like meaty snack and sausages.

• Have you read this position statement? xperthealth.org.uk/Portals/...

and this meta-analysis? ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

The best source of fat soluble vitamins will always be natural fat westonaprice.org/health-top...

Do your meaty snacks/sausages contain additives or carbohydrates that disrupt hormones? If so, they still aren't good for you.

• Still reading the first article, looks like a conference proceeding, and the references are really good.

What do you think of their recommendation?

nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv...

About meaty snacks/sausages, I make my own meaty snacks, and read label when buying sausages (and any other food for that matter). To be honest, there're very few sausages with little additives. In fact, my experience is most ready meals have quite a bit additives. So to be relatively E number free, the solution is to cook meals from scratch. So I can control what's in it.

• Just curious, what's your opinion on the new Atkins's diet?

• TBH, I haven't read it properly yet. I bought it ages ago with a few other books, and they peaked my interest more at the time.

I've started reading it now you've rekindled my interest though.

My initial thoughts are that it can certainly be a good eating plan for life, done properly. I, like many others, focussed on the low-carb aspect years ago, which didn't agree with me. However, the focus on vegetables particularly in the later stages looks promising.

You may also like...