Long Term Impact : Ketogenic Diet

Are there studies on larger groups about the long term impact (5+ years) of Ketogenic diet on type II diabetics? Alternatively are there studies on people with other conditions that could possibly be applicable to T2Ds ? I am looking at specific answers to the following queries:

1. Does it mess up uric acid ?

2. Are there supplements or is there an additional dietary intervention that can continue to provide the benefits of a stricter low carb diet while maintaining the blood pH balance (e.g., upping vegetable intake)

3. What are the top 3 supplements to manage a ketogenic diet on a longer term basis while containing the side effects (if any).

4. Is V-LCHF an independent variable in dyslipidemia ?

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Thanks. Prompt as ever. I did go through this one earlier. We need a bigger longer study it seems. Gut microbiome does take a hit (N=1). Potato starch can be disruptive in my case. Home made sauerkraut is a better option for me along with OptiBac extra strong (20 bn + if I remember correctly). The disapproving doctor mentioned that monitoring urine micro albumin may not be a bad idea. Docs push back on LCHF / V LCHF (what else) whipping up fears of messed up lipids and declining kidney function.

Great you have a mindset resisting doctors who have a mindset.

2 likes

Bernstein, Bernstein, Bernstein. Coolest T1 on the planet!

Super post. Haven't seen this, thanks!

2 likes

Because of the lack of fibre, I add acidophilus to the diet. Also Raspberry ketones with fibre.

1 like

Great. LCHF community needs express answers as any test report (why lipids of course) if off pushes one towards the mainstream healthcare experts which is a frustrating disorienting experience as ultimately they do not have answers. The choice is - oral medication for glycemic control and a little more carbs (not a choice for sustained LCHFer) or do your LCHF if you will but then statins are a must (again not a long term choice).

A lot of esoteric questions that could go on forever.

Keep it simple,

If in doubt, eat like your grandparents who lived to 80 plus.

1 like

Thanks for the helpful inputs. Will do a rethink on my lipids tracking. ApoB / A-1 seems to be a better area of focus. I wish I could manage with 100g or below. I shoot beyond an eAG of 125 and that isn't too exciting.

1 like

I'm not sure about a ketogenic study specifically, but the longest study of LCHF has been the history of human-kind.

As a species we are only just recovering some of the stature we enjoyed pre-agriculture. I don't think there's much doubt that we had to adopt agriculture to avoid starvation, but for the modern food industry to claim grains should be the majority of what we eat demonstrates a bias that does not have our health interests at heart.

2 likes

You may also like...